Triathlon training watch with HR & GPS

Dirkitech

Yeah, the GPS signal doesn't penetrate water too well so the watch tries to get it's position in the second or less that it is out of the water on each stroke hence the inaccuracy. 

The problem I have is with my watch, it's marketed as a openwater swimming watch/triwatch, but what makes it different from another cheaper GPS watch?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Fenix 5, up until just over 3km recorded gps without issue then just stopped recording gps, timing still continued and worked fine for the rest of the race through transitions and lap switching to the other disciplines.  Overall time was within 2secs of official finish time.

But for some reason it lost gps on the swim and never regained it until I was out of the water.

post-33015-0-18040400-1530790856_thumb.jpg

My Fenix 5, up until just over 3km recorded gps without issue then just stopped recording gps, timing still continued and worked fine for the rest of the race through transitions and lap switching to the other disciplines.  Overall time was within 2secs of official finish time.

But for some reason it lost gps on the swim and never regained it until I was out of the water.

Is the issue with the fenix 5s and 5 gps a hardware or software? Do you know if or think it will get better with a possible future update, if there are such things for the watch?

Is the issue with the fenix 5s and 5 gps a hardware or software? Do you know if or think it will get better with a possible future update, if there are such things for the watch?

Is an issue with the 5s and 5, not with the 5x which has different hardware.  As I said in one of my earlier post they have done a few firmware tweaks and there is an update 9.53 (beta) which is adding the Galileo gps which is meant to be a more accurate system https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11663

The update is only a few days old and has not pushed through to my watch yet.  At the time of my signal loss in April, firmware was 8.0.

Once weather is warmer and I can do an open water swim, will test the Galileo gps to see if there is improvement

Is an issue with the 5s and 5, not with the 5x which has different hardware.  As I said in one of my earlier post they have done a few firmware tweaks and there is an update 9.53 (beta) which is adding the Galileo gps which is meant to be a more accurate system https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11663

The update is only a few days old and has not pushed through to my watch yet.  At the time of my signal loss in April, firmware was 8.0.

Once weather is warmer and I can do an open water swim, will test the Galileo gps to see if there is improvement

I just realised reading that part of your old post and not understanding. It makes perfect sense now though. Are the updates performed automatically through wifi? It seems like a slow process...

I just realised reading that part of your old post and not understanding. It makes perfect sense now though. Are the updates performed automatically through wifi? It seems like a slow process...

Most updates take a minute or two at most.  5s and 5 do not have wifi only the 5x.  If it is a minor update, garmin generally download via your phone and then bluetooth to the watch.  If is a major update, the watch will tell you there is an update available.  I usually then connect my watch to the computer and update via the garmin express software.  All updates once out of beta testing are automatic.

I don't use the device for swimming only cycling and running the device is set to GPS + Glonass. Not the ultra track mode. Longest I've used it so far is 8 hours...could probably go a little longer.

Also use a Garmin cadence sensor. Seemless connection.

One lesson learnt - Vo2 max can be calculated, by the device, during a run. This can't be calculated for cycling unless one has a compatible power meter :|

The screen protector is so easy to apply, unlike a mobile phone, that I'll use one for any watch going forward.

Sorry I am hijacking this thread but what Screen Protector did you get for your 935 Keith?

Sorry I am hijacking this thread but what Screen Protector did you get for your 935 Keith?

Bedifol Brotect matte screen protector from bike24.

Easybike normally have stock; just not at the time I needed. (Brotect Screen Protector - Forerunner 935- R 199)

Easybike normally have stock; just not at the time I needed. (Brotect Screen Protector - Forerunner 935- R 199)

Thanks so much Keith, can't see anything on EasyBike but have popped them a mail!

Anyone know if the Fenix 5 Screen is any different in size to that of the Forerunner 935?

Thanks for that. I was looking for a screen protector for my Edge 520. Easybike has them.

Thanks so much Keith, can't see anything on EasyBike but have popped them a mail!

Anyone know if the Fenix 5 Screen is any different in size to that of the Forerunner 935?

Hi Cookie88

I hope that we have already assisted you with your Garmin Forerunner 935 Screen Protector.

We recently received stock of the following Screen Protectors

- Garmin Forerunner 935

- Garmin vivoactive 3

- Garmin Fenix 5S

- Garmin Fenix 5

- Garmin Fenix 5X

- Garmin Edge 520

- Garmin Edge 800/810

- Garmin Edge 820

- Garmin Edge 1000

- Garmin Edge 1030

- Polar V650

If you are unable to find them on the website send us an email and we will be able to assist you.

sales@easygis.co.za

We also have the Garmin Forerunner 935, Forerunner 935 Tri-Bundle and the full range of Fenix 5S, 5 & 5X units available. Checkout our website for more details.

- https://www.easybike.co.za/fitness-gps/garmin/multi-sport.html

EasyBike

Anyone with a view on the Vivoactive 3 Music? 

I'm not triathlete, but might in the not too distant future want/need a watch to track swimming laps and maybe (that's a big maybe) some open water swims.