Football

IceCreamMan

We invested in the wrong manager, there's no denying that.

Everton, West Ham... also spent plenty, hasn't worked out. We wanted Grealish, but 30million pounds was rejected, for a championship player... I can live with that. Is he better than Winks? Maybe one day, right now, probably not. 

Spurs problem is simple, we have a serious wage cap, it's been released a little to keep the Kanes and Eriksens content for now, but there are very few players who would improve our team or even our bench that fit into our wage structures... and yes, we also have a stadium to pay off. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Long term yes , but what about the short-medium term? Is it worth falling behind? How long till your star players want more than just a place in the top 4?

Top 4 is what it is all about .. top 4 comes with a lot more cash when you consider EPL and CL TV rights splits etc etc..

Top 4 is what it is all about .. top 4 comes with a lot more cash when you consider EPL and CL TV rights splits etc etc..

Well as long they can keep Kane, Alli,Eriksen and don't resort to match fixing they should be okay long term.[emoji6]

Absolutely, just ask Wenger, Top 4 is a Trophy in his books. Well that is the story he told us for a decade and a half till he was no longer to achieve that Top 4

And you see the club with the biggest ~profit~ ...well there you have it. Is why we in trouble and have been since 2015 more or less.

It's the one thing we have sort of managed to stop... Levy keeps our top players on long contracts and they only leave on our terms. And they generally get replaced. Would of been lovely if we still had Modric and Bale these last four years  :wub: 

Bale of course came from you guys too though

It's the one thing we have sort of managed to stop... Levy keeps our top players on long contracts and they only leave on our terms. And they generally get replaced. Would of been lovely if we still had Modric and Bale these last four years  :wub: 

Bale of course came from you guys too though

Saints academy must be one of the best in the world i reckon, certainly looking at the past and the products from there. Walcott, Bale etc etc etc.

When the old man bought the club back in 2008(9? cant remember) Southampton were essentially bankrupt and on the way to a shell of the former glory. Points deducted for going into administration etc. With clever investing and prudent plans club had a rapid rise back to former glory and premiership.

Then the old man passed away and left the business to his daughter, not a football lover and certainly more of an eye for the quick buck than the sustainability of the club. then the selling started. Now we have a chinese investor on board and i have yet to see any meaningful investment. Ings was a good , nay a great acquisistion , probably sell him back to liverpool in January :) . When i watch teams in the premiership and in uefa champions league and see the ex saints players all over the place it breaks my lil heart, however it is what it is. We just cannot afford to pay players the wages being asked by the top top guys. Given that Southampton is not a 'wealth' centre this is going to be the case. Same as Burnley, Huddersfield town, Brighton, Cardiff, Bournemouth and a few others.  A city like London has 7 or 8 teams in the premiership, and they all spend lots more money. Liverpoor's teams and manchersters teams with the london sides are the big money spenders and the league table refelcts this with the possible exception of Bornemouth.

Anyway, its football, somehow the spend has to stop or be capped. This owning a football team for the ego is not good for the fans or the game i suspect.

Absolutely, just ask Wenger, Top 4 is a Trophy in his books. Well that is the story he told us for a decade and a half till he was no longer to achieve that Top 4

I know he got mocked for that but I agree with his statement - he was able to hang on to his job despite all the criticism/hate as long as Arsenal was finishing Top 4. 

2016/2017 he finished outside the Top 4 and probably only the FA Cup win saved him from being sacked. 2017/2018 again and he was gone.

I don't think any coach of the Big 6 teams will keep his job after missing out of the Top 4 more than once, even Klopp and Pochetino

Saints academy must be one of the best in the world i reckon, certainly looking at the past and the products from there. Walcott, Bale etc etc etc.

When the old man bought the club back in 2008(9? cant remember) Southampton were essentially bankrupt and on the way to a shell of the former glory. Points deducted for going into administration etc. With clever investing and prudent plans club had a rapid rise back to former glory and premiership.

Then the old man passed away and left the business to his daughter, not a football lover and certainly more of an eye for the quick buck than the sustainability of the club. then the selling started. Now we have a chinese investor on board and i have yet to see any meaningful investment. Ings was a good , nay a great acquisistion , probably sell him back to liverpool in January :) . When i watch teams in the premiership and in uefa champions league and see the ex saints players all over the place it breaks my lil heart, however it is what it is. We just cannot afford to pay players the wages being asked by the top top guys. Given that Southampton is not a 'wealth' centre this is going to be the case. Same as Burnley, Huddersfield town, Brighton, Cardiff, Bournemouth and a few others. A city like London has 7 or 8 teams in the premiership, and they all spend lots more money. Liverpoor's teams and manchersters teams with the london sides are the big money spenders and the league table refelcts this with the possible exception of Bornemouth.

Anyway, its football, somehow the spend has to stop or be capped. This owning a football team for the ego is not good for the fans or the game i suspect.

Well the players have to come from somewhere..they maybe just need to figure out how to integrate those players into the first team..and the only way is to feature in the domestic league..tough job that...

Anyone of you following the CL youth competition..?

Speaking of academies..I wonder if Barca will ever be able to produce a group of the same quality as they did with the Messi group.

I know he got mocked for that but I agree with his statement - he was able to hang on to his job despite all the criticism/hate as long as Arsenal was finishing Top 4.

2016/2017 he finished outside the Top 4 and probably only the FA Cup win saved him from being sacked. 2017/2018 again and he was gone.

I don't think any coach of the Big 6 teams will keep his job after missing out of the Top 4 more than once, even Klopp and Pochetino

I don't think Liverpool or Spurs will sack Klopp or Poch if they miss out of top 4. Who would they replace them with? They are the best fit for their respective clubs.

Then the old man passed away and left the business to his daughter, not a football lover and certainly more of an eye for the quick buck than the sustainability of the club. then the selling started. Now we have a chinese investor on board and i have yet to see any meaningful investment. Ings was a good , nay a great acquisistion , probably sell him back to liverpool in January :) . When i watch teams in the premiership and in uefa champions league and see the ex saints players all over the place it breaks my lil heart, however it is what it is. We just cannot afford to pay players the wages being asked by the top top guys. Given that Southampton is not a 'wealth' centre this is going to be the case. Same as Burnley, Huddersfield town, Brighton, Cardiff, Bournemouth and a few others. A city like London has 7 or 8 teams in the premiership, and they all spend lots more money. Liverpoor's teams and manchersters teams with the london sides are the big money spenders and the league table refelcts this with the possible exception of Bornemouth.

At least you're not owned by Mike Ashley.

I don't think Liverpool or Spurs will sack Klopp or Poch if they miss out of top 4. Who would they replace them with? They are the best fit for their respective clubs.

I think they have enough credit in the bank to miss out once, twice I think they will be gone. Memories are short in football