Grease_Monkey

1x13
Hydraulic
Biggger range than Eagle
Small steps between gears
Road and mtb compatible
Modular
What looks to be normal Shimano freehub

So.... what do you guys think? Cool, or has the industry oficially turned into a proverbial arms race?

I'd actually consider it.

Very cool for it to be totally interchangeable between road and bike. The stuff you buy for your MTB can be used on your roadie or cross bike if needed.

Sounds expensive though.

1x13

Hydraulic

Biggger range than Eagle

Small steps between gears

Road and mtb compatible

Modular

What looks to be normal Shimano freehub

So.... what do you guys think? Cool, or has the industry oficially turned into a proverbial arms race?

freehub is different and only available for rotor hubs right now , its open source so other companies can make their own 

I'm very interested to see of this is as reliable as hydro brakes and how do you index the system 

freehub is different and only available for rotor hubs right now , its open source so other companies can make their own

I'm very interested to see of this is as reliable as hydro brakes and how do you index the system

With a different freehub that rules it out for me completely - for the time being anyway.

As for hydro - I don't see it as a plus point at all. Cables are easy to maintain and cheap - I think this could be finnicy, and judging by what guys on forums say about their older hydro groupset it's a pain!

It's pretty cool hydraulic gears and I get the more range is better thing but seriously where's it going to stop with a 15spd cassette?? And even with 13 gear's it is still not the same range as 2x11 as said in the vid.

It's pretty cool hydraulic gears and I get the more range is better thing but seriously where's it going to stop with a 15spd cassette?? And even with 13 gear's it is still not the same range as 2x11 as said in the vid.

It does kinda feel like it's getting ridiculous now. 1x12 has more than enough range and small enough steps between gears for mtb (in my opinion anyway) - but not for road. I get the apeal of this for something like a gravel bike where steps between gears need to be smaller, but I don't think it's small enough to make the change yet - and a 14 or 15spd cassette will just mean even wider hub spacing, ridiculous q factors for cranks etc etc.

I swear by 1x for mtb, but for road I'm not buying it....

They should have gone with an electronic shifting system I reckon. That would allow options for easy multiple shifts up or down that huge casette.

Hydraulic just feels backward to me. Hydraulic components by their nature also need to be pretty solid (=heavy) in order to deal with the pressures.

Looks great

Hydraulic brakes are soo much nicer than cable actuated, cable friction and maintenance a lot more than hydraulic.

Much less friction should equal easier shifting.

Also the problems on previous hydraulic shifting was on the front , not rear.

more gears = nice, range is slightly more, clever solution to the freewheel issue, we'll see if it is structurally durable. I think it is actually lighter than cable or electric.

I am biased against more electronics, complication possibilities and home maintenance.

Cross compatibility on road and mtb, awesome.

All in all a great concept 

I guess for brakes the benefit of hydraulics is the modulation. For gears, if the indexing is good at least there is no cable wear

Could be interesting, price dependant.

It's lighter than the cable alternative but the biggest highlight as mentioned before is the interchangeability.

It can be run as a road (with near identical range as a 2x11) or MTB set.

The same derailleur can be used with either a 12spd or their 13spd cassette. Indexing is set on the derailleur not the shifter, so you just flip a switch. So essentially you can run it with a NX 12 speed cassette on your Shimano freehub and have a hydraulic setup.

Also, its not a "oh no, not another gear" story. Too much focus is made on is 13 better than 12, better than 11 etc. It's just easier to quantify than shifting performance which is the actual measure in question.

Only time will tell. I'm super pessimistic as we all are with new tech. 

They should have gone with an electronic shifting system I reckon. That would allow options for easy multiple shifts up or down that huge casette.

Hydraulic just feels backward to me. Hydraulic components by their nature also need to be pretty solid (=heavy) in order to deal with the pressures.

I think electronic shifting is the way forward, with a 2x setup you would also only need one shifter and you get a much better range. But kudos to them doing something different.

Freehub is std shimano spline just 0.5mm longer to accommodate a longer threaded lock ring.

Can probably run a sunrace or shimano 11s cassette on the hubs with spacers