20" Kids Bike Advice

daniemare

Hi

I need to get my kid a new bike, and after doing all the homework on what he needs, types of terrain, etc, I’ve narrowed the selection down to the following:

Titan Hades 20” disc - https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/titan-kids-bikes/products/titan-hades-20-disc-2020

Silverback Skid 20” disc - https://bike-addict.co.za/products/silverback-skid-20-boys-2020

Anyone has any of these? Would appreciate some feedback on these options.

Thanks

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know where to get 20 inch tubeless tires in SA? 

I see Vee Rubber make some awesome 20" but I can't find a retailer...... 

Does anyone know where to get 20 inch tubeless tires in SA? 

I see Vee Rubber make some awesome 20" but I can't find a retailer...... 

We were not able to find 20'' nor 24'' tubeless tires.

NONE of the local shops would sell us tires to use as tubeless ... 

once they get to 26'' you do get some options for tubeless

Hi

I need to get my kid a new bike, and after doing all the homework on what he needs, types of terrain, etc, I’ve narrowed the selection down to the following:

Titan Hades 20” disc - https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/titan-kids-bikes/products/titan-hades-20-disc-2020

Silverback Skid 20” disc - https://bike-addict.co.za/products/silverback-skid-20-boys-2020

Thanks

You won’t go wrong with the Hades. My son has the 20 inch. All I changed was the grip shift to a trigger shift.

The Titans are great bikes. For this Xmas he will get the 24 inch one with 26 inch wheels.

Before the 20 inch he had 16 inch Hades, which my 4 year old has just now learnt to ride. These things are built to last. I have totally changed my opinion of Titan bicycles based on these two kids bikes. If they can survive my boys, they can survive anything.

Edited by Knersboy

Hi

Thanks

Few random thoughts, from our experiences with 20'' bikes ....

- a normal V-brake is sufficient for the speeds they do.  Though the price difference to a disc now seems minimal.  The kids DO fall !!  The bikes take a hammering .... I am just wondering how a brake disc stands up to this type of use.

- Front fork - only way to know for sure, you need to feel the bike and work that front shock a bit ... mostly they are way too hard....  BUT, when you do get a very soft one - BUY IT.  MAritz rode trails on a rigid, and then with a 20'' with a soft front fork ... I have some nice pics of how this DO work.  But only if you get a very soft one.

- grip-shift gears suck !!  It is cheap to get a set of trigger shifters .... they can easily pull the lever to gear down.  BUT, their small hands really struggle with the up-shifting ... the long stroke for an up-shift means they are rotating their hands all the way down to get enough thumb movement .... still better than a grip-shift.

- we could not get tubeless tires .... put some SLUDGE (the one with the rhino emblem on the bottle) into the tube.  It WORKS   :thumbup:

- saddle height .... initially they need to be able to put their feet down, while on the saddle - simply to get their confidence on the bike.  Gradually lift that saddle until they get to the proper seat height, to properly extend their legs while cycling.

- brakes - we set the rear brake proper, and the front to minimal .... dont want to get an over the bar ....

- brake lever setting - there is a little screw which allows you reduce the reach from the bar to the brake lever ... their little hands NEED this distance to be less .... maybe in my next life I will understand why bike-shops dont set these things up properly ...

- orientation of brakes - Maritz's first bike had the classic Brit\Bike setup, i.e. right=front ... damned if we can get him to switch around ... the muscle memory is now engrained to grab the left hand for an emergency stop ..... so decide up front what you want to teach your kid.

ENJOY !  :thumbup:

Edited by ChrisF

You won’t go wrong with the Hades. My son has the 20 inch. All I changed was the grip shift to a trigger shift.

The Titans are great bikes. For this Xmas he will get the 24 inch one with 26 inch wheels.

Before the 20 inch he had 16 inch Hades, which my 4 year old has just now learnt to ride. These things are built to last. I have totally changed my opinion of Titan bicycles based on these two kids bikes. If they can survive my boys, they can survive anything.

AGREED !

Maritz is onto his second TITAN Haydes.

Seriously impressed with the brand !!!

+1 for the Titan Hades. Good solid bike. The front suspension is a little overkill but my girls manage to cope just fine with them. Save the money for when they grow up...

My kid is on 24" hades disc. I can definitely recommend the bike, however, I would actually recommend the v brake version above the disc version. Kids don't need the extra stopping power and bottom end cable discs are not great. Endless minor adjustments!

We were not able to find 20'' nor 24'' tubeless tires.

NONE of the local shops would sell us tires to use as tubeless ... 

once they get to 26'' you do get some options for tubeless

Hectic... That is disappointing. 

I know Maxxis do the Holy Roller 20" tubeless and Vee tires do a few different versions.

I will import some straight from Vee if we are ever allowed to.

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it. From the responses given I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on the Hades. ????

Few random thoughts, from our experiences with 20'' bikes ....

- a normal V-brake is sufficient for the speeds they do. Though the price difference to a disc now seems minimal. The kids DO fall !! The bikes take a hammering .... I am just wondering how a brake disc stands up to this type of use.

- Front fork - only way to know for sure, you need to feel the bike and work that front shock a bit ... mostly they are way too hard.... BUT, when you do get a very soft one - BUY IT. MAritz rode trails on a rigid, and then with a 20'' with a soft front fork ... I have some nice pics of how this DO work. But only if you get a very soft one.

- grip-shift gears suck !! It is cheap to get a set of trigger shifters .... they can easily pull the lever to gear down. BUT, their small hands really struggle with the up-shifting ... the long stroke for an up-shift means they are rotating their hands all the way down to get enough thumb movement .... still better than a grip-shift.

- we could not get tubeless tires .... put some SLUDGE (the one with the rhino emblem on the bottle) into the tube. It WORKS :thumbup:

- saddle height .... initially they need to be able to put their feet down, while on the saddle - simply to get their confidence on the bike. Gradually lift that saddle until they get to the proper seat height, to properly extend their legs while cycling.

- brakes - we set the rear brake proper, and the front to minimal .... dont want to get an over the bar ....

- brake lever setting - there is a little screw which allows you reduce the reach from the bar to the brake lever ... their little hands NEED this distance to be less .... maybe in my next life I will understand why bike-shops dont set these things up properly ...

- orientation of brakes - Maritz's first bike had the classic Brit\Bike setup, i.e. right=front ... damned if we can get him to switch around ... the muscle memory is now engrained to grab the left hand for an emergency stop ..... so decide up front what you want to teach your kid.

ENJOY ! :thumbup:

Thanks for the very comprehensive feedback ChrisF. Greatly appreciated. I did explore the V brake option but the price difference as you mentioned is minimal.

While I was also warned to stay away from discs for a kids bike, I don’t think it will be much harm getting him used to the stopping power from now, and teaching him some minor service skills from a young age.

I’m sure he will enjoy.

????

+1 for the Titan Hades. Good solid bike. The front suspension is a little overkill but my girls manage to cope just fine with them. Save the money for when they grow up...

Thanks for the feedback. From the responses I’m gonna go with the Hades. I’m sure he will love it.

One other thing, replace the rubber grips with cheap silicon grips (I used the Ryder ones) straight away. Those rubber grips don’t last, get siff quick and you end up replacing them over and over. The silicon ones I have never needed to replace.

One other thing, replace the rubber grips with cheap silicon grips (I used the Ryder ones) straight away. Those rubber grips don’t last, get siff quick and you end up replacing them over and over. The silicon ones I have never needed to replace.

Will remember that. Thanks.

O boy, the big kids bike debate. I have 3 little ones 5, 10 and 12 so been down this path.

Firstly it's a kids bike for the little one to learn, play and destroy. Destroy as in they are not born with the ability to shift under load and want to ride with Johnny down the road in the mud and sticks.

Please remember this is a kids bike not a mini version of your own. Unless you live in devil country tubeless is overkill and disc is not needed on a 25kg child.

I personally detest gripshift (more than taxis) but have found my kids love gripshift because they don't have adult thumbs to push a trigger.

That been said the goal is to love cycling and develop skills. My 5 year old is on a gt micro at 5kgs. He loves the bike and does a sold 7km each day. My older 2 are now on 24inch bikes and have a bmx each. I prefer the bmx approach as the child learn skills and the bikes are indestructible and of course weigh very little.

My 12 year old on her 24inch goes down rocky hills like a pro, I wet myself in fear!

Teach your child to love cycling and to jump potholes, pavements and skills skills and more skills. A mini me bike with trigger shifting disk brakes can come latter.

My 5c, just remember kids don't all want to ride 2 hours and race on sunday (2 years in I learnt that). I race road and mountain bike at a high level. My kids love the sport but will do the distance when they want to.

An adult bike is 9kgs. Why put your kids on that weight machine? They can't bench that weight.

Ps- I left SA a few years ago. My kids ride the Australian streets and local trails on their own so I know there bike preferences well and my number 1 tool is a derailleur hanger alignment tool !!!

Actually my daughter prefers to hit the back yard on her Honda crf125fb. I have a few dented trees.

Let them be kids.

Edited by BMXER