Trans Baviaans 2018

maidenmole

The weight of a light and battery over the first 100 km is not a massive issue. We put lights on at the start in case we could not find boxes. Also used virtually nothing of the spares and food etc that we packed. Only took warm clothes at CP 3 for Bergplaas.

Unless you are a racing snake, dont over plan the thing. Take what you need cos it is a lot of hassle trying to find you boxes. Took almost half of our transition time overall.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone able to assist with driving a car from Willowmore to JBay? For the Race weekend. Driver would be needed on the 11th Aug.

Please PM me if you can help.

Edited by Fitbull

Finding Container at Checkpoint:  You guys that have done the race before, how long does it take to get your container at the checkpoints? At 36One we customized the boxes with something to make it stand-out, but I see you are not allowed at TB. Any tips on this? 

Finding Container at Checkpoint: You guys that have done the race before, how long does it take to get your container at the checkpoints? At 36One we customized the boxes with something to make it stand-out, but I see you are not allowed at TB. Any tips on this?

Depends on two factors. The containers are loaded off the trucks and packed in numerical order. So you walk up and tell them eg "662". The guy or one of the helpers walk to the spot and finds and bring you the crate. So depends how many other riders are asking for their crates and how quickly they bring it. Usually no more than a minute. 2 max.

Forgot to order my official Trans Baviaans Cycling jersey during race entry. Will these be available to purchase along with other trans baviaans apparel on friday at registration?

Forgot to order my official Trans Baviaans Cycling jersey during race entry. Will these be available to purchase along with other trans baviaans apparel on friday at registration?

There’s normally a host of cycling retailers outside the Town Hall at registration, with the official kit on sale too.

Would be keen to get feedback on the condition of the roads cause we doing the Repeat next week..  :-)

Compared to last year, I would say a fair side better from a corrugations point of view. Didn't notice much difference in the first 50kms, but between CP1 and 2 the road is MUCH smoother. That rollercoaster section is super fast. Once you're in the reserve it's pretty loose and rocky as usual. Fang 1 ain't so lekker, but Fang 2 has those concrete block sections, so that's sharp. MAC is as it was last year, but the Big Dipper is smooth and very fast. Coming closer to J-bay we had some muddy patches and the railway singletrack was pretty messy and sketchy at times. That should dry out if there's no more rain.

Ciovita has a stand where you get your race number and sell the shirt there. They also have bibs, arm warmers, Legwarmers (saved my life n Saturday) and some other goodies. Versus socks are there as well. Good luck for the weekend 

What a great race, I rode it with a hardtail, did not ride last year so can't comment on last years road conditions, but have no complaints on this years roads conditions, just lots of streams in the kloof and from last waterpoint it was muddy incluiding the singletrack. It was freezing on the morning but at 10 it was nice and hot. Bergplaas was frosty and as soon as the sun went down it was quite cold. 

Would be keen to get feedback on the condition of the roads cause we doing the Repeat next week..  :-)

Was my first one so can't compare to last year.

The first part to cp1 is fast and smooth 

From cp1 the road is good with some bumpy sections in between.  The water crossings are low to very low with water so not too much to worry about wet feet. 

Both fangs have the concrete blocks so they are not too bad, steep but the concrete helps a lot. MAC was not bad. with concrete slabs on most of the steep parts you don't have to worry about wheels slipping going up. 

Going down from Bergplaas the road was awesome. 

2 deeper water crossing so my feet got wet but that's about it. 

mini MAC is nice and rocky and the 5km single track at the end was very slippery.

Overall a great race and an awesome event. 

Light tailwind with better road conditions compared to last year, still some corrugated sections but generally smoother. Water/checkpoints were really great, took me less than a minute to get our boxes, well done to those gents who set out the boxes and assist with getting them.

Improved my personal best by 32 minutes for a 13h45, very stoked with that. Myself and partner rode the whole way, no walking at all. 

Roads were good, not as much corrugations as previous years leading up to CP2.(avg spd was 34'5)

River crossings was good except 1, after CP3 was pretty deep, my partner fell into the water(his first TB)my bike was submerged till over my water bottle... I made it.

The Finish line wet lube worked well ,I didn't need to lubricate for the whole race. :clap:

At CP 7 we went wrong, same as team DSV, was pissed off as that was a 6min detour and we cld have taken 4th, but that's how the cookie crumbles, Ferreira joined us in the wrong route who eventually finished 6th overall. Some road tactics came into play on the tar section, attacks followed from their side but there was no way We were surrendering... I waited for the single track up the railway line to up the tempo and saw the lights fayed in the distance, nervous moments as we had 2 slippery moments that cld have caused a fall.

Hats off to my partner who did his first TB, To all the finishers off TB Race, I salute you.

Good luck to the guys next wknd.  :thumbup:

Edited by vulgar

So are they going to star the race at 11 or 11:30 from now on? Winners in at 7:51. Nearly an hour faster than last year. Its just insane. 

Guess the 2018 Works Team bikes are 10% faster than last years.......

At 11 o clock Sat night the officials reported that they were still waiting for the backmarkers to reach bergplaas. Talking about a long ride

Weather conditions look quite favourable, so I suspect the condition of the roads will be very similar to what we had. The road into the reserve is in good nick - decent lines, minimal corrugations. I thought the road in the reserve was slightly worse that previous years, although the new concrete sections up Fangs almost make up for it.

The long water crossing is quite low, and that's the general vibe with most of the river crossings. Despite the drought, it's definitely wetter on the Patensie side of BergPlaas.

If the weather holds, the k@k section next to the railway line will be awesome, thanks to over a thousand riders riding it in ;P