Upgrading Fork FOX/MRP

New2ride2015

Hey Guys, 

So i started a thread on here a week ago and that led me to deciding to upgrade my current 2016 Trance 2 instead of getting another bike. 

Currently wanting to replace the stock fox 32 ctd 140mm fork with a 160mm. 

Cant seem to find one down here but the new Fox 36 Performance Elite 160mm 27.5 Grip 2 or I have seen and read reviews on the MRP Ribbon. 

Do any of you ride one of the above or have any input? 

I was going to go with a cheaper fork but instead of putting cash into a new bike I'm going to get a higher end fork and then in a few years I can upgrade to a newer frame if need be and move the new fork over. 

Thanks in advance 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridden both. Didn't really like the 36 much. Not sure why, maybe I was expecting a lot more but I didn't feel it was as good as the MRP. I felt the 36 lacked a bit of support in the middle and end. Maybe I needed more time on it to get the set up right (it is the choice of ripper world over who aren't already ripping on lyrics or Helms after all). The MRP was spot on, easy set up and was perfect. Support here is really good to.

If I were you why not look at a Manitou Mattoc from CRC? They are very, very good and for the price it's a hell of a steal. Under R5k with 50% off, it's max 160mm and internally adjustable to 140mm and 130mm. LSC / HSC, adjustable bottom out etc. I'd never even thought about them and then rode a friends bike with one on and it was a real surprise. 27.5 at 160mm on a Capra and I didn't want to give it back. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

I can't comment on the 36 or Mattoc - haven't riddent them. I do have a Ribbon on my bike and I love it. Platform is super stiff, the fork is very supple, and very adjustable. There are independent negative and positive air chambers, this allows you to run them at slightly different pressures which allows for fine tuning of how the fork feels. The ramp control is also very nice, let me run the fork at quite low pressures, and just turn up the progressiveness when I know things are gonna get gnarly.

Very happy with, highly reccommended from my side. That being said, I have heard amazing things about the Mattoc which is a lot cheaper, and I am also very happy with my Fox 34 (Fit 4 damper) for different reasons.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either of those three options, or a Pike or Lyrik if you wanna throw RS into the mix aswell.

All that said, I would buy a Ribbon again in a heartbeat. The support here from Trailtech is top notch.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Ridden both. Didn't really like the 36 much. Not sure why, maybe I was expecting a lot more but I didn't feel it was as good as the MRP. I felt the 36 lacked a bit of support in the middle and end. Maybe I needed more time on it to get the set up right (it is the choice of ripper world over who aren't already ripping on lyrics or Helms after all). The MRP was spot on, easy set up and was perfect. Support here is really good to.

If I were you why not look at a Manitou Mattoc from CRC? They are very, very good and for the price it's a hell of a steal. Under R5k with 50% off, it's max 160mm and internally adjustable to 140mm and 130mm. LSC / HSC, adjustable bottom out etc. I'd never even thought about them and then rode a friends bike with one on and it was a real surprise. 27.5 at 160mm on a Capra and I didn't want to give it back. 

Check the reviews on the Manitou Mattoc...you will notice all are amazing. Also it is adjustable easily by yourself in 10mm increments from 140 to 160mm so you can chop and change. Also...they were coming in from CRC landed at like R6000 not too long back.

Hey Guys, 

So i started a thread on here a week ago and that led me to deciding to upgrade my current 2016 Trance 2 instead of getting another bike. 

Currently wanting to replace the stock fox 32 ctd 140mm fork with a 160mm. 

Cant seem to find one down here but the new Fox 36 Performance Elite 160mm 27.5 Grip 2 or I have seen and read reviews on the MRP Ribbon. 

Do any of you ride one of the above or have any input? 

I was going to go with a cheaper fork but instead of putting cash into a new bike I'm going to get a higher end fork and then in a few years I can upgrade to a newer frame if need be and move the new fork over. 

Thanks in advance 

Been down this road and ended up getting a used Fox 34 Factory and added a MRP ramp control.

The 36 might be beefier but the 34 was more than good enough.

I had mine set at 150mm, 160mm is overkill given the rear travel.

BTW, a fork upgrade is pretty nice but the thru axle mod out back is a must do.

Look for a MRP stage or DVO ossibly too.

Check out the DVO Beryl and Diamond as well. The Diamond is their flagship, but both have plenty of adjustability.

I've also got a used MRP Stage knocking around as a lower priced option.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Has helped me make a more informed decision for sure!

Checking out prices and reviews for that Mattoc and it does look epic. Fact that I can start at 160 and if it's too much for daily rider trails round here I can always drop it myself. 

Also upgrading to a Flow MK3 wheelset so with the cash savings on the fork I can get a 1x11 upgrade, chainguide, maxxis wheel options to try out a workshop stand and lots of other things and still have cash left over. 

Thanks again! 

Check out the DVO Beryl and Diamond as well. The Diamond is their flagship, but both have plenty of adjustability.

I've also got a used MRP Stage knocking around as a lower priced option.

Thanks drew, I checked out the Diamond too but have decided I cant ignore the Mattoc price. May see you guys for a suspension setup when it's all down and one day hopefully a fox x2 out back. Cheers 

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Has helped me make a more informed decision for sure!

Checking out prices and reviews for that Mattoc and it does look epic. Fact that I can start at 160 and if it's too much for daily rider trails round here I can always drop it myself. 

Also upgrading to a Flow MK3 wheelset so with the cash savings on the fork I can get a 1x11 upgrade, chainguide, maxxis wheel options to try out a workshop stand and lots of other things and still have cash left over. 

Thanks again! 

DON'T do Flow mk3 unless you have a VERY good builder doing them, and he takes extra care not to over-tension them. Seems the latest iteration has a few niggles with their strength around the nipple area. 

DON'T do Flow mk3 unless you have a VERY good builder doing them, and he takes extra care not to over-tension them. Seems the latest iteration has a few niggles with their strength around the nipple area. 

Ok hectic have not heard that until now. Was looking at them on CW. Any other wheelsets for 27.5 Trance you can think of? 

Ok hectic have not heard that until now. Was looking at them on CW. Any other wheelsets for 27.5 Trance you can think of? 

egh, CWC use straight gauge spokes in their builds. Wouldn't go that route at all.

Kore 3.0 

WTB i29 / i35

LYNE AMP 30 (my pick, tbh) - https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/wheels/products/amp-30-alloy-wheelset-27-5

Edited by Cptmayhem

egh, CWC use straight gauge spokes in their builds. Wouldn't go that route at all.

Kore 3.0 

WTB i29 / i35

LYNE AMP 30 (my pick, tbh) - https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/wheels/products/amp-30-alloy-wheelset-27-5

Ok cheers for the heads up will look at the above. Also if you know where to look for these wheels? Chain reaction, Jenson USA, usually look on them not sure round Cape Town

Edited by New2ride2015