Concussion

I had a crash a few weeks ago with a pretty bad concussion - I don't remember going for a ride, nor four hours after the ride.  Apparently I was asking the same questions over and over again and also got lost in the Silvermine car park (there's only one road leading to it so it's hard to get lost) - found this out the next day from someone who pointed me in the right direction.  I eventually went to the hospital about seven hours after the crash after going into shock.  Turns out I had broken my collarbone as the worst of the visible injuries, but the doctors were only interested in this - they didn't care about the concussion at all.  I brought up the concussion the next day with another doctor and again a few days later with the surgeon pre-op.  Nobody cared.  To me this was odd since I can see on the gps data that I didn't move at all for twelve minutes, and clearly had issues after.  Since then I've noticed I have moments of confusion or I'll ask or think of asking a question which I've already asked.  It's a very odd feeling. 

I keep wondering why nothing was done by the doctors when I was at the hospital though.  Is concussion just not taken that seriously here?

This is the second time I've had a bad concussion (the first time I was knocked out for a longer period and had more memory loss) and it's now making me worry about what will happen if it occurs again. 

Same happened to me in 2015. Went OTB at over 40km/h, only visible effect was a broken collarbone, and some missing time afterwards when thinking back about the 'event'.

Walked into casualty at Sunninghill (was taken there by the club's following vehicle), Where I as asked if I had a concussion (seriously!)..... Needless to say, no tests, no scans.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been mildly concussed at least twice from bike wipes. Funny thing is the memory of being concussed is strong. You forget parts of what is happening at the time but I recall that feeling of being in a dream like state and the lucid bits in between vividly. My wife didn't find it funny after she picked me up to go to hospital and i pretended I couldn't remember her name though.

You also can't predict what kind of effect a crash will have. I've hit a rock really hard with the side of my head and written off the helmet with no concussion but suffered concussion on a slow speed OTB. A good helmet is essential and I think the MIPs or other rotational force reducers plus a thicker foam layer probably all help a little but the primary function of the helmet is to prevent your skull being fractured, not to prevent concussion. Get a proper MTB trail/enduro helmet rather than a glorified road lid that I see many people still riding with. 

There are some horror stories of bike racers suffering repeat hits and the effects of the injury multiplying and effectively becoming irreversible. Look up Lorraine Truong 

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/girl-interrupted-lorraine-truong-head-injury-bmc-bikes.html

Also look up Claudio Caluori - he only managed half a DH track preview this year. He was knocked out but carried on riding and was discharged from hospital the same day. A month later he needed fluid drains at two points on his skull to relieve the pressure. 

Edited by Headshot

Same happened to me in 2015. Went OTB at over 40km/h, only visible effect was a broken collarbone, and some missing time afterwards when thinking back about the 'event'.

Walked into casualty at Sunninghill (was taken there by the club's following vehicle), Where I as asked if I had a concussion (seriously!)..... Needless to say, no tests, no scans.

Had a fall a few months back - walked into casualty at Sunninghill. First thing the doctor did, was send me for a CT Scan and X-Rays. 

Was booked off for 2 weeks and told not to do any exercise. 

Generally find that their casualty is excellent

I suffered from all the symptoms highlighted in red, and 2 years later, the yellow symptoms still linger. It is getting to be less frequent, but have not completely cleared up yet.

If i look at your chart ...my sysmptons

sleep more than usual

dizziness ...when i stand up ...but had this issue before ...i was told to increase my salt intake due to low pressure.

feeling slowed down ...i am normally hectic ADD ...lately i feel more relaxed and focused....might not be a bad thing ...today i am going through project files ...finding things which require attention that i have over looked in the past due to rush rush mode.

If i look at your chart ...my sysmptons

sleep more than usual

dizziness ...when i stand up ...but had this issue before ...i was told to increase my salt intake due to low pressure.

feeling slowed down ...i am normally hectic ADD ...lately i feel more relaxed and focused....might not be a bad thing ...today i am going through project files ...finding things which require attention that i have over looked in the past due to rush rush mode.

I have some weird symptoms, like when I walk into the bathroom and look into the mirror, I feel a sense of vertigo. And when I am at the kitchen sink washing dishes, I get a sense of irritation and frustration, and struggle to form a cohesive sense of what do to first. I never used to be like this. 

I sometimes also struggle to remember things like a place- or person's name, or I will forget what I just decided to do 10 minutes ago, only to remember again later on, usually when it's too late for me to remember that particular tidbit. I could be chatting away, and think to say something, only to lose my train of thought the moment I want to say it, and then for the life of me not remember a part of the story, something like forgetting the punch line to a joke.

I am attributing the vertigo / fuzziness to concussion, and the rest only partially to it. What I have found is that I sometimes get a ache at the exact same spot on my head, and for 2 -3 days it will linger until reaching boiling point and become a full-blown headache.

I sometimes also struggle to remember things like a place- or person's name, or I will forget what I just decided to do 10 minutes ago, only to remember again later on, usually when it's too late for me to remember that particular tidbit. I could be chatting away, and think to say something, only to lose my train of thought the moment I want to say it, and then for the life of me not remember a part of the story, something like forgetting the punch line to a joke.

I thought this was an old age thing...like your eye sight...hearing ....hair line and all the other things that start to decline as you hit 40 something.

Just thought I'd add a bit about the "when to return" thought.  The NFL has done extensive research on concussions.  I was going to post their 5 step protocol for return to play, but it is pretty much the same as what has already been posted.  However, I did want to add this quote as it is hugely important...

"Each player and each concussion is unique, and there is no set time-frame for return to participation. Team medical staff consider the player’s current concussive injury, as well as past exposures and medical history, family history and future risk in managing a player’s care."

On another point - please tell us you are not using the helmet anymore!

I had a crash a few weeks ago with a pretty bad concussion - I don't remember going for a ride, nor four hours after the ride.  Apparently I was asking the same questions over and over again and also got lost in the Silvermine car park (there's only one road leading to it so it's hard to get lost) - found this out the next day from someone who pointed me in the right direction.  I eventually went to the hospital about seven hours after the crash after going into shock.  Turns out I had broken my collarbone as the worst of the visible injuries, but the doctors were only interested in this - they didn't care about the concussion at all.  I brought up the concussion the next day with another doctor and again a few days later with the surgeon pre-op.  Nobody cared.  To me this was odd since I can see on the gps data that I didn't move at all for twelve minutes, and clearly had issues after.  Since then I've noticed I have moments of confusion or I'll ask or think of asking a question which I've already asked.  It's a very odd feeling. 

I keep wondering why nothing was done by the doctors when I was at the hospital though.  Is concussion just not taken that seriously here?

This is the second time I've had a bad concussion (the first time I was knocked out for a longer period and had more memory loss) and it's now making me worry about what will happen if it occurs again. 

At which facility were you assessed? I am not aiming at pointing fingers, just trying to understand why less emphasis was placed on your head injury.

Had a fall a few months back - walked into casualty at Sunninghill. First thing the doctor did, was send me for a CT Scan and X-Rays.

Was booked off for 2 weeks and told not to do any exercise.

Generally find that their casualty is excellent

Sounds like they started acting according to protocol. Their patient care in hospital was atrocious then as well; not cleaning wounds; air cons not working. That changed for the better as well, as I had to go back to have the clavicle plate removed as I was happy with the work the surgeon did with the initial fix. Edited by 'Kaze Pete

Just thought I'd add a bit about the "when to return" thought.  The NFL has done extensive research on concussions.  I was going to post their 5 step protocol for return to play, but it is pretty much the same as what has already been posted.  However, I did want to add this quote as it is hugely important...

"Each player and each concussion is unique, and there is no set time-frame for return to participation. Team medical staff consider the player’s current concussive injury, as well as past exposures and medical history, family history and future risk in managing a player’s care."

On another point - please tell us you are not using the helmet anymore!

I have started the recovery process...it is going very slow...working with Matt at cadence and taken note of the attached posted...if anything doesnt feel right i stop.

Today i did low endurance at a slow pace...felt ok...increased to low tempo...started feeling light headed...stopped...had a break for a while and went back down to low endurance...had another break and just finished off with a very light pedal...just going to ease into it slowly.

The right side of the helmet broke in 3 places and cannot be used...i believe in wearing a good quality helmet...gona do a little research before i purchase my next helmet...the catlike leaf seems pretty strong and i might replace it with a catlike again....Catlike agents SA have offered a crash replace at a reduced price.

At which facility were you assessed? I am not aiming at pointing fingers, just trying to understand why less emphasis was placed on your head injury.

I don't have medical aid so went government - twice to False Bay for the two initial trips and then to Victoria for the surgery.  

just over 2 weeks...been listening to the body...if anything doesnt feel right ...i stop...yesterday i go back to cadence and attempt a session...dont even get through 1 interval and i am feel out of it...dizzy...stand up to pedal...right foot unclips and almost fall off the bike...sit down and finish off the session at below endurance (slow pedal) ...even though i am eating 100 % healthy food (fruit and veg...no sugar sweets...not even a cheat biscuit...yet my stomach is not feeling great.

edit: chatted to the doctor.

Edited by eccc whippet

Yeah, Iain. I have to say - you're trying to rush this, when you knnow that you're not ready to come back, yet. Rest. Concussion is no joke. It's not the same for everyone, but the dangers are real. 

I had a long chat with the doc this morning...he indicated that "generally" 10 days would be the norm to stay off everything...then start easing back into it while monitoring it.....but with my past history...it seems it could be affecting my recovery time.

The reason i am getting frustrated...i spent a hand full of cash to get to this point...shova entrance fee...22 cadence sessions so far...dietitian...off bike conditioning etc...it is not like i am training to win a race...it is just a personal challenge...so i have decided to step down and take it easy...focus on recovery and weight loss...cadence is paid up...so i am just gona keep up the weekly routine...just at my own pace. 

I don't have medical aid so went government - twice to False Bay for the two initial trips and then to Victoria for the surgery.  

I can only assume that you were competing with sheer numbers. Often the correct procedure is followed (so, you are safe) in assessing your injuries, but due to time and resource constraints the communication back to you falls down the wayside. Although I am familiar with both facilities, I can only assume.

Hope you are on the mend, though!  :)