Trans Baviaans 2018

maidenmole

I find it so difficult to compare Baviaans to other long distance races, especially if you want to hang at the front. It's the bit where you aren't in control of the pace, and if you don't watch out, you can end up in very bad shape with 130kms still to go!

Very easy to loose yourself in the first 100km and go a bit too hard without actually knowing that you are going too hard. Baviaans Back and Fangs quickly remind you that you cooked yourself a bit soon, if you did.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The email from ecobound says we need a CSA license to qualify for results... true?

"CSA License, we are a CSA sanctioned event and you need a license to ride and qualify for results. We will not sell day licenses at the event."

Don't race through wet riverbeds. You just end up wetting everyone else and washing lube off your bike. You'll look like a tosser. Your bikes longevity is as important as your own.

What is the alternative? Carry your bike through the riverbed? Or is there a drier line you can take? Edited by thisismyotherbike

What is the alternative? Carry your bike through the riverbed? Or is there a drier line you can take?

Just ride through slowly. There are a couple of places in the deeper ones(depends on the amount of water in the kloof) with hidden holes so just take it slow and steady.

Looking forward to Saturday. Wonder what the road condition is like for the 1st 100km? Last year it was brutal.

What is the alternative? Carry your bike through the riverbed? Or is there a drier line you can take?

Yep, slow down to 15km/h or so and just coast through. Knobs smash through at 40km/h and cause a 2 meter tsunami going left and right, wetting everyone around you.

Yep, slow down to 15km/h or so and just coast through. Knobs smash through at 40km/h and cause a 2 meter tsunami going left and right, wetting everyone around you.

I think they are referring to the loooong river crossing just after the checkpoint. I'd pay good money to see someone hit that at 15km/h, let alone 40km/h!

if you're doing it on a 1x drivetrain, make sure you run a 32 upfront and a 11-50 at the back.  last year i went in with a 11-44 at the back and ended up hiking for extended sections of the "cement track" roads.

also, I echo the sentiment to eat in the first 100!  I offered to share my 3 x chocolate bars that i packed for the first 100km with two guys that looked broken and ended up without energy myself having only had one snack in the first 4-5 hours.  Took me from the 100km water point to the op of bergplaas to regain some energy, so the mid-section of the race was a disaster.

if you're doing it on a 1x drivetrain, make sure you run a 32 upfront and a 11-50 at the back.  last year i went in with a 11-44 at the back and ended up hiking for extended sections of the "cement track" roads.

also, I echo the sentiment to eat in the first 100!  I offered to share my 3 x chocolate bars that i packed for the first 100km with two guys that looked broken and ended up without energy myself having only had one snack in the first 4-5 hours.  Took me from the 100km water point to the op of bergplaas to regain some energy, so the mid-section of the race was a disaster.

Have a 1 x11, 34t and 11-46 at the back eish hope i am fit enough

I think they are referring to the loooong river crossing just after the checkpoint. I'd pay good money to see someone hit that at 15km/h, let alone 40km/h!

Oh that one. I'd probably hoof it. Its always wet there, and usually deep enough to ride but also deep enough to not know what you are riding over. You'd loose maybe a minute or two by walking it, if that much, and know you are getting out the other side with inflated tyres and the lube you put on 300 meters backup the road.

Does anybody have an idea how bad the corrugation of the road is this year?

I saw photos of them "grading?" the roads, so if that's true it should be better than last year. Dunno if they graded 100km worth though.