Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No rumors as to the route yet?

Hermanus and Grabouw I presume sits more central, different routes and easy in terms of set up and logistics with Table Mtn as the standard prologue. 

Dont quote me though.

No rumors as to the route yet?

I women throw Swellendam into the rumor mill as well.

They have been building a lot of trail recently.

Hermanus and Grabouw I presume sits more central, different routes and easy in terms of set up and logistics with Table Mtn as the standard prologue. 

Dont quote me though.

I heard something of Bloemendal / Contermanskloof as prologue and time trail again mid week

Should of gone to the bookies on this.

Not sure you would have got much interest in that pony. ;)

However, had your analytical mind asked for odds on the route probabilities being outside of a 50km radius of any of the following: EPIC Bree Str HQ, Waterfront shopping, Table Mountain, Whalecoast Tourism, Specialized SA HQ/ Stillwater Sports and Val de Vie - then those would have been worth a flutter.

What would really be nice to know from you is, whether a Beers/ Hatherly combination has the ability to challenge? - I'm sure Specialized have asked the question. I'd like nothing more than to see the $'s being spent on the local guys with big engines and sublime skills.

Edited by tubed

Not sure you would have got much interest in that pony. ;)

However, had your analytical mind asked for odds on the route probabilities being outside of a 50km radius of any of the following: EPIC Bree Str HQ, Waterfront shopping, Table Mountain, Whalecoast Tourism, Specialized SA HQ/ Stillwater Sports and Val de Vie - then those would have been worth a flutter.

What would really be nice to know from you is, whether a Beers/ Hatherly combination has the ability to challenge? - I'm sure Specialized have asked the question. I'd like nothing more than to see the $'s being spent on the local guys with big engines and sublime skills.

They both ride Spez yes and are best mates but unfortunately they wont be riding Epic as a unit. Matt is still contracted under NAD Pro next year so the combo of him and Nico / Gawie will be the team entered. Alan races Spez factory.

I would personally love them to race it as a unit but for now that isnt a option sponsor and team wise.

Here you go.... profiles and more info on the route revealed - it will be the equivalent of riding up Table Mountain twice a day. Going to be proper!

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/new-2019-cape-epic-route-promises-spectacular-mountain-biking-2018-9

• After discontent about many gravel roads and lack of real trails, the Cape Epic organisers have struck back with a phenomenal 2019 race route.
  • It takes in some of the very best South African mountain biking available, routing from the Hemel and Aarde valley through to Elgin and then Stellenbosch.
  • The 2019 Epic will combine classic South African mountain bike trails and some secretive new builds.
Edited by wiledog_x

• 2 months later...

Is it just me, or is there more entries available on classifieds than previous years?

Seems as if an Epic entry has lost it's kick. :mellow:

Any Thoughts?

my 1c worth

I did my first 2 on supplements and on day 3 felt nauseous, got rid of supplements and felt better...found that ..

1. During any race event you tend to ride harder and you tend to drink more, your body can only store so much sugars, what does it do with all the rest it does not need. I am not saying this is for everyone, just found that at day 3 my body said enough with all these sugars. Only drank coke and other type replenishment at the water points, I.E, got rid of GU and front bottle supplement

All the previous advise given by these wonderful fellow riders will help get you to the finish line, but you and you alone will need to put in the training......that you know of course..

this to me is the EPIC:

1. 60% fitness

2. 30% Mental

3. 10% Luck

Best of luck with the training and enjoy every moment.... THAT GOES FOR ALL YOU DOING THE 2019 ABSA CAPE EPIC...

BOOOOOYAAAAAAA

Edited by Mental Mamba

• 2 weeks later...

my 1c worth

I did my first 2 on supplements and on day 3 felt nauseous, got rid of supplements and felt better...found that ..

1. During any race event you tend to ride harder and you tend to drink more, your body can only store so much sugars, what does it do with all the rest it does not need. I am not saying this is for everyone, just found that at day 3 my body said enough with all these sugars. Only drank coke and other type replenishment at the water points, I.E, got rid of GU and front bottle supplement

All the previous advise given by these wonderful fellow riders will help get you to the finish line, but you and you alone will need to put in the training......that you know of course..

this to me is the EPIC:

1. 60% fitness

2. 30% Mental

3. 10% Luck

Best of luck with the training and enjoy every moment.... THAT GOES FOR ALL YOU DOING THE 2019 ABSA CAPE EPIC...

BOOOOOYAAAAAAA

I like the 60/30/10, and agree fully!

I’m not sure if this has been covered in previous posts (I was too lazy to read back, so apologies if it is the case!).

A word on hygiene: I was a volunteer this year, and can tell you that I will avoid the food table at all cost. More than once I saw guys cowing down while sweating over the food on offer. Eating from the top corners of the baskets may be an option, but I’m not risking it.

A word on rest: the camp sites are HUGE! If you don’t take care, you could be spending a lot of unnecessary time on your feet walking around the camp. This has some implication for tent selection too... Airbnb dudes....

Otherwise enjoy and don’t take it too seriously! You won’t be winning the race anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Welcome to the biggest adventure of your biking career.

Uncleslow is right on the money. I have finished 2 and the first one I was over prepared (read expensive) and for the second I was complacent and under prepared (read suffered!!!)

My tips are:

Hygiene is a must. I lost my partner this year to the bug. Hand cleaner all the time. Take off gloves at water points etc.

- Laundry service is worth it

- Drinks service not worth it in my view

- Eat real food only - no gels

- Massage service is worth it

- Bike serve worth it - I used Knipe Racing and Louis is fantastic!!!

Quality training is more valuable than quantity training

Do the Tankwa trek

Don't get sucked into a race, control your pace and keep your HR in Zone3 as much as possible.

Go Tubless and if 1X go with smaller ring than you normally use.

Make sure your bike is tip top (fully serviced - Knipe racing) with new chain, brake pads, tyres and sealant before the start.

If you use Strava (or Training peaks) you need your Fitness and Freshness (CTL on TP) to be at least 60 but preferably closer to 80 before the start.

Enjoy the adventure. 

Thanks for all the awesome advise on this thread, really informative and underlines some things I've already found out which helps with the confidence in the advice. What do you recond the fitness/freshness must be on Strava?