1000 Miler

cat-i

Couldn't find a thread for the 1000 miler. Dusty and Mrs Dusty finished earlier today in 6 days 8 hours. 

Massive congratulations!!!

Dusty I would love to read about all the details. What bike, lights, tyres, battery strategy, toothbrush strategy ... after you've slept, of course :)

I have also been following. Well done Dusty and Mrs Dusty! Agree, all that is needed now is a write up with answers to your questions.

They made it just before the storm hits. Not too good for the FC riders.

Including your own ride Gary, well done!

All the riders who finished on Saturday got caught in the rain.

Impressive performance by Wimpy!

Couldn't find a thread for the 1000 miler. Dusty and Mrs Dusty finished earlier today in 6 days 8 hours. 

Massive congratulations!!!

Dusty I would love to read about all the details. What bike, lights, tyres, battery strategy, toothbrush strategy ... after you've slept, of course :)

Wow. Is it 1000 miles? They finished in 6 days? Ultimate respect. That is one magic achievement.

All the riders who finished on Saturday got caught in the rain.

Impressive performance by Wimpy!

Wow, nice one

This is a great event. Brilliantly organised, although completely self supported. You chose your own route, but have to go through the virtual check points. We opted for as much gravel as posssible. There is live tracking, which was run by Gary vd Merwe(above) which works really well.

You must carry everything that you need to survive (it was minus 9 entering Colesburg this year and a fair amount of rain at the end!) and you need to plan your trip around arriving in towns to resupply and/or sleep. Not much is open in the back end of nowhere after 5 in the afternoons. We opted for bike packing bags and a backpack. Some riders opt for paniers. We used dual suspension mtbs whilst others, like Gary, use gravel grinders. As I get older my full sus becomes more and more attractive. If you want to race this, a hardtail is most probably the optimum bike.

My Mrs and I opt for early starts each morning (btw 12 am and 2.30 am) which gives us 100km under the belt before the wind comes up. We don't mind riding in the dark. We actually enjoy it. Others chose different stratergies. I use a Hope light (AA batteries) and my wife uses the extreme endurance light which is simply awesome. She did not have to charge it once on the trip, and it was not yet at 50% despite all the night riding. Yes, we do take toothbrushes, but then we tend to carry slightly more than the average rider. We also take 2 sets of cycling kit. We do this because there is a reality of having rain from Sutherland onwards and getting into wet kit in the morning is not great.

We slept in B&Bs, farms etc along the way. The more adventurous can sleep out if they want, but interacting with the hosts and people along the route is one of the highlights of the adventure for us. 

This is more than a race, it is simply a great experience seeing our country by mtb. We often went for periods of 6-8 hours without seing a car or anybody else. If you are thinking of doing an endurance cycle event, this is a great and affordable one to start with.

Pic by Charmaine Sander

post-6398-0-29729700-1530519931_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dusty

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wasn't freak having knee problems?

Yhea - and he was complaining about the rough ride on his gravel bike.