Triathlon training watch with HR & GPS

Dirkitech

You should go and read the shortcomings of the F5 before recommending it... GPS issues, ANT+/BLE sensor connection/dropping issues, OHR issues.... and yes I have a F5... and have first hand experience of the shortcomings!

Edit:  You will note as such I did not recommend the F5 in my earlier detailed reply.... better to get the 935XT which is all but name the F5 without the issues... but well above the OP's budget.

I had a Polar 920XT and it was more with Polar than i wore it.Also had crappy service from Polar so won't use their product again.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the help so far everyone! I'm really glad I asked because none of my reading thus far mentioned anything about straps for open water swimming!

I have some fun new reading to do today :thumbup:

Suunto Spartan trainer will do it all and for less than 4k brand new...

Suunto Spartan trainer is great value for money given the functions it offers.

This is a good place to do your research and make your decision:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

Please stay away from the Spartan Trainer. The wrist based heart rate is not accurate at all and a waste of function on the watch, and it's DEFINITELY not a openwater swimming watch as it's claiming to be. I have files to back this up

I have one and won't recommend it to anyone  :thumbdown:  Rather save up for a Garmin Fenix, or you can buy my Suunto for a lekker discount

Edited by Wil6

I had a Polar 920XT and it was more with Polar than i wore it.Also had crappy service from Polar so won't use their product again.

The 935XT is a Garmin -  expensive but one of the best multi sports watches you can buy.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/garmin-forerunner-935-depth-review.html

http://media.loot.co.za/static/gallery/previews/f/y/s/fysb-4980-g140/preview.fysb-4980-g140.0.photo.XGYD2C6622.jpg

Edited by _David_

This thread has helped me learn a lot faster in less time than my previous research. It has become apparent that my aims, ideals and budget are playing in 3 different parks so to say.
Thanks to some of the links, I've been getting better information and comparisons and unfortunately it looks like realistically I will have to look at pricier models like the Garmin 735XT, 935, Fenix 5, Suunto Spartan Sport and polar V800.

I came across this comparison chart from one of the links provided (thanks again!) and selected some these models for comparison:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator?comparison=yes&ids=69229,60067,72457,25838,34446,72322

It's really putting the experienced comments from all of you and the specifications from the websites into better perspective.
It looks like its indeed a case of waiting a month or so longer and getting a good watch from the get go, else a costly upgrade will be just around the corner.

One thing that I'm surprised by is what shaper says about the Fenix 5's issues. On paper the Fenix 5 (especially 5X) looks like the best but also great value for the price, yet the 935 sounds like it has less issues to deal with.

More reading is necessary. Back to google for me!

Edited by Dirkitech

The Forerunner 935 is rock solid and weights just 46g ("plastic version of Fenix 5). Don't use it for swimming; cycling and running though. GPS is spot on, so to the battery life and wifi is king. The apps been upgraded - awesome tp customise watch faces and data fields during those boring meetings.

Recommend - screen protector needed as the glass is not sapphire.

The Forerunner 935 is rock solid and weights just 46g ("plastic version of Fenix 5). Don't use it for swimming; cycling and running though. GPS is spot on, so to the battery life and wifi is king. The apps been upgraded - awesome tp customise watch faces and data fields during those boring meetings.

Recommend - screen protector needed as the glass is not sapphire.

Hi Keith. Just to clarify, are you saying you dont use it for swimming, just cycling and running?

I read that there are 2 different gps modes or something like that. If it is true, which do you use?

I read some debates about the sapphire glass vs normal glass and got nowhere fast. Some people insisted sapphire glass is unscratchable (still breakable though) and others insisted its a gimmick resurfacing from 1975 or so and that normal glass is perfectly fine.

Is the normal glass like a phone screen? In that case a protector would make perfect sense, maybe even for the sapphire version too?

Hi Keith. Just to clarify, are you saying you dont use it for swimming, just cycling and running?

I read that there are 2 different gps modes or something like that. If it is true, which do you use?

I read some debates about the sapphire glass vs normal glass and got nowhere fast. Some people insisted sapphire glass is unscratchable (still breakable though) and others insisted its a gimmick resurfacing from 1975 or so and that normal glass is perfectly fine.

Is the normal glass like a phone screen? In that case a protector would make perfect sense, maybe even for the sapphire version too?

I don't use the device for swimming only cycling and running the device is set to GPS + Glonass. Not the ultra track mode. Longest I've used it so far is 8 hours...could probably go a little longer.

Also use a Garmin cadence sensor. Seemless connection.

One lesson learnt - Vo2 max can be calculated, by the device, during a run. This can't be calculated for cycling unless one has a compatible power meter :|

The screen protector is so easy to apply, unlike a mobile phone, that I'll use one for any watch going forward.

This thread has helped me learn a lot faster in less time than my previous research. It has become apparent that my aims, ideals and budget are playing in 3 different parks so to say.

Thanks to some of the links, I've been getting better information and comparisons and unfortunately it looks like realistically I will have to look at pricier models like the Garmin 735XT, 935, Fenix 5, Suunto Spartan Sport and polar V800.

I came across this comparison chart from one of the links provided (thanks again!) and selected some these models for comparison:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator?comparison=yes&ids=69229,60067,72457,25838,34446,72322

It's really putting the experienced comments from all of you and the specifications from the websites into better perspective.

It looks like its indeed a case of waiting a month or so longer and getting a good watch from the get go, else a costly upgrade will be just around the corner.

One thing that I'm surprised by is what shaper says about the Fenix 5's issues. On paper the Fenix 5 (especially 5X) looks like the best but also great value for the price, yet the 935 sounds like it has less issues to deal with.

Good on you for taking advice.

The best among us learn from other's experiences/mistakes.

The majority of us only learn from our own experiences/mistakes.

The worst among us don't even learn from their own experiences/mistakes.

Happy shopping!

Edited by Rookie85

I can second any Garmin 935 suggestions. I've got one that I've used for a few triathlons (short ones only though, just started running and swimming earlier this year) and its been perfect.

Another vote for the Garmin 935, I have also owned a Fenix 3HR and 910XT in the past. I use my watch for road triathlons, open water swimming, MTBing and trail running without issue. Apart from having the latest features the light weight and long battery life is a big plus. And you dont need the expensive Garmin screen protector, I have friends who dont have one at all. I opted to go to a cell phone cover store and had a generic protective film put over for R30.

Edited by Sparkles

To give you more info with regard to the issues on the Fenix 5.

The Fenix 5s and Fenix 5 have different internals to the Fenix 5x and the majority of issues I mentioned are with the 5s and 5, not so much with the 5x.  It is something to do with antenna and signal strength in these models.

GPS issues:  All currently use 2 systems GPS (USA) and GLONASS (Rus).  GPS works no problem for cycling and running, but has issues with open water swimming.  As of last week there is a beta firmware out for the GALILEO (European) and should be pushed to the 5 and 5s shortly.... so hopefully will fix some of the GPS issues.

Sensor issues.  All F5's seem to work well with speed/cad sensors and HRM, but drops signal with a lot of power meters and foot pods.  If you don't have/use then will not be an issue.  STRYD foot pod have even gone so far as to warning with regard to this https://support.stryd.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003966373-Fenix-5-Fenix-5S

Optical Heart Rate (OHR) issues.  All of them suffer with erratic readings at times and is also affected by the pigment colour of your skin, bone density and watch location.  If you are on your bike and not moving your hands much then works ok.  If running or doing other high intensity workout with lots of movement of hand and arms, the readings can be well off and you are better to wear a strap such as the HRM-Tri, if you want to accurately monitor.

I have the F5 and is my daily watch/tracker and records all my workouts which is generally twice a day.... so have no problem using it, but have to work around the issues.  When cycling, I use my Edge520 so that can get accurate power meter readings.  When running, I use the HRM-Tri strap.  Pool swimming is not an issue as it records laps no problem and have to live with whatever I record when open water swimming, sometimes is spot on, other times not so.

Of the all the Fenix 5 watches the Fenix 5x is the best of the bunch.  The only difference between the Fenix 5x and the 935XT is that the watch body of the 935XT is plastic rather than metal.

Slightly off topic, but to take note.  I watched a vlog by DC Rainmaker last night doing an open water swim test of the Fenix 5 plus and the Suunto 9.  The latest watches.... and both produced garbage !!

Edited by shaper

To give you more info with regard to the issues on the Fenix 5.

The Fenix 5s and Fenix 5 have different internals to the Fenix 5x and the majority of issues I mentioned are with the 5s and 5, not so much with the 5x.  It is something to do with antenna and signal strength in these models.

GPS issues:  All currently use 2 systems GPS (USA) and GLONASS (Rus).  GPS works no problem for cycling and running, but has issues with open water swimming.  As of last week there is a beta firmware out for the GALILEO (European) and should be pushed to the 5 and 5s shortly.... so hopefully will fix some of the GPS issues.

Sensor issues.  All F5's seem to work well with speed/cad sensors and HRM, but drops signal with a lot of power meters and foot pods.  If you don't have/use then will not be an issue.  STRYD foot pod have even gone so far as to warning with regard to this https://support.stryd.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003966373-Fenix-5-Fenix-5S

Optical Heart Rate (OHR) issues.  All of them suffer with erratic readings at times and is also affected by the pigment colour of your skin, bone density and watch location.  If you are on your bike and not moving your hands much then works ok.  If running or doing other high intensity workout with lots of movement of hand and arms, the readings can be well off and you are better to wear a strap such as the HRM-Tri, if you want to accurately monitor.

I have the F5 and is my daily watch/tracker and records all my workouts which is generally twice a day.... so have no problem using it, but have to work around the issues.  When cycling, I use my Edge520 so that can get accurate power meter readings.  When running, I use the HRM-Tri strap.  Pool swimming is not an issue as it records laps no problem and have to live with whatever I record when open water swimming, sometimes is spot on, other times not so.

Of the all the Fenix 5 watches the Fenix 5x is the best of the bunch.  The only difference between the Fenix 5x and the 935XT is that the watch body of the 935XT is plastic rather than metal.

Slightly off topic, but to take note.  I watched a vlog by DC Rainmaker last night doing an open water swim test of the Fenix 5 plus and the Suunto 9.  The latest watches.... and both produced garbage !!

My Suunto Spartan Trainer does the same. This was the screenashot of two openwater swims. It was a normal out and back swim in a lagoon in a relative straight line. Distance should be about 1.2/1.4 km, and my Suunto's readings was 2.2 and 2.6km...what a piece of garbage.

post-14677-0-17249800-1530770888_thumb.jpg

post-14677-0-96712500-1530770970_thumb.jpg

According to them, the watch is working perfectly. 

My Suunto Spartan Trainer does the same. This was the screenashot of two openwater swims. It was a normal out and back swim in a lagoon in a relative straight line. Distance should be about 1.2/1.4 km, and my Suunto's readings was 2.2 and 2.6km...what a piece of garbage.

I think all the watches struggle with GPS signal lock whilst open water swimming.  The Fenix 3 I had did pretty good, My Fenix 5 is hit or miss.

As a general multi-discipline watches the Fenix 5 and Suunto work well, but if like me you train and race to numbers, both power and HR then you have to work around these issues to get the right info.

Was considering the Fenix 5 plus, but having seen the vlog on how it performed am thinking twice about forking out that kind of money and will just likely live with with my Fenix 5 which for the majority of its use does what it is meant to do.

Edited by shaper

I think all the watches struggle with GPS signal lock whilst open water swimming.  The Fenix 3 I had did pretty good, My Fenix 5 is hit or miss.

Yeah, the GPS signal doesn't penetrate water too well so the watch tries to get it's position in the second or less that it is out of the water on each stroke hence the inaccuracy.