Football

IceCreamMan

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Democratising data - how Fifa primed World Cup underdogs to shock https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67749259

interesting read. 

Brilliant article 👍🏽

Meanwhile, South Africa' Bafana Bafana doesn't get recognition for their invention of performance analysis using a candle and abacus since time immemorial....

FIFA has always been biased and patronising!!

🤣🤣🤣

My son-in-law and his partners have supplied the techwear and analysis software to the Springboks and All Blacks and quite a few franchise teams for (I guess) about a half dozen years.    I’m told that some European ski resorts have started using their tech.  Very seldom see them and I know next to nothing about the tech so that was an interesting read, thank you.

49 minutes ago, RoddieJ said:

Brilliant article 👍🏽

Meanwhile, South Africa' Bafana Bafana doesn't get recognition for their invention of performance analysis using a candle and abacus since time immemorial....

We are so k@k that I’ve given up on watching footie here.  “We just can’t so let’s just cancel it.” 😛

47 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

My son-in-law and his partners have supplied the techwear and analysis software to the Springboks and All Blacks and quite a few franchise teams for (I guess) about a half dozen years.    I’m told that some European ski resorts have started using their tech.  Very seldom see them and I know next to nothing about the tech so that was an interesting read, thank you.

Awesome 👌 

This kind of tech is what I used to be involved with for a very long time, albeit in very different environment. Of course these days the use-cases are just mind-boggling.

This all began taking traction with tracking of moving objects. Then it escalated when more and more questions were being asked, particularly around behaviour. I always saw it on an exponential growth trajectory because of the potential use-cases opportunities outside of my field.

Broadly, we used similar (archaic now) tech to track monitor and analyse operations on airfields. The company - an SOE - was given international recognition for being the 1st in the world to comply with and manage airfields in this manner. But the fools, were totally against us selling this tech to the rest of the world. Oh, how times have changed....

I bet if you spent some time listening to your son-in-law, you will have a whole new perspective on how much the world has progressed over the past 20 years.... it scares me... (positively).

My lad is a basketball nut, he absolutely loves the game. Result is that we have now started going to pro British league games, there is a local team called the Surrey scorchers. 10 team pro league top division. However, I digress. 

one thing I have noticed in sport that I am interested in is the ability to predict the next second or 2 in the game. And this is what sets the top players apart. That 6th sense to predict where the ball is going to go and where it’s going to bounce and positioning oneself in that space. Using extensive data in football would give one an insight into this, how yr opponent generally plays etc etc etc. it’s how keepers choose to go left or right these days I spose. 

data fascinates me, I work for an organisation that is currently doing the largest medical research project ever undertaken on planet earth. The results of this will have bearing on the future. It’s incredible. Data is the new drug. 

just look at the adverts on the sidelines or on yr social media feed. 

Traditionally, the predictability comes hours and hours of practice!

Nowadays, the software gurus use probability.  Essentially, it reduces the opponents option to the highest probability, and link that to the opposing player's data profile. Remember, EA Sports started collecting top players' data profiles to use in their FIFA games to replicate the realism of the player's behaviour in the match. This was the beginning of the every-single player profile datasets. Same thing F1 and MotoGP do when collecting data on their car or bike characteristics....

Nowadays, analysts will take their own players' profile and run a series of in-game situations against the opposition. The results will rank highest to lowest in probability of play options. And this is what is coached into their teams.... Its seriously interesting (gives me goosebumps)

And this is why naturally-talented players young players are the diamonds in the rough.

While we have some reading time...

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/39159778/eu-top-court-rules-uefa-fifa-block-super-league?appsrc=sc

I smell multiple appeals and rule changes by FIFA before any of this becomes a reality. Although, it must be noted that we have recently witnessed the launch of the LIV Golf Championships, backed by the abundance of PIF money in the Emirates....

Getting out the popcorn... 🍿 

39 minutes ago, RoddieJ said:

While we have some reading time...

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/39159778/eu-top-court-rules-uefa-fifa-block-super-league?appsrc=sc

I smell multiple appeals and rule changes by FIFA before any of this becomes a reality. Although, it must be noted that we have recently witnessed the launch of the LIV Golf Championships, backed by the abundance of PIF money in the Emirates....

Getting out the popcorn... 🍿 

Damn, that’s interesting. I worked for the competition and market authority here in the UK and when this story broke there were a few guys saying this was anti competitive ( in their opinion)  but beyond the ambit of the CMA. 

In the long run it’s detrimental to football I reckon. It just becomes a huge money industry and takes football away from ordinary folks. Already has happened I spose. I lived here in the 80s and football was much more accessible to the ordinary folks than it is now. ( premiership football). Even for saints games on the odd occasion I can’t get tickets even though I been a member for decades. 

the big clubs , it’s impossible for me to get tickets for. ( Cept through scalps) creating a super league just going to make it worse, far worse.  TV rights will be insanely expensive and folks can’t afford the subscription fees. 

1 hour ago, IceCreamMan said:

More on this

European Super League: Revamped proposal launched for European competition https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67787981

Very interesting that this approach is targeting European Football Clubs, while FIFA are targeting a 32-team Global Club World Cup from 2025.

The race is on. I wonder how clubs will have to set up when playing in all of these additional matches, in light of their present complaints about players being overplayed with too little time for recovery. Bigger squads? I think not. Multiple teams? Hhmmm... 

Let's hear Nuno Espirito Santo, in his 1st interview yesterday, as Forest manager saying that his squad is too big.... Okay then.

2 hours ago, RoddieJ said:

Very interesting that this approach is targeting European Football Clubs, while FIFA are targeting a 32-team Global Club World Cup from 2025.

The race is on. I wonder how clubs will have to set up when playing in all of these additional matches, in light of their present complaints about players being overplayed with too little time for recovery. Bigger squads? I think not. Multiple teams? Hhmmm... 

Let's hear Nuno Espirito Santo, in his 1st interview yesterday, as Forest manager saying that his squad is too big.... Okay then.

Completely missed that sacking. Cooper done good work. Not sure this is an upgrade. 

20 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Completely missed that sacking. Cooper done good work. Not sure this is an upgrade. 

I can't say that I could see Cooper saving Forest this season. 1 win 13 and 2 in 28 is not exactly good record. Irrespective of what might have gone before.

In saying that, I'm also not entirely convinced by his replacement either.

Tottenham Hotspur have put out a Club Statement this evening, affirming their commitment to European Football and EUFA, in light of the court ruling today.

And Rishi Sunak has announced that he will ban English Clubs from joing the Eurpoean Super League.

Edited by RoddieJ

2 hours ago, RoddieJ said:

Tottenham Hotspur have put out a Club Statement this evening, affirming their commitment to European Football and EUFA, in light of the court ruling today.

And Rishi Sunak has announced that he will ban English Clubs from joing the Eurpoean Super League.

Dont think Rishi would be able to do that. That’s politicking speak. 

although I agree with the sentiment. 

guess football like all sports evolve over time. Ultimately the money hungry clubs will be lured into a super league at some point. Unless the current body revises the disbursement of funds. Problem is the top clubs subsidise football in the lower leagues to a certain extent. If the revenue stream dries up grass roots football dies. By creating a super league you remove that revenue stream as the money is only for the teams in the league.

most of the top clubs have large debts. They have become money hungry machines. Needs to be fed.  

Edited by IceCreamMan