The VIPA ULTRA - our purpose-built Stage Race / Endurance Bike

MomsenBikes SA

agreed! that's the best part of the new bike.

I think they could have done better than fill the top tube storage with a bag, like maybe a sliding cover held closed by a rare earth magnet but lets hope they develop the idea further and find a good working and aesthetically pleasing solution

was an option we looked at but that would require alot of tooling and even then dirt / grim getting into the slider would cause issues. the Bag is a solution that is both extremely easy to use and also very practical in terms of replacement / repair / evolution of concept ... 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You laugh - that's exactly the thought I had. This bike ticks almost every box I have for MTBs.

I wonder if Momsen want a Euro agency/contact?

this new frame-kit will be available worldwide -- one of the main reasons we are doing a frame-kit option. customers in Paraguay or Poffadder will be able to purchase. 

agreed! that's the best part of the new bike.

I think they could have done better than fill the top tube storage with a bag, like maybe a sliding cover held closed by a rare earth magnet but lets hope they develop the idea further and find a good working and aesthetically pleasing solution

My thoughts exactly.

My comments may be seen as negative, but I hold the Momsen Vipa to a high standard.

This new Vipa Ultra just do not excite like the original.

It is packed with lots of futures but seems they lack refinement.

Bespoke tools and accessories for the storage spaces that does not rattle.

Running cables internally on rear triangle.

Delay the bike with another year and dial in all aspects of the bike 100%.

Even consider a custom paint option, now were are talking next level that excites.

Is the suspension an update of current layout or total new design?

My thoughts exactly.

My comments may be seen as negative, but I hold the Momsen Vipa to a high standard.

This new Vipa Ultra just do not excite like the original.

It is packed with lots of futures but seems they lack refinement.

Bespoke tools and accessories for the storage spaces that does not rattle.

Running cables internally on rear triangle.

Delay the bike with another year and dial in all aspects of the bike 100%.

Even consider a custom paint option, now were are talking next level that excites.

Is the suspension an update of current layout or total new design?

if you compare the V1 ( now the RACE )  to the V2 ( we call it the ULTRA ) we honestly could not do anything more to it to make it a TOTAL EVOLUTION of the current bike!

if you consider V1 to V2, here is a brief outline :

• 80mm to 100mm
  • fixed geometry to customizable geometry
  • 1 bottle + adaptor for 2nd vs 2 FULL bottles with option for 3rd
  • 142x12 Rear vs 148x12 Rear
  • Eyelet to Eyelet Rear Shock vs Trunnion Mount Rear Shock 
  • 2013 Geometry to Progressive 2019 and beyond Geometry 
  • 110mm head tube length on Medium to Radical 90mm on Size 01
  • I.T.B Box Attachment for Storage vs Integrated Dual Storage Compartments

I don't think there is much more that can be done to a bike that has been arguably the most successful locally designed and developed full suspension carbon bike ever! 

yes, we may not be doing 100,000 frames in 1 just 1 frame model like our competitors, but we think we have DONE ALOT OF COOL STUFF here!!!

post-131547-0-10887400-1537182668_thumb.jpg

post-131547-0-60202400-1537182701_thumb.jpg

was an option we looked at but that would require alot of tooling and even then dirt / grim getting into the slider would cause issues. the Bag is a solution that is both extremely easy to use and also very practical in terms of replacement / repair / evolution of concept ...

As I stated in an earlier post I liked the original idea but this launch execution leaves the bike looking and feeling like the idea was shelved and a patch was applied.

There's a myriad of solutions that would look neater and be as functional. The sliding hatch is just a follow on from the concept the prototype had.

If you want to keep it simple and elegant then a simple elasticated cover similar to that used on expedition kayaks would have been great. Add a simple water proof zip down the centre and you have an elegant simple easy replaceable cover that can be colour coordinated to the bike.

But I'm just not buying into the bag at all. Sorry to sound negative. But the V2 finally brings a truly versatile bike to the SA market with an eyesore right where I'll be gazing while suffering up the Groenlandberg!

I understand that is what it is but that bag just doesn't grab me. Maybe it's just the incomplete look of it

if you compare the V1 ( now the RACE )  to the V2 ( we call it the ULTRA ) we honestly could not do anything more to it to make it a TOTAL EVOLUTION of the current bike!

if you consider V1 to V2, here is a brief outline :

• 80mm to 100mm
  • fixed geometry to customizable geometry
  • 1 bottle + adaptor for 2nd vs 2 FULL bottles with option for 3rd
  • 142x12 Rear vs 148x12 Rear
  • Eyelet to Eyelet Rear Shock vs Trunnion Mount Rear Shock 
  • 2013 Geometry to Progressive 2019 and beyond Geometry 
  • 110mm head tube length on Medium to Radical 90mm on Size 01
  • I.T.B Box Attachment for Storage vs Integrated Dual Storage Compartments

I don't think there is much more that can be done to a bike that has been arguably the most successful locally designed and developed full suspension carbon bike ever! 

yes, we may not be doing 100,000 frames in 1 just 1 frame model like our competitors, but we think we have DONE ALOT OF COOL STUFF here!!!

My post from 14 March 2018.

I was thinking last night if the Momsen sponsored riders will ride Epic with the new Vipa 2019.

Few weeks back Victor mentioned they are busy with new Vipa for 2019.

If they show concepts at Epic, how does it effect sales during 2018, I for one will wait.

Do you have inside info?

My guess:

68.5 degree Head angle

100mm back and 100-120mm front

Boost front and back

Single only

Trunnion mount rear shock

Cable management system

About 80% correct, the changes from V1 to V2 is what the market dictated. My assumption above from V1 to V2 was from reading and seeing what other competitors are doing.

My point was, take all of the above improvements that was made and make them excellent/more refined.

Example:

The rear triangle cable management system, integrated in rear triangle with cover between the two triangles.

The top tube shock mount profile/style looks different to the rest of the frames tube styles, more cohesion between front and back triangle and tube profiles.

TWT distribute Profile Design and Lezyne, come together and make bespoke custom tooling for the different storing departments.

I am looking forward to see one in the flesh and the pricing of frame sets. 

Best of luck with your sales, may the V2 be more successful than V1.

I see the frameset is priced at R42500 , suppose things don't get cheaper theses days just more expensive

Problem is its still manufactured abroad using labour and materials sourced abroad therefore subject to global commodity prices and exchange rate.

American brand products are R10k-r15k more expensive in 2019 my

As I stated in an earlier post I liked the original idea but this launch execution leaves the bike looking and feeling like the idea was shelved and a patch was applied.

There's a myriad of solutions that would look neater and be as functional. The sliding hatch is just a follow on from the concept the prototype had.

If you want to keep it simple and elegant then a simple elasticated cover similar to that used on expedition kayaks would have been great. Add a simple water proof zip down the centre and you have an elegant simple easy replaceable cover that can be colour coordinated to the bike.

But I'm just not buying into the bag at all. Sorry to sound negative. But the V2 finally brings a truly versatile bike to the SA market with an eyesore right where I'll be gazing while suffering up the Groenlandberg!

I understand that is what it is but that bag just doesn't grab me. Maybe it's just the incomplete look of it

I have a 2014 VIPA and absolutely love it! I saw the new Ultra at Transbaviaans and if I have to replace my current bike, it would probably be with this (although at the cost I would have to wait for some second hand one's or need some help from the insurance though  :blush: ). 

I have to agree with the above post - and I realize taste differ - but that bag in the top tube will put me off completely. I will rather tape the frame with gorilla tape or something! Why not have various options - personally I would prefer a cover similar to the one in the down tube.

I'm going to guess somewhere in the Drakensberg along the Freedom Trail.... 

I'm going to guess close to Black Fountain

My sweat tends to drip on the top tube, so the top tube bag is a no-go for me, but it does look like a very nice bike and I wouldn't mind having one.

Archived