Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

Sam Gaze at the finish, resplendent in full kit and wearing his helmet tells me everything I already suspected.

He bowed out after realizing he was not up to the demands required from him by Kulhavy...

If so, that's to be expected from the MTB Prima Donna.

There are always different ways to look at any situation. Why do South Africans so often choose to presume the most negative intention or version of these type of things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree, would be better if SA companies sponsored SA riders.

It seems the return on investment for corporates seems to be a challenge to sell throughout international cycling - Sky pulling out, etc.

Factory racing teams make sense, as they sell equipment. Other sponsorships have the feel of a hobby (Tinkoff) or charity (Lotto NL)

Sky was bought by Disney and Mr Disney didn't have a son who was into cycling and wanted a team as a project. 

It's perfectly placed on the calendar for training

No it's not. If you want to perform at Olympics you don't do epic in same year. Its just how it is. Contracts are 9/10 times negotiated like that.

Nino is a 1% difference but I don't see him doing Epic next year and once he wins Olympics (perfect world) I see him calling it a day for 2021.

Edited by J Wakefield

It's perfectly placed on the calendar for training

I speak under correction but I am not sure Nino has ever done the Epic in an Olympic year.

And if Annika wants to have a go at the Olympics she will also not do it...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by Gen

No it's not. If you want to perform at Olympics you don't do epic in same year. Its just how it is. Contracts are 9/10 times negotiated like that.

Nino is a 1% difference but I down see him doing Epic next year and once he wins Olympics (perfect world) I see him calling it a day for 2021.

March to summer in Japan

Thought it could be cool base building

The only risk would be, I guess @JWakefield, is injury

Which could derail build-up

Then again, the Olympics is be biggest sporting show on earth.

Minimise risk at all cost.

More thoughts from the couch

Nino is a 1% difference but I down see him doing Epic next year and once he wins Olympics (perfect world) I see him calling it a day for 2021.

With further thought from the Sunday couch, agreed.

The summer Olympics is the biggest show on earth, in sporting terms.

All eyes (and priority levels) on it. ????

Edited by 'Dale

Yes, it is not so much all the cycling in Epic that will be the deterrent before the Olympics. It is the risk of injury.

Now for the weary weekend warriors who want to claim that finisher medal ????

Hou bene hou ????

Edited by 'Dale

Nino is a 1% difference but I don't see him doing Epic next year and once he wins Olympics (perfect world) I see him calling it a day for 2021.

Would it be risk of injury or the type of riding..xco vs marathon that would be the deciding factor..as the 2 disciplines are quite different ?

Would it be risk of injury or the type of riding..xco vs marathon that would be the deciding factor..as the 2 disciplines are quite different ?

Training load, periodisation, recovery and proximity of events to name a few and possible injury but that isn’t a main reason. Your training isn’t that much different it’s that 5-10% of specificity that is different which comes closer to event Edited by J Wakefield

Training load, periodisation, recovery and proximity of events to name a few and possible injury but that isn’t a main reason. Your training isn’t that much different it’s that 5-10% of specificity that is different which comes closer to event

Thx

With 2020 being an olympic year I wonder if Nino will skip the Epic next year...

Scott SRAM's contract to ride the Epic is finished after the 2019 event. Might not see them next year

I speak under correction but I am not sure Nino has ever done the Epic in an Olympic year.

And if Annika wants to have a go at the Olympics she will also not do it...

Nino, Sam, Gaze, Henrique Avancini, Maya Wrrgwntv3utv4, Annika Langvad, Anna van der Breggen, Adelheid Morath even Alan Hatherly and Matt Beers .

2020 probably the best chance for Karl to get 6 or a SA pairing to perform really well on GC.

Nino, Sam, Gaze, Henrique Avancini, Maya Wrrgwntv3utv4, Annika Langvad, Anna van der Breggen, Adelheid Morath even Alan Hatherly and Matt Beers .

2020 probably the best chance for Karl to get 6 or a SA pairing to perform really well on GC.

Might actually make for some interesting partnership and races, wonder if it will have any impact on the entry fee/price money 

Might actually make for some interesting partnership and races, wonder if it will have any impact on the entry fee/price money 

I see what you did there :)

as sure as death and taxes the price money will go up. Prize money is another story.