Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My fitness is now 100 but my fatigue is 99. What should my fatigue be at the start of the Epic?

:eek:  :eek:

a lot less than that!

Where is your TSB?

My fitness is now 100 but my fatigue is 99. What should my fatigue be at the start of the Epic?

I went into last years Epic on 55% fitness according to Strava... Needless to say, it wasn't a struggle to keep my bottom 10 finish for a 3rd time!!

Tom

If I recall, the preview video said that Jonkers was on the route... if so buckle up for some long descents on relatively tech trails. A full descent of the Phoenix or even Never Ending will be amazing...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, anyone taking up the Absa pride package? Any bad experiences with mechanical package?

Absa Pride package is one of the best. I know some of the mechanics and they never disappointed me. Strongly recommended to have a mechanical package, specially if does rain

Edited by Tony56

• 2 weeks later...

Spare a thought for Evan and partner from Canada preparing for The Epic in -30 degrees C.That is only 77 degrees C less the the temps they experienced in Hermanus 2 years ago.Flying in 3 days before the start.Best of luck!!

Spare a thought for Evan and partner from Canada preparing for The Epic in -30 degrees C.That is only 77 degrees C less the the temps they experienced in Hermanus 2 years ago.Flying in 3 days before the start.Best of luck!!

Two Canucks here who feel your pain! Prepping for the Epic in the freezing winter temps for the past few months and looking forward to some warmer weather in SA in a couple of weeks! 

Two Canucks here who feel your pain! Prepping for the Epic in the freezing winter temps for the past few months and looking forward to some warmer weather in SA in a couple of weeks! 

This is "easy" to overcome with implementing Heat acclimation protocols 12 days prior to coming over from such temperatures. Heat baths, sauna etc all work really well. 

Used for a athlete coming from Switzerland for Attakwas and also implement for local riders who battle in extreme heats.

This is "easy" to overcome with implementing Heat acclimation protocols 12 days prior to coming over from such temperatures. Heat baths, sauna etc all work really well. 

Used for a athlete coming from Switzerland for Attakwas and also implement for local riders who battle in extreme heats.

Great advice!. I have started using the sauna at the gym so help with coping with the heat. Especially after 1 -tonner 2018. I have seen improvement in my ability to cope with the heat.

Great advice!. I have started using the sauna at the gym so help with coping with the heat. Especially after 1 -tonner 2018. I have seen improvement in my ability to cope with the heat.

Good to hear, try the hot baths, have found those more effective with athletes than the sauna.

Good to hear, try the hot baths, have found those more effective with athletes than the sauna.

Will do! Any recommended temperature?

I wouldn't take any of the fitness or fatigue scores as a real indicator of your fitness. I went into last year's Epic with a Strava fitness score of 58 and finished in the top 150 as a 50 year old.

Use it as a tool to measure your progress but the actual number is not that important.

Good luck for the race. Make the most of it. You need to get to day 5 in reasonably good shape. If you're exhausted by then you are going to lose chunks of time the last 3 days and you will hate those days.

We started the race outside the top 200 and steadily worked our way up the leaderboard eventually getting into the top 150 on day 7. This was as much about us moving up the board by maintaining our pace over 8 days as it was dozens of riders who had gone from being in the top 150 for the first 4 days, to struggling to make the top 250 towards the end.

Current
  • FITNESS

This shows your change in fitness over the last 7 days
  • FATIGUE

ON
  • FORM

ON
Training Impulse 0
  •  
    - Fitness
  •  
    - Fatigue
420510152025303540OctoberJanuaryAprilJulyAprilJulyOctoberJanuaryAprilJulyOctoberJanuaryAprilJulyOctoberJanuary2019201620172018Mon 09/07
Don,t really know what this means ,but i have trained more than ever and as much as time allows me .From Strava 
Edited by arendoog

Current
  • FITNESS

This shows your change in fitness over the last 7 days
  • FATIGUE

ON
  • FORM

ON
Training Impulse 0
  •  
    - Fitness
  •  
    - Fatigue
420510152025303540OctoberJanuaryAprilJulyAprilJulyOctoberJanuaryAprilJulyOctoberJanuaryAprilJulyOctoberJanuary2019201620172018Mon 09/07
Don,t really know what this means ,but i have trained more than ever and as much as time allows me .From Strava 

Those numbers mean nothing without information on what they were when you started your training, You could be ready to give Gaze a hiding or you could be in big trouble.