Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

Hard trying to follow this thread, old incident, old incident, current incident, rehash old incident, rehash old incident, current incident, repeat and rehash old incident. 

While we're rehashing old incidents, and debating who should say sorry -- I'm reminded of one last year with Fumic and Jeremiah Bishop, Stage 7: 

It would appear that Fumic initiated the contact and then just rode on while Bishop was slow to get up.  Not a single ounce of concern. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna had a good day today..all smiles after the stage again. Put the hammer down early

I really really hope she has had a nice time and goes back and tells all the ladies that it is awesome so that we see more elite ladies come and do it and see the elite ladies field grow.... not sure what the prize money is..but it has been very good in the past.

Perhaps when the lot over in europe start seeing more pro road ladies opt for the Epic and not their races they may just do something about their prize money.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Maybe if she ends up smashing them all even more than last year they might just follow..

I am loving the dynamic of the top road rider in the world joined with the top Mtb rider..gives us a good look at the strengths of both. I recon Anna ahead by a small margin given its not her natural discipline??

[quote name="Jaco-fiets" post="3478019" timestamp="1553370581

I have a question regarding the African jersey. Why is there 1? Does the NZ Pioneer have a NZ jersey and the TransAlps a Europe jersey? Its almost embarrassing. It is like a statement saying we can't compete so lets have a jersey that only us can win. We have a few riders that can compete on the world circuit so no need for them to get a mercy jersey

Just my opinion

It does seem quite embarassing when regarding some of these teams are not even close to GC. But I think it is about getting their sponsors some exposure. On the other hand, it motivates the African teams to still work for something even though they are out of the GC race.

What they should really have is a legit buffalo category.... Get the corporates amped to win something.

On that note, I would also love to see more coverage of the guys just making cut off. I do love to see a good death grimace

hmmmm, wha time is everything starting today ?

don't see a live broadcast on the Cape Epic page.

G

What they should really have is a legit buffalo category.... Get the corporates amped to win something.

On that note, I would also love to see more coverage of the guys just making cut off. I do love to see a good death grimace

I am not a huge fan of the Buffalo category as 90kg is not Buffalo in my opinion. A true Buffalo should be heavy enough to play in the forward pack at Super 15 level. At 90kg you are barely a decent sized center. At around 6’3”, 90kg’s you are not that much different to the rest of the field.

Follow the hyenas on Instagram. Feel for the guys that have mechanicals, but when you see some of the people at the back you really question if the Epic is that untamed...

I am not a huge fan of the Buffalo category as 90kg is not Buffalo in my opinion. A true Buffalo should be heavy enough to play in the forward pack at Super 15 level. At 90kg you are barely a decent sized center. At around 6’3”, 90kg’s you are not that much different to the rest of the field.

Why do you use Rugby as a reference point, this cycling? There is a huge difference between a 60-75kg rider and someone who weighs 90kg + (ask me I know). I don't see too many buffaloes in the top 100 at the Epic and if they do make it to that level believe me they are exceptional riders.

Edited by River Rat

............ you really question if the Epic is that untamed...

:D Luxury accommodation, moved closer to civilization, easy access to the coffee shops........methinks it was domesticated a long time ago :ph34r:

Follow the hyenas on Instagram. Feel for the guys that have mechanicals, but when you see some of the people at the back you really question if the Epic is that untamed...

Yeah.. Last year I was lucky enough to do 2 big multisport expedition races. In May we raced for 125 hours, slept for about 12 hours and under a roof twice. In November 176 hours, slept about 20 hours and under a roof once.

I am under no illusion as to how much of a holiday things like this are.

My idea was jumping on the back of the Africa jerseys. If they have those categories to keep the local Saffas interested, they should have a category that keeps the paying bread and butter interested too.

It would also make the fantasy competition super fun!

Why do you use Rugby as a reference point, this cycling? There is a huge difference between a 60-75kg rider and someone who weighs 90kg + (ask me I know). I don't see too many buffaloes in the top 100 at the Epic and if they do make it to that level believe me they are exceptional riders.

I am not arguing that they are not exceptional riders just that it is a bit of a pointless category unless they make a proper distinction with the rest of the field. At 90 kg you are barely 10kg more than Sam Gaze. If you are 5cm taller than him you can have almost exactly the same build as someone who won the world XCO race last year. Not exactly what comes to mind when I think of the word “Buffalo”

Yeah.. Last year I was lucky enough to do 2 big multisport expedition races. In May we raced for 125 hours, slept for about 12 hours and under a roof twice. In November 176 hours, slept about 20 hours and under a roof once.

I am under no illusion as to how much of a holiday things like this are.

My idea was jumping on the back of the Africa jerseys. If they have those categories to keep the local Saffas interested, they should have a category that keeps the paying bread and butter interested too.

It would also make the fantasy competition super fun!

Yeah, think even an Everest is out of reach of most of the field at the Epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk