Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

Strong statement there uncle that road is junk miles, I respectfully disagree. Building base and riding tempo on road is invaluable for MTB racing.

I think that he was saying that it's a fallacy that road is junk miles (if not I fully agree with you)

Where and how do you get your CTL? Is it really that important to train according to that info?

If you have signed up to Training Peaks the "Fitness" number is your CTL. You don't have to train to it but it's a useful metric to check where your fitness is.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that he was saying that it's a fallacy that road is junk miles (if not I fully agree with you)

If you have signed up to Training Peaks the "Fitness" number is your CTL. You don't have to train to it but it's a useful metric to check where your fitness is.

Does that require Premium Package of Training Peaks?

I don't think so, but I've had the premium package for a while so I can't remember if it was there before. Should look something like this on the Calendar view:

post-99881-0-78925800-1531986175.jpg

Edit: Yes, I know my fitness is not good, been a very hectic period at work so I hadn't ridden much leading up to last week.

Edited by Jehosefat

Where and how do you get your CTL? Is it really that important to train according to that info?

I use trainingpeaks for this - you can get garmin connect to interface to TP and it's just a single download.

Is it important? well - it's more important to understand that there is no benefit to training when you are fatigued - and it's just a theoretical measure of fatigue - one of a few - you really need to read Hunter Allen's  book on training with a power meter - this has clear explanations of all the metrics - and TP is basically built to help manage all the metrics.

https://www.amazon.com/Training-Racing-Power-Meter-Hunter/dp/1934030554 - the ebook version is a bit trickier to use than the paper edition because of the graph visibility I think - but it's fine - and easy to get.

wash hands often 

This! And as a supplementary - start training yourself to not touch your face.

Ears, mouth, eyes and nose are great entry points for disease - especially if you have scratches/blisters/skin irritations etc.

This! And as a supplementary - start training yourself to not touch your face.

Ears, mouth, eyes and nose are great entry points for disease - especially if you have scratches/blisters/skin irritations etc.

Don't touch your face... and wash your hands before washing your face - and wash your face every time you wash your hands.... so the routine should be hands first, then face, then hands... after EVERY bathroom visit, and before EVERY meal.

The other thing to remember is not to drink the shower water, and make sure you use drinking water to brush your teeth (and rinse toothbrush).

AND - keep your bottles clean (wash with soap and rinse with drinking water.

Don't touch your face... and wash your hands before washing your face - and wash your face every time you wash your hands.... so the routine should be hands first, then face, then hands... after EVERY bathroom visit, and before EVERY meal.

The other thing to remember is not to drink the shower water, and make sure you use drinking water to brush your teeth (and rinse toothbrush).

AND - keep your bottles clean (wash with soap and rinse with drinking water.

“Not to drink the shower water”

Lol don’t think I’ve ever been that thirsty

I don't think so, but I've had the premium package for a while so I can't remember if it was there before. Should look something like this on the Calendar view:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Edit: Yes, I know my fitness is not good, been a very hectic period at work so I hadn't ridden much leading up to last week.

Ok, thanks for sharing.....highly appreciated!

I'm new to this CTL and ATL thing......

Do I understand correctly, the higher the numbers in Fitness and Fatigue.....the fitter you are and the more rest you need?

Eventually got an entry for 2019 .Will be preparing the same as all the other staged events .Don,t panic .Good health with continuous training ,starting 6 months before . If you fall ill 3 weeks before the event you must still be able to complete a stage not having trained for 2 weeks before ,thus i ride 5 to 6 quality hours a week from now until 12 weeks before .I use a simple 12 week program that peaks at 12h a week after 6 weeks and then taper with 2 hours a week until the week before leaves you with 4 to 6 hours  .I listen to my body and train according to how i feel on that day .Do core training  twice a week .Reliable ,comfortable bike and kit .Keep hands clean and away from your face .Take pictures whenever possible .A medal does not tell a story ,pics do 

If i can give my 2c worth.

Did my first on this year as well, finished well above expectation.

Few tips that worked for us:

1. If you technical ability is not up to scratch, start now. Get familiar with rocky loose climbs and steep descends.

2. Do some races in the area of the '19 epic routes. This was very helpful.

3. Get your nutrition sorted by December. Mine was Peptopro sport and Enduren Oats Bars

4. Do  some 5-6 hour rides on demanding routes. Rocky and jeeptracks, with enough hills. Think Transbreede ultra, Attakwas, Robertson riding (JAVA MTB and other Trails)

5. Assos Shorts and Spez Power saddle solved a lot of problems

6. Rest at least 2 weeks before race, if you are not feeling lazy, you are not resting enough.

Edit - 7 .Take good care of your health, wash your hands and eat healthy

8. Enjoy all the highs and lows. Look around and make some friends.

Also woolies is a gem after 5 hours of dust in my mouth

This list can go on and on but these handfull of tips helped us a lot.

Edited by Fauret

If i can give my 2c worth.

Did my first on this year as well, finished well above expectation.

Few tips that worked for us:

1. If you technical ability is not up to scratch, start now. Get familiar with rocky loose climbs and steep descends.

2. Do some races in the area of the '19 epic routes. This was very helpful.

3. Get your nutrition sorted by December. Mine was Peptopro sport and Enduren Oats Bars

4. Do  some 5-6 hour rides on demanding routes. Rocky and jeeptracks, with enough hills. Think Transbreede ultra, Attakwas, Robertson riding (JAVA MTB and other Trails)

5. Assos Shorts and Spez Power saddle solved a lot of problems

6. Rest at least 2 weeks before race, if you are not feeling lazy, you are not resting enough.

Edit - 7 .Take good care of your health, wash your hands and eat healthy

8. Enjoy all the highs and lows. Look around and make some friends.

Also woolies is a gem after 5 hours of dust in my mouth

This list can go on and on but these handfull of tips helped us a lot.

Thanks for advice!

Will USN be worth it for nutrition as they are the sponsor at water points which will make carrying sachets and energy bars with you a bit less?

For sure. My partner used the USN stuff to train with, with the water points in mind. He spent considerably less time at water points than me.

I just can't bear the taste of the USN stuff and the Pepropro proved itself on all the races in preparation. Not to sweet, also no aftertaste. Same with the Enduran bars. Food at the WP is excellent though, just eat our of the corners of the baskets, where no sweaty gloves touched before you.

Last few tips. Don't take yourself to seriously. You will make it!! Train enough, sleep enough, make your training interesting. Try new trails. Have a few beers. Put in the hours and don't be one of those serious d#%! that shouts at everyone. The 4 months before the race with all my friends training and suffering together is what I miss the most.

Thanks for advice!

Will USN be worth it for nutrition as they are the sponsor at water points which will make carrying sachets and energy bars with you a bit less?

Defintely easier if you use USN. Epic Pro smells like bonemeal to me and I can't stand it but there are other options. 

Reading this thread makes me want to ride again! 

If you have the premium version of Strava, they have what they call Fitness and Freshness, which is the same thing but uses only cycling and running, where TP uses all training be it swimming, gym etc. so the TP one is always slightly higher than Strava.

I find the Strava option cleaner. TP is what the pros use and very detailed.

Another local option is fittrack.co.za. It does a similar thing and even includes an Epic training program.

There are many option with equally as many experts. You need to find what’s works best for you and your time / family contrainsts.

As I said in my previous post 60 is a minimum and 80 is better. Sure if you trying to be in the top half it should be much higher, but I just wanted to finish comfortably.

There a saying “Those that have not done the Epic ask where you finished. Those that have done the Epic ask if you finished”

Good luck - see you on the start line and if you near the back, finish line too....

Edited by MarcL

My numbers from Stravistix...

Clearly my approach of getting fit on the first three days is the reason why I am always a bottom ten contender! 

post-44068-0-02094400-1532066641_thumb.jpg

Ok, thanks for sharing.....highly appreciated!

I'm new to this CTL and ATL thing......

Do I understand correctly, the higher the numbers in Fitness and Fatigue.....the fitter you are and the more rest you need?

Hi

TP has all the info on their website with regards to what the numbers mean.

In a nut shell you want you CTL as high as possible but not increasing by more than 5-7 point per week or you will risk over training / injury.

You want your Form as close to 0 (-5 to +5) on race day. This comes from tapering.

FYI, roughly speaking you lose 1 point per day if you don’t train and need 60 min training to gain 1 point. Less time if you train very hard and more time if it’s easy.

Hope that helps.

Edited by MarcL