20" Kids Bike Advice

daniemare

We went to Olympic cycles here In CT and my little one tried out the Momsen and titan

Preferred the girl colors in the Titan over Momsen.

We liked the senza but think the titan will last longer

Thinking of just going for the disc brake model for extra 300 which makes it approx 1000 over the siverback

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the speed and weight of kid on a 20'' .... V-brakes does the job perfectly well.

That said .... if it was a "wild boy" and you expected the wheels to buckle in a few months then V-brakes become a pain ....

Facts aside - I probably would have gone for disc-brakes ... I certainly tried to get Maritz to buy the 24'' with disc-brakes.

The current 24'' is certainly Maritz's last V-brake bike.  No issues with rims (well none that I could not true myself), but he is getting faster and faster on the single tracks .... certainly the next bike must have much better stopping power !!  

• 9 months later...

I'm in the market for a 20'' bike for my daughter. I have taken note of all of the above, but am still just interested in a bike that she will enjoy and gain confidence. Nothing extreme and none of those expensive brands.

Any recommendation where I should start looking? I am based in Centurion.

We went to Olympic cycles here In CT and my little one tried out the Momsen and titan

Preferred the girl colors in the Titan over Momsen.

We liked the senza but think the titan will last longer

Thinking of just going for the disc brake model for extra 300 which makes it approx 1000 over the siverback

Discs over v brakes, for sure. Especially at that price level, where the v's you get aren't anywhere close to teh old XT or other excellent v brakes

Discs over v brakes, for sure. Especially at that price level, where the v's you get aren't anywhere close to teh old XT or other excellent v brakes

From my experience with my kids you really don't need disc brakes on the small bikes (although I guess there are worse things to spend R300 extra on). Kids are much lighter than us fatties and they generally don't go as fast so they only need a fraction of the "braking power" we do, v-brakes do the job just fine. Even on the 24" the v-brakes are working fine for my son. Like ChrisF I will probably only upgrade to disc brakes on the next bike.

I actually have been looking a lot around for my daughter (in 24' not 20' but still).

The best I have found is the Signal. Check them out

but where to look at them ?

Went to Best Bikes ... asked about a bike on Signal's website, https://signalbikes.co.za/products/stormer-26.... lady at Best Bikes tells me it does not exist .... asking Signal for another shop where I can go look at this bike was not successful (they did answer the email, but did not direct me to another shop..)

They are actually available to rent @ biosport @ bloemendal. I am actually trying to buy one and went to best bike and they're trying to find me one

They are actually available to rent @ biosport @ bloemendal. I am actually trying to buy one and went to best bike and they're trying to find me one

Sadly they dont have a 26'' in the rental fleet .... that was my first stop, when we considered the Signal.

Sadly they dont have a 26'' in the rental fleet .... that was my first stop, when we considered the Signal.

Didn't know. I did check the 24 only.

Both 20'' .....obviously ....  :whistling:

Gearing :

Titan 1x6  :thumbup:

Signal ... conflicting information on their webpage .... seems the 1x7 is the correct figure, though the spec sheet claims 1x10

Gear shifting :

both grip shifts ...  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

The grip shifts gets sticky and the kids struggle with it .... that said, their hands are too small to operate trigger shifts ... they can shift down, but the long stroke of the up shift is difficult for them.

(again the Signal website is conflicting, stating trigger shifts, but the photos shows grip shifts)

Both V-brakes ...  :thumbup:

Both SR Suntour front suspension.  Only usefull if they are going to really do trails.  For everything else the dead weight weighs them down ....  :whistling:   That said, we got use out of the same fork when Maritz rode his 20'' .... dont think there is one answer that works for everybody on this ....

Standover height .... photos may be misleading .... but it appears the standover height of the Titan is marginally lower .... best your kid stands over both

Seriously impressed with the Titan brand, having seen how much abuse they take at the SPUR MTB events and on the trails.

all facts aside .... most likely your kid will outgrow the bike in less than 18 months ..... get the one they "like" the most .....

Edited by ChrisF

Very useful analysis, thank you very much. You mentioned some factors I did not even consider.

Both 20'' .....obviously ....  :whistling:

Gearing :

Titan 1x6  :thumbup:

Signal ... conflicting information on their webpage .... seems the 1x7 is the correct figure, though the spec sheet claims 1x10

Gear shifting :

both grip shifts ...  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

The grip shifts gets sticky and the kids struggle with it .... that said, their hands are too small to operate trigger shifts ... they can shift down, but the long stroke of the up shift is difficult for them.

(again the Signal website is conflicting, stating trigger shifts, but the photos shows grip shifts)

Both V-brakes ...  :thumbup:

Both SR Suntour front suspension.  Only usefull if they are going to really do trails.  For everything else the dead weight weighs them down ....  :whistling:   That said, we got use out of the same fork when Maritz rode his 20'' .... dont think there is one answer that works for everybody on this ....

Standover height .... photos may be misleading .... but it appears the standover height of the Titan is marginally lower .... best your kid stands over both

Seriously impressed with the Titan brand, having seen how much abuse they take at the SPUR MTB events and on the trails.

all facts aside .... most likely your kid will outgrow the bike in less than 18 months ..... get the one they "like" the most .....

• 3 weeks later...

My Son is 7yrs old and his 16" bike which he got for Xmas last year became way to small towards the end of this year.   

I just ordered him a 24" for  Xmas and decided to skip the 20" size.    He's best friend from grade 1's  dad (also my cycling buddy) did the same and bought a 24" to upgrade the 16"  

He is probably going to struggle a bit in the beginning (first month) but they grow so fast that I believe the 24" will be a perfect fit very soon.

TITAN Hades 24" Junior

Titan-Racing-M19-Hades-24V-Hero.jpg

My Son is 7yrs old and his 16" bike which he got for Xmas last year became way to small towards the end of this year.   

I just ordered him a 24" for  Xmas and decided to skip the 20" size.    He's best friend from grade 1's  dad (also my cycling buddy) did the same and bought a 24" to upgrade the 16"  

He is probably going to struggle a bit in the beginning (first month) but they grow so fast that I believe the 24" will be a perfect fit very soon.

TITAN Hades 24" Junior

Titan-Racing-M19-Hades-24V-Hero.jpg

skipping a size they have two issues to contend with :

1) saddle height ... easy enough, sort off, it works or it does not ....

2) reach to the steering .... this is often more of an issue.  They lean so far forward that they cant turn the bike properly.  IF this is an issue, a shorter stem may help for a few months ....  :thumbup:

Initially I tweaked the limit switches on the rear derailure .... taking away the last couple of small gears, just in case he got a rush of blood to the brain and picked up too much speed on a downhill .....  :whistling:

keep an eye on this grip shifts .... they feel fine in the start, and turn "tight" quickly.  Kids really struggle with it.  The trigger shifters really is a huge improvement for them.  Rear - they get used to the trigger quick enough, though the have to move their whole hand for the long strong to go up to larger gears.  the front gear shifts are a pain, their small hands just dont have enough reach to push those lever far enough for the up shifts.

Then one day they shift up just before the hill.   :clap:   And when they get stressed they mes sit up again ....  LOTS of patience, he WILL get it right over time  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

PS - seriously love these TITAN bikes !!  want to get him the 24-9er from Titan in a few months ....