Import duty on thule bike rack

marius1341

Gents, i understand many articles have been posted on import duties...but have anyone actually bought a thule bike rack from Europe ? What are the duties .. And secondly is the plug compatible with our cars ? Thx in advance

Why would you want to import one , when you can get one at so many outlets here , and their warranty/ backup service is excellent ??

Why would you want to import one , when you can get one at so many outlets here , and their warranty/ backup service is excellent ??

Because the many outlets here

1 - Do not stock the item I want

2 - Do not return calls

3 - Almost double the price

4 - After Sales service is especially expensive, so not really an advantage

I can buy almost a new rooftop mount for the price of the part that broke locally

So that is why the OP is asking

Thule easy fold cost nearly R18000 here, but cN be bought in Germany for R8000...i am not sure of shipping or import ... can it truly exceed R10000 ... cant imagine that...

Thule easy fold cost nearly R18000 here, but cN be bought in Germany for R8000...i am not sure of shipping or import ... can it truly exceed R10000 ... cant imagine that...

Looking at the same. Shipping however is expensive due to bulk and weight. But on your item I guess it will be better in comparison.

Gents, i understand many articles have been posted on import duties...but have anyone actually bought a thule bike rack from Europe ? What are the duties .. And secondly is the plug compatible with our cars ? Thx in advance

Not sure which rack you're looking at, but CMH Volvo sell the Thule racks (unbranded) and apparently they get it direct from Sweden.  They had to put another adaptor thingy on the plug and it works fine then.  Here's their ad on le hub: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/175809-2-and-3-bike-racks-made-by-sweden/

Weight alone of the rack will set you back a pretty penny for importing.

Not sure which rack you're looking at, but CMH Volvo sell the Thule racks (unbranded) and apparently they get it direct from Sweden.  They had to put another adaptor thingy on the plug and it works fine then.  Here's their ad on le hub: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/175809-2-and-3-bike-racks-made-by-sweden/

Weight alone of the rack will set you back a pretty penny for importing.

most Volvo dealerships stock them

If you want, pm me what you're looking for and I'll get a quote for you

I bought a Thule Euro classic G6 3 Bike Rack from Bike-discount.de in March 2017

Shipping was 29 Euros

Total cost was 421 Euros at that time cant remember the R value

Pity they don't ship thule to SA anymore

Try Bike24 they charge 39 Euros postage if I remember correctly

Duties might be 15% when classified as a mount of any kind. 

• 1 month later...

You looking at 40-50% that you’ll pay for customs costs and clearance. I always pay that range on imported components..

Archived