Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're rehashing old incidents, and debating who should say sorry -- I'm reminded of one last year with Fumic and Jeremiah Bishop, Stage 7: 

https://youtu.be/iuqOZqN03AM

It would appear that Fumic initiated the contact and then just rode on while Bishop was slow to get up.  Not a single ounce of concern. 

massive douchery by Fumic in my view. yes, the guy in front was not holding a line and Fumic wanted to gap around the outside on the RHS. But there wasn't really a gap as the guy on his outside was holding line and speed. What Fumic did then reminds me of those 4sshole drivers out there in the left lane, that instead of using the brakes when encountering a slower vehicle, swing out wildly to the right expecting the driver in the RHS lane to have already made space of them. F'ing dangerous stupidity.

Sam Gaze at the finish, resplendent in full kit and wearing his helmet tells me everything I already suspected.

He bowed out after realizing he was not up to the demands required from him by Kulhavy...

If so, that's to be expected from the MTB Prima Donna.

Hey looks like we may just see a sprint finish in the ladies race today.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sam Gaze at the finish, resplendent in full kit and wearing his helmet tells me everything I already suspected.

He bowed out after realizing he was not up to the demands required from him by Kulhavy...

If so, that's to be expected from the MTB Prima Donna.

Or as per contract or info requested by Spez they asked him to be please be there due to media and the likes showing support to the team and riders.

When those 2 decided to go there was nothing Summit could do.. far too much power from the AA's

The drop out rate isn’t that high and the skill level doesn’t appear to have improved. The depth in the men’s field has certainly Been driven up a notch especially amongst the SA Pro elites.

The ladies field needs a a serious injection of members and quality. I don’t believe the likes of TREK can’t afford to send Emily and Jolanda, or CST American Eagle Jana.

Perhaps the superb coverage that teams received this year will incentivize other teams to send their riders down South to dangerous Africa and test their mettle in the Cape Epic.

It has to be really hectic now because even Nino used a dropper....

The problem with the ladies field for SA riders is that there are hardly any sponsors that are willing to invest in the ladies racing. I only know of 2 real sponsors ( 3 if you count Summit whom I think might only be for this race ?).

And yet you have SA companies that sponsors international teams. For me that’s a bit sad.

Well done Anna and Annika..completely smashed the field...

for them and Scott the prize money is almost guaranteed appearance fee...

So, Scott and Spaz share the top spot.

Scott beat Spaz by a tyre width as the men's field was deeper.

Cool exposure for the Pyga brand this year.

And the Wilier brand.

Less dominant performance by Factory Racing aka Team Scalpels, but some glory earlier in the week.

Thoughts from the couch

The problem with the ladies field for SA riders is that there are hardly any sponsors that are willing to invest in the ladies racing. I only know of 2 real sponsors ( 3 if you count Summit whom I think might only be for this race ?).

And yet you have SA companies that sponsors international teams. For me that’s a bit sad.

Agree, would be better if SA companies sponsored SA riders.

It seems the return on investment for corporates seems to be a challenge to sell throughout international cycling - Sky pulling out, etc.

Factory racing teams make sense, as they sell equipment. Other sponsorships have the feel of a hobby (Tinkoff) or charity (Lotto NL)

So, Scott and Spaz share the top spot.

Scott beat Spaz by a tyre width as the men's field was deeper.

Cool exposure for the Pyga brand this year.

And the Wilier brand.

Less dominant performance by Factory Racing aka Team Scalpels, but some glory earlier in the week.

Thoughts from the couch

New Scalpel perhaps not such a great bike, then ;)

????

With 2020 being an olympic year I wonder if Nino will skip the Epic next year...

With 2020 being an olympic year I wonder if Nino will skip the Epic next year...

It's perfectly placed on the calendar for training