Trailer service

eddy

I am off on a long trip with a Venter trailer that has been standing for a few years and I want to have the wheel bearings serviced before I go.

Where best to have this done ? A tire shop, an independent car service centre, which of these ?

I am off on a long trip with a Venter trailer that has been standing for a few years and I want to have the wheel bearings serviced before I go.

Where best to have this done ? A tire shop, an independent car service centre, which of these ?

Ask your mates... :)

Any garage should be able to do it. It's a simple job. Maybe an hours labour and some consumables.

Or you can DIY it... Jack the trailer up, take the wheel off, pop off the dust cap, remove the split pin (Usually a good idea to replace it with a new one), undo the nut and remove the hub. Wash out the old grease, rinse and repack with wheel bearing grease. Check the condition of the seal at the same time. Reverse order to assemble. Nut finger tight, spin the hub to make sure the bearing has seated properly and then tighten the nut until the split pin hole lines up with the next turret on the castle nut (Shouldn't be more than a fraction of a turn). Replace the dust cap and refit the wheel. Torque the wheel nuts. Grab a beer and post on the hub about your incredible DIY skills  :thumbup:

It really is an easy diy job. However if it has been standing on its wheels for those years, I'd replace the tyres and bearings. The cost is low compared to the peace of mind. Those tyres probably developed a flat spot and a few cracks.

Agree on the tires, they are not that expensive, but can cost a lot of money due to a blowout.

If you do tyres, I hope for your wallet's sake they are 13" and not 10".....

I did the 10-13" conversion on my Venter about 10 years back.

Worked out cheaper than buying 3 new 10" tyres. 

Plus the added benefits to having bigger circumference wheels.

As did I. Infact, I put new mags on my car, and used the old ones on my trailer, so now they are interchangeable. 15' Mags on a Venter Elite trailer looks lekker "East Rand Special"  :whistling:  :ph34r:

As did I. Infact, I put new mags on my car, and used the old ones on my trailer, so now they are interchangeable. 15' Mags on a Venter Elite trailer looks lekker "East Rand Special"  :whistling:  :ph34r:

I was given 13" rims and tyres from a getz, but they did not fit, so landed up going to a Venter centre, lift kit + 3 rims and tyres cost me less than getting tyres from a tyre place.

That poor Venter, I've spent more pimping it out than what I paid for it.

Nose Cone

Bike Rack

Gas lifts

lift kit and wheel upgrade.

I am in the process of doing the conversion. Only issue is the difference in PCD... Changing form 4x101.6mm (existing) to 4x100mm proved interesting! I already had 3 golf rims so used those and made up adaptor plates. Need to move the fenders to allow for clearance. Will need to paint afterwards though. Might as well fit new LED taillights while I am at it. At the end if the day I'll still have spent less than buying 2 10" tyres.....

I am in the process of doing the conversion. Only issue is the difference in PCD... Changing form 4x101.6mm (existing) to 4x100mm proved interesting! I already had 3 golf rims so used those and made up adaptor plates. Need to move the fenders to allow for clearance. Will need to paint afterwards though. Might as well fit new LED taillights while I am at it. At the end if the day I'll still have spent less than buying 2 10" tyres.....

what works also is to drill the Wheel holes on the golf rims from 12mm to 14mm and this should sort the pcd Issue out and no need for Adaptors. We do this all the time no issues.

Damn what do those 10 inch tyres cost then? Sounds like more than Conti MTB tyres...

Thank you to all who offered advice. I followed up and got myself sorted.

HubRules

what works also is to drill the Wheel holes on the golf rims from 12mm to 14mm and this should sort the pcd Issue out and no need for Adaptors. We do this all the time no issues.

Bit of a hijack but thoughts on fitting 112pcd wheels to a 114.3pcd hub?

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Archived