20" Kids Bike Advice

daniemare

Titan disc has cable actuated disc brakes, which are a MAJOR upgrade, and lead the way to introduce proper hyd disc brakes as an upgrade. Disc brakes have a far lighter pull action than v's. 

thanks

so for the extra money disc brakes are better?

any help with the 3 bikes though that i selected 

i do like the momsen but budget permits

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popped into Olympic bikes earlier.

Good selection but little pricier than other shops.

Say on Momsen 20 which was nice but going for R6k...my little one also sat on the titan Calypso which was whole R2k less and was bit heavier but not much to choose between.

We did also look at the silverback senza and spyke both similar price to titan.

All said and done there was only big difference when comparing to the Momsen carbon at 11k but in my price bracket the titan seemed ok ?

The color combo of the siverback and Momsen wasn't to a girl's taste whereas the titan ticked the pink box.

Do you think the titan is worth it for +/- 4000 as opposed to Momsen at 2000 more??

Popped into Olympic bikes earlier.

Good selection but little pricier than other shops.

Say on Momsen 20 which was nice but going for R6k...my little one also sat on the titan Calypso which was whole R2k less and was bit heavier but not much to choose between.

We did also look at the silverback senza and spyke both similar price to titan.

All said and done there was only big difference when comparing to the Momsen carbon at 11k but in my price bracket the titan seemed ok ?

The color combo of the siverback and Momsen wasn't to a girl's taste whereas the titan ticked the pink box.

Do you think the titan is worth it for +/- 4000 as opposed to Momsen at 2000 more??

I totally do. I have one sitting in the bike shop waiting to be picked up on Xmas eve for my laaitie. His current 16 inch calypso has gone through major abuse over the last two years and is still looking great.

The components are great, Sella Italia saddle, Barzo tires and then the same Shimano Tourney as they all have. I chose v brake over disk. Laaitie has them on the 16 inch and they work great, 20 something kg kids don’t need disk stopping power.

Only mod I will make, which I have done on all mi kids bikes, is to replace the grips with cheap silicon ones Those rubber grips always *** from the handlebar hitting the ground when the kids toss the bike, as they tend to do...

Sorry to hijack, 

Does anyone perhaps know where i can find a cosmetically apt girly 16"? 

The ones with tassels, bell and a basket etc?. Id rather it look the part for now as she will be more inclined to ride it if its pretty. Once she gets over that phase ill do some proper research and get her on a decently spec'd mtb. 

She rips on the Muna balance bike, so to make things easy im Looking at single speed with brakes. 

Sorry to hijack, 

The ones with tassels, bell and a basket etc?. Id rather it look the part for now as she will be more inclined to ride it if its pretty. Once she gets over that phase ill do some proper research and get her on a decently spec'd mtb. 

She rips on the Muna balance bike, so to make things easy im Looking at single speed with brakes. 

You can try sportmans warehouse.

Have a look at their website.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/avalanche-junior-girls-zoid-16-bike/6221

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/avalanche-junior-girls-zoid-16-bike-2018/6221

Sorry to hijack, 

Linden Cycles

Are the front forks really worth it on kids 20" bikes? Can anyone with experience comment?

Just wondering if they just look cool, but add weight? Considering a fixed fork for my son, when he gets a 20"...

Nice balance bike... It is actually a Kokua Jumper though - just resprayed it seems. Can buy them locally... my son had one.

and so it is.

i feel violated!

Had the 20'' Momsen - HAPPY with it.

Now have the 24'' TITAN - VERY HAPPY with it !!  :clap:   :thumbup:

Momsen is very nice, but hardly worth the premium for a bike the kid outgrows in year or two ....

Are the front forks really worth it on kids 20" bikes? Can anyone with experience comment?

Just wondering if they just look cool, but add weight? Considering a fixed fork for my son, when he gets a 20"...

Kids think its cool to have them... so consult with kid first before buying.

My son has just grown out of his 20" bike, and it was a must have item for him

YES, it actually does help.

Maritz's first 20'' was a TOTEM (Makro), rigid bike.  He got into cycling, and we started doing trails ...  I could see the bike hopping about on the cobbly sections ....

We then took the plunge and bought the Momsen with a front shock ... of the various bikes I "felt" in the stores, the Momsen had the most movement in the shock.

I took photos of Maritz in the driveway .... coming up the curb stone the front wheel of the TOTEM would lift clean off the ground !!  The Momsen shock would absorb that same impact and the front wheel remains on the ground.

VERY HAPPY with the front shock !!!

YES, it is crude and harsh and not remotely comparible with a decent shock, but it HELPS.

Think it depends on the rider (what kind of riding they are doing) and also some kids forks are a lot better than others...

My boy gets full travel from his fork and is relatively advanced for his age (in riding not so much in other things!  :D  ).

He's also on a pretty fancy kids bike (Commencal Meta HT 20) so a fairly decent fork.

But yes - even if they don't work - kids like them and if that makes them ride more then it's worth it

Had the 20'' Momsen - HAPPY with it.

Now have the 24'' TITAN - VERY HAPPY with it !!  :clap:   :thumbup:

Momsen is very nice, but hardly worth the premium for a bike the kid outgrows in year or two ....

my thoughts exactly ..wanted a momsem..tried it for size..was nice but think settling for the Titan..little cheaper and the colorway geared towards little girl more so then the momsem

also considered the silverback senza as that saved an additional 1000 rand

• 3 weeks later...

literally about to go and purchase and just need last bit of advise

we have narrowed down to 2 models

• Titan Calypso 20 V brake for R3600 ( disc version R3900)
  • silverback senza +/- R3000

is it worth saving the 600/900 to get the silverback?

literally about to go and purchase and just need last bit of advise

we have narrowed down to 2 models

• Titan Calypso 20 V brake for R3600 ( disc version R3900)
  • silverback senza +/- R3000

is it worth saving the 600/900 to get the silverback?

"feel" both ... does the shocks on the one feel better than the other ?  That is how I chose the 20'' model.

Next step .... kids have strange preferances in terms of looks and colour scheme .... I took Maritz to choose his 24'', after I had done my homework.  He could choose between 3 Titan models .... ended up going for the one with the nicest seem welds at the neck - Oooo, and it has a lot of GREEN in the colour sheme .... (I wanted to spend the extra money for the disc brake model... he liked this model better)