Spez power saddle

Coolspin

For anyone considering the Spaz Power saddle, I'd also suggest the Farr saddle.  It's a similar size and shape, but I find it comfier than the Power saddle.  It's a lot cheaper too.  I have them on my road and MTB bikes and am happy.  I've used them for nine hour rides and been comfy (as comfy as you can be after being in the saddle for that long.

https://ridefarr.com/product-category/saddles/

Aren't the Farr's all one size?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long is Long?

If you think its blood flow, simply stand for few seconds, if goes away, then its saddle. If don't go away, curl your toes for few seconds to release pressure on bottom of your feet, if goes away, then shoe issue (pressure point).  Does numbness happen more on climbing?

My guess is bad insole creating pressure point restricting flow or shoes gone soft and creating cleat pressure .  

Sorry, after about 30 to 40 km, (my long rides are 60km) 

when I stand does help a bit but does not disappear.

I have got an extra insole in my shoes so perhaps this pressure point is something to do with that.

will pop in at concept store to get some new shoes, maybe then revisit saddle issue.

I have had a bike fit when I got the bike built, done by cycle lab when they were still in design quarter, bike is very comfy, just the pesky numb right foot I gotta try resolve.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Aren't the Farr's all one size?

They are 148mm. In between the 143 and 155 of Spez Power

Had mine for 2 years. One of the best investments I've made on my bike.

Works so well for me but hey...i took a chance after trying numerous saddles. All out butts are different!

I'd always been able to ride on most saddles and be semi-comfortable, however when I got a Spez Toupe saddle on my Tarmac we just didn't get along. Moved over to a power saddle and its been fantastic. For what it's worth all my mates that have one swear by it too.

Sorry, after about 30 to 40 km, (my long rides are 60km) 

when I stand does help a bit but does not disappear.

I have got an extra insole in my shoes so perhaps this pressure point is something to do with that.

will pop in at concept store to get some new shoes, maybe then revisit saddle issue.

I have had a bike fit when I got the bike built, done by cycle lab when they were still in design quarter, bike is very comfy, just the pesky numb right foot I gotta try resolve.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Damn 30 to 60km, nothing should happen over that distance no matter what you are riding on. There must be something more serious at play here.

I would say you should not have any issues on rides less than 3 hours if you setup is even close to optimal.

When you said long I thought 6 to 12 hrs in the saddle. I just got back into riding and have done 2 rides per weekend of between 4 and 7 hrs per ride and only issue has been chafing.

I say set your bike up first before changing the saddle. No need to go to the pros (do this if you want) but even old school basics should almost solve your issue. http://www.ucbikeride.com/bikefit.html

Damn 30 to 60km, nothing should happen over that distance no matter what you are riding on. There must be something more serious at play here.

I would say you should not have any issues on rides less than 3 hours if you setup is even close to optimal.

When you said long I thought 6 to 12 hrs in the saddle. I just got back into riding and have done 2 rides per weekend of between 4 and 7 hrs per ride and only issue has been chafing.

I say set your bike up first before changing the saddle. No need to go to the pros (do this if you want) but even old school basics should almost solve your issue. http://www.ucbikeride.com/bikefit.html

6 to 12 hours in the saddle, good grief my good man, absolutely not, would take way too much of my time away from beer drinking and generally behaving badly.

For anyone considering the Spaz Power saddle, I'd also suggest the Farr saddle.  It's a similar size and shape, but I find it comfier than the Power saddle.  It's a lot cheaper too.  I have them on my road and MTB bikes and am happy.  I've used them for nine hour rides and been comfy (as comfy as you can be after being in the saddle for that long.

https://ridefarr.com/product-category/saddles/

I second this, I have both the power (143) and the Farr saddle. I feel like the Farr is a bit more comfortable for me, perhaps it is because it is a little wider. 

Might not sort out your issue, have a proper fit done perhaps you might even need inner soles for your shoes.

• 9 months later...

My power saddle cuts of blood supply, after an hour I cant sit on it anymore. Feels like I am sitting on something sharp and my butt and hammies go's numb. Got a phenom pro and selle Italia that much better. Rather test that powersaddle first

I had a similar experiece with my power saddle, hence why I'm selling it now. I was also looking at the Phenom, what is your experience with it? I was also thinking of maby trying the Power Arc witch is slightly more rounded.

I had a similar experiece with my power saddle, hence why I'm selling it now. I was also looking at the Phenom, what is your experience with it? I was also thinking of maby trying the Power Arc witch is slightly more rounded.

I've tested and owned both the Phenom and Power. People absolutely love the Power, that was one of the reasons I decided to get one. 

Verdict: For me, the Power does not work, the Phenom is better in my opinion. 

I've currently have 3 Phenom saddles and will not get something else again - the correct width however is very important

any more details on cutting off of blood supply? was it a localized pressure point and where?

I ask because i've been testing a wider saddle for my road bike, and have Spez Power on loan for a week from Revolution Cycles in Cpt.

When I finally had the saddle in position that was most comfy, i picked up a pressure point near the sit bone contact with the saddle. It actually felt like the glute was particularly tight in that spot .As the work out progressed and i got warmer, the pressure point seemed to work away, and it wasn't a problem for the rest of the workout. 

I don't think the saddle caused it. Rather, it's a consequence of the previous day's MTB session. I'v noted that of late, coming off the MTB the hamstrings and glutes are a bit tight.

I've tested and owned both the Phenom and Power. People absolutely love the Power, that was one of the reasons I decided to get one. 

Verdict: For me, the Power does not work, the Phenom is better in my opinion. 

I've currently have 3 Phenom saddles and will not get something else again - the correct width however is very important

Why does the phenom work better for you? Is it round?

I ask because when i initially iftted the test Power, that ski jump at the back was causing me to slide forward (bad initial setup on my behalf). The phenom 'looks' like it has a shallower slope at the back, but i'm basing that off photos of the saddles. I also initially thought the power was a bit too flat, and again based off photos, the phenom looked rounder.

Why do people use the Power saddle? It was designed for triathlon and more specifically to allow the Time Trialists to  move their position more forward on the bike while keeping the nose of the saddle at the 5cm minimum distance behind the BB centreline. I see so many people using the saddle with a conventional KOPS seating position and then sitting on the less supportive nose area of the saddle. Surely longer saddles will work better especially those with more padding in the nose?

Why do people use the Power saddle? It was designed for triathlon and more specifically to allow the Time Trialists to move their position more forward on the bike while keeping the nose of the saddle at the 5cm minimum distance behind the BB centreline. I see so many people using the saddle with a conventional KOPS seating position and then sitting on the less supportive nose area of the saddle. Surely longer saddles will work better especially those with more padding in the nose?

On any bike where you spend alot of time sitting and grinding out miles they are stupidly comfy (obviously that is going to come down to each individual's build/preference) - what it is made for is kinda irrelavent if it's a good fit. The reason I moved away from it was because it is so wide I found it to interfere with my legs when I had the dropper down on descents.

If I wete to build a pure bred XC bike I would not even consider another saddle.

Archived