Bicycle Mechanic Work

XiperStarchild

I am 26 years of age and I classify myself as NEET (Not in employment, education or training). I have finished matric in 2011, graduating with a basic NSC (national senior certificate) work. I do not have dreams and aspirations, other than touring central Europe with a road bike. As such, I am happy with very little in life. I have few passions and this includes cycling, so I was hoping I could get a few answers regarding a career as a bicycle mechanic. I am considering this as I really do not know what other options I have, and I do not know how to determine what career would best suit me.

I know the pay isn't great, but unless you need a good salary to simply survive in South Africa, will the pay grade of a bicycle mechanic be enough for me to get by and live healthily? 

Are there enough openings/vacancies at any given moment for new people with only training and no actual experienced to enter the industry of bicycles? 

How would I go about acquiring the right skills, training and experience to land a job? Does it take a lot of talent?

What other options are available to me (excluding retailer) to work in the bicycle industry?

Is the bicycle market big enough in SA for someone to land a job working for a company or would I have to start my own thing?

I am not an intelligent or talented person, which is the second reason I am not considering any career that requires a degree, so I would love to hear from people who know a lot about this business. 

I am not an intelligent or talented person, 

Personally if this is the case I wouldnt want you touching my bike if I did send my bike to bike shops for services.

I didnt want to be the one to say it but I guess someone will need to...

Well, you write well enough and you kinda know what you want out of life.

Plus you seem to be down to earth and modest.

I can't think of a reason for you to undersell your potential in landing a good job somewhere

Try approaching your Local Bike Shop.  The LBS may be willing to give you part time employment until you prove your willingness to learn.  If it is a good and fair employer you may be sent on training, and even if the owner is connected in the cycling world loaned out to local teams.

You might even get a chance to be apprenticed to Chris Froome's mechanic.

Dream Big, but remember success comes with small steps not leaps and bounds...

The Torq Zone Academy is a great place to start.  If you can get some training then your chances of employment will be better.

Ditto comments above. You communicate clearly and that is a talent not to be underestimated. I have no idea how bike shops work but when I was employing people I made some very good hires by employing passion over qualifications/experience.

I am 26 years of age and I classify myself as NEET (Not in employment, education or training). I have finished matric in 2011, graduating with a basic NSC (national senior certificate) work. I do not have dreams and aspirations, other than touring central Europe with a road bike. As such, I am happy with very little in life. I have few passions and this includes cycling, so I was hoping I could get a few answers regarding a career as a bicycle mechanic. I am considering this as I really do not know what other options I have, and I do not know how to determine what career would best suit me.

I know the pay isn't great, but unless you need a good salary to simply survive in South Africa, will the pay grade of a bicycle mechanic be enough for me to get by and live healthily? 

Are there enough openings/vacancies at any given moment for new people with only training and no actual experienced to enter the industry of bicycles? 

How would I go about acquiring the right skills, training and experience to land a job? Does it take a lot of talent?

What other options are available to me (excluding retailer) to work in the bicycle industry?

Is the bicycle market big enough in SA for someone to land a job working for a company or would I have to start my own thing?

I am not an intelligent or talented person, which is the second reason I am not considering any career that requires a degree, so I would love to hear from people who know a lot about this business. 

My help may not go far, but for starters it would be useful to put your province or city location under your name- that way I could recommend any shops I may know in the region that could be approached for advice/discussions/work.

What are you referring to in the orange text quoted above? I've met engineers that cannot spell to save their own life and I've met people that didn't do well in school but clever in other ways.

Just asking because surely there is something you can push and play to your advantage, even if it isn't considered a talent, lake paying fine attention to details or simply being thorough with your work.

You could always also try other avenues such as marshalling or helping out in other ways as an event volunteer perhaps.

Approach your local bikeshop and ask if they need an extra hand on busy days .... get into the business slowly.

Bikes are way too expensive to let an untrained person work on it ...

But once you have a foot in the door, ask if you could assist with a wash and lube of a bike.  Find that bike where the gears dont shift properly when you do the lube .. ask the mechanic to show you how to adjust "that type" of gear set ..... let it develop from there.

IF you have the drive to survive in a bikeshop it will develop naturally !!

Any and all business owners share ONE common problem - finding young talent that has more of an interest in the WORK than their social media ball-and-chain devices ....

YES, I know "bike mechanics" that live a normal life, with sufficient pay to make a living.

The reality it that we live in snobbish society that pay exorbitant salaries based on "qualifications", and struggle to pay decent wages for "skilled staff".  

"intelligent" and "talented" are two totally different concepts !

intelligent - I have a couple of qualifications, and couple of professional registrations.  Yet I know some really "intelligent" people, to the point where I know my limitations.  Your opening post is certainly not that of a "dumb" person.  You clearly have the ability to think rationally, and to correspond in a clear manner .... I know some people with doctorate degrees that could do with these basic life skills !  Dont sell yourself short !  Not having, or not wanting, a tertiary education does not make anybody "not intelligent".  Frankly way too many people are trying to be "intelligent" and miss their goal in life.

"talented" - hey, relax  :thumbup:   MOST of us only aquired our "talents" along the way.  Yes, for each person some skills come easier than others.  But dont beat yourself up !  TRY stuff, some will fit naturally, some wont.  Go with it, find your unique strong points and build your own talents.

Wishing you well on your journey !  :thumbup:

Personally if this is the case I wouldnt want you touching my bike if I did send my bike to bike shops for services.

I didnt want to be the one to say it but I guess someone will need to...

I do not think he intended to say what you understood him to say - miscommunication here.

The fact that you think things through is a sign of intelligence so it is a pity you cutting yourself short here. Everyone gave sound advice. Follow your passion and learn to master your craft.I'm sure the TDF mechanics got there by mastering their craft and not degrees. It will require grit, perseverance and passion.

If you're serious about a career as a bicycle technician the best way to start is with formalised training. We at Torq Zone Academy offer both the NQF Level 4 national qualification, and the internationally recognised Cytech technical scheme.

For more info you're more than welcome to contact me at academyinfo@torqzone.co.za or check our website www.torqzoneacademy.co.za for more info.

You may be selling yourself a little short. 

There are a *lot* of people providing bicycle service and repair services but very few actually doing it to a very high standard. Leaving aside the training, you will also need a decent set of the correct tools.

There are a lot of busy executives and professionals in the Johannesburg area who need first-class service for their bicycles but do not have time to run backwards and forwards. If you were to offer a service of collection, delivery (or maybe with a mobile workshop) and really first-class personalised service, you might be providing something that many others are not (although there are a number that try). Furthermore, such executives and professionals generally are less concerned about the cost of the service (within the bounds of reason) than the quality and convenience of the service. Something to think about.

I generally use CycleLab, even though they are more expensive than my various LBS' because I know that the work is usually done correctly. I have had too many unhappy experiences with my various LBS' to want to go back to any of them. But it's a real PITA for me to get my wheels to CycleLab and back. I would gladly pay a few hundred Rand more to be able to save that time and spend it with my family or spend it cycling.

Perhaps think about starting by providing an exceptional personalised service and then you can maybe clip on other products over time.

Build a business plan, build a budget and figure out how to move forward. There are always possibilities.

I'm sorry I don't know much about the industry so I can't offer advice.

I can say if you have a passion for something, you will be surprised as to how talented you can become.

Good luck on your journey and let us know when you find something  :thumbup:

I do not think he intended to say what you understood him to say - miscommunication here.

Possibly...

The chap shouldnt shoot himself down like that off the bat though, doesnt instill confidence in anyone reading the post.

Not everyone has the skills for things straight away but the right attitude is what gets them on the right track  :thumbup:

The fact that you think things through is a sign of intelligence so it is a pity you cutting yourself short here. Everyone gave sound advice. Follow your passion and learn to master your craft.I'm sure the TDF mechanics got there by mastering their craft and not degrees. It will require grit, perseverance and passion.

I know one of the TdF mekkies and his biggest talent is listening and following orders.Many bike mechanics don't listen and do as they please.

Good luck to the OP.....bike industry is a cruel business.

I know of Millwrights walking away with 35k a month aged 27, a degree is only as good as the work ethic you have to back it up.

I would rather my kid does a trade and can work hard than studies a BA in something that will lead to no work at all. As for bicycle mechanics,

I always maintain work is not called love it is called work, so have a job you enjoy but keep it separate to your love, because you will soon realize that the weekends and events you want to cycle you will be working because everyone else is cycling and needs the mechanic...

Archived