Football

IceCreamMan

2 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Maybe AI could play a role. And it would be instant. 

You genius you.... 😂😂

AI is wholly underrated. I rely on it myself... just trying to get it to sort out my betting 😂😂

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, RoddieJ said:

You genius you.... 😂😂

AI is wholly underrated. I rely on it myself... just trying to get it to sort out my betting 😂😂

Good thinking. But guess the bookies will be using it too. 

Ange Postecoglou has done it again!

He wins October Manager of the Month. He becomes one of only four managers in Premier League history to win three or more monthly awards on the trot, alongside Pep (4), Conte and Klopp.

Congratulations to Ange and his coaching team.

Of course Chelsea have now made sure he doesn't equal Pep's record lol...

COYS

FYI

Mark Ogden, Senior Writer, ESPN FCNov 10, 2023, 04:00 AM ET

It's the oldest tactic in a Premier League manager's playbook, although not one they have ever been taught on those much-vaunted coaching courses that enable them to take a job in the first place: When it all goes wrong, just blame the referee.

Sir Alex Ferguson did it -- the former Manchester United manager probably set a record for outbursts at the officials -- and Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger, Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola have also taken referee criticism to such an extent that they have been sanctioned by the game's authorities with bans or fines and warned not to do it again.

The punishment often comes with an apology and admission that they overstepped the mark and will behave better next time. But there is always a next time, and the referees continue to be subjected to all levels of condemnation and fury from the boss on the touchline. And it isn't just men; Emma Hayes -- who, sources told ESPN, is set to be appointed as the next coach of the United States women's national team -- is no stranger to lambasting officials during her time as Chelsea manager.

Manchester United's Erik ten Hag and Arsenal's Mikel Arteta are the now continuing the tradition set by their predecessors. Ten Hag hit out at three key decisions that cost his team in Wednesday's 4-3 defeat at FC Copenhagen in the Champions League, describing one of them as "embarrassing," but not once did the former Ajax coach mention the many mistakes of his players or even his own in terms of selection and tactics.

Manchester United's Erik ten Hag and Arsenal's Mikel Arteta are the now continuing the tradition set by their predecessors. Ten Hag hit out at three key decisions that cost his team in Wednesday's 4-3 defeat at FC Copenhagen in the Champions League, describing one of them as "embarrassing," but not once did the former Ajax coach mention the many mistakes of his players or even his own in terms of selection and tactics.

As for Arteta, barely a week goes by without the Gunners coach pointing the finger squarely at the officials -- on the field or at VAR HQ in Stockley Park -- for contributing directly to Arsenal dropping points. Arteta said it was an "absolute disgrace" that Anthony Gordon's goal for Newcastle United in Saturday's 1-0 win at St James' Park was allowed to stand after three separate VAR checks. Yet, when pushed, he was unable to say which of the apparent infringements -- ball out of play, offside and a push on defender Gabriel -- were incorrectly dismissed by the officials. The Premier League's Independent Key Match Incidents Panel has since ruled the referee and the VAR were correct to award the goal.

It is too easy to say that managers are just looking for a deflection tactic when they turn on officials. More often than not, that is crediting them with too much strategic thinking when the reality is that they are simply being petulant because of a decision they don't like. In a profession where they are accustomed to their demands being met at a click of their fingers, they cannot accept the possibility that some things don't go their way. That Arteta doubled down on his post-Newcastle comments earlier this week, by saying he has a "duty to defend my club" only served to highlight the increasingly narrow view that managers have when it comes to their role and responsibilities.

Which is why Ange Postecoglou's mature and reasoned response to Tottenham Hotspur's chaotic 4-1 defeat against Chelsea on Monday was so jarring, but in a positive sense. Spurs suffered their first league defeat of the season in a game that saw them reduced to nine players following red cards for Cristian Romero and Destiny Udogie. There were also five goals disallowed, only one by the VAR but all required lengthy checks.

Tottenham's defeat ticked every box in terms of giving a manager a burning sense of injustice (even though both red-card decisions were correct.) But anyone waiting for Postecoglou to explode and eclipse Arteta's recent rant were left disappointed, surprised or elated, depending on your point of view.

"Premier League managers should just manage their football clubs," Postecoglou said. "I've never have and I never will talk to a referee about the rules of the game. I was taught that you grow up and you respect the officials.

"I think it is so hard for referees to officiate these days. Their authority is just constantly getting diminished. I grew up afraid of referees. They would be like policemen. Nowadays I guess we talk back to policemen as well. I'm old-school. I'm from a bygone era. I just love the purity of the game."

Postecoglou also said he believed he was "in the wilderness" with his views and that managers, himself included, will always "try to bend the rules" in their favour.

The former Celtic manager's comments were a refreshing change to the angry statements of his rivals this season -- and they have become so angry that they risk fuelling hostility among supporters, with potentially dangerous consequences.

While Postecoglou has earned widespread praise for his refusal to condemn officials, there has been a distinct absence of vocal support from his managerial colleagues. Maybe they aren't as rounded or logical as the Spurs boss and, in their eyes, perhaps view the Australian as taking a contrary position to play to the gallery. 

But if they all took a leaf from Postecoglou's book and dialled down the victimisation of officials attempting to do an increasingly difficult job, the game would be in a better place.

Edit: maybe I was a little over exuberant with pasting duplicate texts.

Edited by RoddieJ

Nota clever game plan by the wanna-be title contenders. Lead the game for 87 minutes, and then drop the ball...!!

Not once mind you.... 

Maybe this is the pressure they were speaking of.... 

1 hour ago, RoddieJ said:

Nota clever game plan by the wanna-be title contenders. Lead the game for 87 minutes, and then drop the ball...!!

Not once mind you.... 

Maybe this is the pressure they were speaking of.... 

cost me money today. 😢here I was thinking quids in but alas. 

37 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

cost me money today. 😢here I was thinking quids in but alas. 

For whatever reason,  I didn't bet on this game today... Didn't stop me from willing them on though, lol

15 minutes ago, RoddieJ said:

For whatever reason,  I didn't bet on this game today... Didn't stop me from willing them on though, lol

Need the geordies to win to be up today. Last leg of one of my accas

25 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

25 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

🫰🏽

1 hour ago, RoddieJ said:

🫰🏽

Not to be. been taken to the cleaners by mr hill today. 😢

thansk to spurs and Newcastle. Both were favourites. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

40 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Not to be. been taken to the cleaners by mr hill today. 😢

thansk to spurs and Newcastle. Both were favourites. 

Hard luck Bud

I got saved by having a 1-0 for ManU, lol... 

On 11/10/2023 at 4:41 PM, RoddieJ said:

FYI

Mark Ogden, Senior Writer, ESPN FCNov 10, 2023, 04:00 AM ET

It's the oldest tactic in a Premier League manager's playbook, although not one they have ever been taught on those much-vaunted coaching courses that enable them to take a job in the first place: When it all goes wrong, just blame the referee.

Sir Alex Ferguson did it -- the former Manchester United manager probably set a record for outbursts at the officials -- and Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger, Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola have also taken referee criticism to such an extent that they have been sanctioned by the game's authorities with bans or fines and warned not to do it again.

The punishment often comes with an apology and admission that they overstepped the mark and will behave better next time. But there is always a next time, and the referees continue to be subjected to all levels of condemnation and fury from the boss on the touchline. And it isn't just men; Emma Hayes -- who, sources told ESPN, is set to be appointed as the next coach of the United States women's national team -- is no stranger to lambasting officials during her time as Chelsea manager.

As for Arteta, barely a week goes by without the Gunners coach pointing the finger squarely at the officials -- on the field or at VAR HQ in Stockley Park -- for contributing directly to Arsenal dropping points. Arteta said it was an "absolute disgrace" that Anthony Gordon's goal for Newcastle United in Saturday's 1-0 win at St James' Park was allowed to stand after three separate VAR checks. Yet, when pushed, he was unable to say which of the apparent infringements -- ball out of play, offside and a push on defender Gabriel -- were incorrectly dismissed by the officials. The Premier League's Independent Key Match Incidents Panel has since ruled the referee and the VAR were correct to award the goal.

It is too easy to say that managers are just looking for a deflection tactic when they turn on officials. More often than not, that is crediting them with too much strategic thinking when the reality is that they are simply being petulant because of a decision they don't like. In a profession where they are accustomed to their demands being met at a click of their fingers, they cannot accept the possibility that some things don't go their way. That Arteta doubled down on his post-Newcastle comments earlier this week, by saying he has a "duty to defend my club" only served to highlight the increasingly narrow view that managers have when it comes to their role and responsibilities.

Which is why Ange Postecoglou's mature and reasoned response to Tottenham Hotspur's chaotic 4-1 defeat against Chelsea on Monday was so jarring, but in a positive sense. Spurs suffered their first league defeat of the season in a game that saw them reduced to nine players following red cards for Cristian Romero and Destiny Udogie. There were also five goals disallowed, only one by the VAR but all required lengthy checks.

Tottenham's defeat ticked every box in terms of giving a manager a burning sense of injustice (even though both red-card decisions were correct.) But anyone waiting for Postecoglou to explode and eclipse Arteta's recent rant were left disappointed, surprised or elated, depending on your point of view.

"Premier League managers should just manage their football clubs," Postecoglou said. "I've never have and I never will talk to a referee about the rules of the game. I was taught that you grow up and you respect the officials.

"I think it is so hard for referees to officiate these days. Their authority is just constantly getting diminished. I grew up afraid of referees. They would be like policemen. Nowadays I guess we talk back to policemen as well. I'm old-school. I'm from a bygone era. I just love the purity of the game."

Postecoglou also said he believed he was "in the wilderness" with his views and that managers, himself included, will always "try to bend the rules" in their favour.

The former Celtic manager's comments were a refreshing change to the angry statements of his rivals this season -- and they have become so angry that they risk fuelling hostility among supporters, with potentially dangerous consequences.

While Postecoglou has earned widespread praise for his refusal to condemn officials, there has been a distinct absence of vocal support from his managerial colleagues. Maybe they aren't as rounded or logical as the Spurs boss and, in their eyes, perhaps view the Australian as taking a contrary position to play to the gallery. 

But if they all took a leaf from Postecoglou's book and dialled down the victimisation of officials attempting to do an increasingly difficult job, the game would be in a better place.

Edit: maybe I was a little over exuberant with pasting duplicate texts.

Why did Gabriel, a big, strong 6ft 3in centre back, not put his head on a ball, a yard off his goal line when it was there at a perfect height for him?  For one very obvious reason.  Because he was pushed.  It was as plain as the nose on your face and would have been pure common sense to anyone who’s actually played the game.”

"I have to say I had sympathy with Mikel Arteta over his reaction to a flagrantly poor refereeing decision last weekend.  I’ve been in his shoes.

"The conclusion that Anthony Gordon’s goal for Newcastle should stand was plainly wrong to anyone with an ounce of knowledge of the game. And of course, Arteta was having to come to terms with the fact that those officials were equipped with the most sophisticated video technology known to man.”

"You have to ask yourself how hard it must have been for him when he walked into his press conference, given that he had half an hour to calm down — yet still went for the officials and their decision-making in a big way. I can well imagine how he felt. I would have been boiling.”

"It’s all very well for people to say, ‘Arteta’s let his great club down because they have a reputation for class’ but I don’t see it like that. Yes, for me Arsenal have always been one of the classiest clubs. But I saw Arteta as a man whose frustrations were so enormous that he just couldn’t deal with it in the cold, calculated way that all the experts seem to think he should have done.”

"The question the refereeing establishment need to be asking themselves is: ‘How do we improve?’ They can go and have their seminars and their get-togethers every day of the week, but they’re still going to continue to make the same mistakes unless they involve people who intuitively understand the game. The ones who’ve actually played it." – Graeme Souness

At the least, Arteta’s action in calling on fellow league managers to “please let’s do something about it” has had a positive reaction.  The League Managers Association has scheduled meetings with PGMOL to effect urgent change.  I tried to see things from Mark Ogdens, and some others’, point of view but I was unable to lodge my head that far up my own @rse.

Arteta’s success in motivating action with his fellow managers to effect positive change for the good of all participants, now that’s true class.

Edited by justinafrika

1 hour ago, justinafrika said:

Why did Gabriel, a big, strong 6ft 3in centre back, not put his head on a ball, a yard off his goal line when it was there at a perfect height for him?  For one very obvious reason.  Because he was pushed.  It was as plain as the nose on your face and would have been pure common sense to anyone who’s actually played the game.”

"I have to say I had sympathy with Mikel Arteta over his reaction to a flagrantly poor refereeing decision last weekend.  I’ve been in his shoes.

"The conclusion that Anthony Gordon’s goal for Newcastle should stand was plainly wrong to anyone with an ounce of knowledge of the game. And of course, Arteta was having to come to terms with the fact that those officials were equipped with the most sophisticated video technology known to man.”

"You have to ask yourself how hard it must have been for him when he walked into his press conference, given that he had half an hour to calm down — yet still went for the officials and their decision-making in a big way. I can well imagine how he felt. I would have been boiling.”

"It’s all very well for people to say, ‘Arteta’s let his great club down because they have a reputation for class’ but I don’t see it like that. Yes, for me Arsenal have always been one of the classiest clubs. But I saw Arteta as a man whose frustrations were so enormous that he just couldn’t deal with it in the cold, calculated way that all the experts seem to think he should have done.”

"The question the refereeing establishment need to be asking themselves is: ‘How do we improve?’ They can go and have their seminars and their get-togethers every day of the week, but they’re still going to continue to make the same mistakes unless they involve people who intuitively understand the game. The ones who’ve actually played it." – Graeme Souness

At the least, Arteta’s action in calling on fellow league managers to “please let’s do something about it” has had a positive reaction.  The league Managers Association has scheduled meetings with PGMOL to effect urgent change.  I tried to see things from Mark Ogdens, and some others’, point of view but I was unable to lodge my head that far up my own @rse.

Arteta’s success in motivating action with his fellow managers to effect positive change for the good of all participants, now that’s true class.

"It was plain as the nose on your face...."

Brilliant! I loved it when I first read it... and now I'm hosing myself all over again... 😅🤣😅🤣