Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

Congrats on finishing the 2018 Cape Epic.

Also looking to get a coach so recommendations welcome!

What was your training plan like? Hours per week ect.

Hi

Yes me again :)

I see you in the Cape, http://www.daisyway.co.za - Erica might be a good place to start.

They can offer the complete package from coaching to event support and everything in between.

I did the expensive one with a coach and the complacent one with an online program.

The real coach is better but only if you engage with them. Ie give them weekly feedback. If you don’t, you just get a program through your mailbox each week and in that case you might as well use an online program and tweak it to fit your needs.

TP has them for sale at around $100 and fittrack.co.za has them for free...

I would also suggest you skill up. Granted the Epic is not overly technical, but when you 6 hours in, minor obstacles become quiet taxing.

Like I said in my first post. Welcome to the biggest adventure....

Edited by MarcL

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Yes me again :)

I see you in the Cape, http://www.daisyway.co.za - Erica might be a good place to start.

They can offer the complete package from coaching to event support and everything in between.

I did the expensive one with a coach and the complacent one with an online program.

The real coach is better but only if you engage with them. Ie give them weekly feedback. If you don’t, you just get a program through your mailbox each week and in that case you might as well use an online program and tweak it to fit your needs.

TP has them for sale at around $100 and fittrack.co.za has them for free...

I would also suggest you skill up. Granted the Epic is not overly technical, but when you 6 hours in, minor obstacles become quiet taxing.

Like I said in my first post. Welcome to the biggest adventure....

Thank you for all your info and tips, this is the kind of advice that makes me even more excited about the event.

I contacted daisyway but their packages is R3100 p/m which is a lot of money.

Also had a look at fittrack.co.za but haven't heard anything back from them and their plans only start in October, just scared if I start in October its to late ;-)

If you have the premium version of Strava, they have what they call Fitness and Freshness, which is the same thing but uses only cycling and running, where TP uses all training be it swimming, gym etc. so the TP one is always slightly higher than Strava.

I find the Strava option cleaner. TP is what the pros use and very detailed.

Another local option is fittrack.co.za. It does a similar thing and even includes an Epic training program.

There are many option with equally as many experts. You need to find what’s works best for you and your time / family contrainsts.

As I said in my previous post 60 is a minimum and 80 is better. Sure if you trying to be in the top half it should be much higher, but I just wanted to finish comfortably.

There a saying “Those that have not done the Epic ask where you finished. Those that have done the Epic ask if you finished”

Good luck - see you on the start line and if you near the back, finish line too....

For me at this stage it is all about finishing the Epic!!!

If you are close to Newlands, you can sign-up with the endurance studio. Comes with a program and costs around R480 per month, with unlimited access to Wattbikes and Grucox.

Tom

Thank you for all your info and tips, this is the kind of advice that makes me even more excited about the event.

I contacted daisyway but their packages is R3100 p/m which is a lot of money.

Also had a look at fittrack.co.za but haven't heard anything back from them and their plans only start in October, just scared if I start in October its to late ;-)

Hi

That price seems much to high. I would expect around R1500 - You might want to double check with her.

Other options are:

John Wakefield

Nico Pfizenmaier

Darren Lill

You have plenty of options but it will cost you north off R10k for the required time frame...

If you have the discipline, I would go the fittrack option but be honest with your riding. 

Even if their program only starts in Oct, start uploading your base miles now and it will adjust to your current fitness.

I used all 3 websites. fittrack for the program, Strava for a snap shot and TP to drill into it (More out of interest than anything else).

I did drop the $100 for a TP program, and still think fittrack is sufficient for a finish.

Another thing I tried to do was train in the hottest part of the day. It sucks but your body gets used to the heat and that will help during the Epic.

Enjoy!

If you have the premium version of Strava, they have what they call Fitness and Freshness, which is the same thing but uses only cycling and running, where TP uses all training be it swimming, gym etc. so the TP one is always slightly higher than Strava.

I find the Strava option cleaner. TP is what the pros use and very detailed.

Another local option is fittrack.co.za. It does a similar thing and even includes an Epic training program.

There are many option with equally as many experts. You need to find what’s works best for you and your time / family contrainsts.

As I said in my previous post 60 is a minimum and 80 is better. Sure if you trying to be in the top half it should be much higher, but I just wanted to finish comfortably.

There a saying “Those that have not done the Epic ask where you finished. Those that have done the Epic ask if you finished”

Good luck - see you on the start line and if you near the back, finish line too....

This ^

Key is to have a plan that both you and your team mate find achievable. IF not , it's going to be a far more humbling experience than it needs to be.

Those who know, understand that just finishing is humbling enough considering what riders have to deal with everyday through the event

Congrats on finishing the 2018 Cape Epic.

Also looking to get a coach so recommendations welcome!

What was your training plan like? Hours per week ect.

Daisyway have made a habit of taking the most unlikely people, keen on getting an Epic medal, and turned them into Epic finishers. They set realistic goals, understand that not everyone wants a Top 20 finish, and get you race ready. Not just fitness, but all the other stuff - nutrition, mechanical skills, Epic routines etc.

(If you do have Top 20 aspirations, then they are also the people you want to speak to)

*I've been with Daisyway for 11 years now.

Strong statement there uncle that road is junk miles, I respectfully disagree. Building base and riding tempo on road is invaluable for MTB racing.

You are right. Added a bit of agression for effect...

I was surprised by how many riders posted plenty 100+ km road rides on Strava - but when we arrived at the big stage races the wheels came off.

Everything in moderation.

Lastly - definitely find a good partner. This is meant to be an experience for life. We know of two teams that broke due to infighting... one team did finish but poorly. One didn't finish.

Speak to Nic White in Joburg. 95% of our coaching was email and telephone... he adds you on TrainingPeaks, etc and sends you daily updates. Awesome guy and knows his stuff, EPIC, etc.

Speak to Nic White in Joburg. 95% of our coaching was email and telephone... he adds you on TrainingPeaks, etc and sends you daily updates. Awesome guy and knows his stuff, EPIC, etc.

Contact details?

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you! Signed up with Nic White.

Well done. I started with Nic in September last year and finished in style. I sometimes questioned the “easy” training weeks, refer my suggestions above, but he kept things cool. He will give you the plan and check lists you’ll need.

Enjoy. It is great fun.

And hard work...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Welcome to the biggest adventure of your biking career.

Uncleslow is right on the money. I have finished 2 and the first one I was over prepared (read expensive) and for the second I was complacent and under prepared (read suffered!!!)

My tips are:

Hygiene is a must. I lost my partner this year to the bug. Hand cleaner all the time. Take off gloves at water points etc.

- Laundry service is worth it

- Drinks service not worth it in my view

- Eat real food only - no gels

- Massage service is worth it

- Bike serve worth it - I used Knipe Racing and Louis is fantastic!!!

Quality training is more valuable than quantity training

Do the Tankwa trek

Don't get sucked into a race, control your pace and keep your HR in Zone3 as much as possible.

Go Tubless and if 1X go with smaller ring than you normally use.

Make sure your bike is tip top (fully serviced - Knipe racing) with new chain, brake pads, tyres and sealant before the start.

If you use Strava (or Training peaks) you need your Fitness and Freshness (CTL on TP) to be at least 60 but preferably closer to 80 before the start.

Enjoy the adventure. 

some sound advice given by MarcL ...

if you can, stay in a B&B as the tented camp sucks.

Quality miles count... get used to climbing, riding technical terrain and riding in the heat. 

Get to know your riding partner and learn to communicate properly.

Don't get caught up in the excitement and go 'balls to the wall', because your will pay dearly for it later

Maybe get a coach.

Don't underestimate the Queen's stage ....does not have the title for nothing.

Good luck ...

Edited by ViperTrail

some sound advice given by MarcL ...

if you can, stay in a B&B as the tented camp sucks.

Quality miles count... get used to climbing, riding technical terrain and riding in the heat. 

Get to know your riding partner and learn to communicate properly.

Don't get caught up in the excitement and go 'balls to the wall', because your will pay dearly for it later

Maybe get a coach.

Don't underestimate the Queen's stage ....does not have the title for nothing.

Good luck ...

Thank you!