Racing Ralph life span.

Johnny 55

I got good life out of mine - 4500km on the rear, front one is still on, went past 5000km recently. Mine also showed wet spots - I just ignored them. I rode over lots of rocks and roots, tyres held up well.

Have used both Maxxis and RRs and generally you will get more mileage out the Maxxis range tyres.

Me too.  I have not looked back since switching from Schwalbe to Maxxis - I used to ride a Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron combo.  The Schwalbes are a lot lighter than the Maxxis, but the performance and wear I get out of the Maxxis is much better for me, and I am not too bothered by the additional grams.  The additional strength of the Maxxis has given me a lot more forgiveness in those sideways out of control moments, compared to burping the living $hit out of the Schwalbes and coming pipe.  Also, the price of Schwalbes (the side wall protection version) is nuts

I've also noticed wet spots on my back RR. They tend to go away when I add new sealant, Ryder in my case. I'm on my second back tyre after 4.5 years but I rarely ride more than 30km on a weekend.

Ron or Ralph on front last whole season but at the rear only about 2000km, lot of patches usually...but the stans patches was visible on spez and maxxis tyres aswell. It just confirms there is sealand in the tyre, haha. Rather run fast track or ikon on the back for more miles and they are cheaper

There is some sweating on a lot of tyres. Have Seen Maxxis and Schwalbe do this but nothing sweats like a Conti - they should come with a ml/hour rating for the amount of sealant loss. Vittoria Barzo and Saguaro is still a great combo even if the Saguaro especially is a bit heavier than RaRa but the Barzo is grippier than RoRo.

There is some sweating on a lot of tyres. Have Seen Maxxis and Schwalbe do this but nothing sweats like a Conti - they should come with a ml/hour rating for the amount of sealant loss. Vittoria Barzo and Saguaro is still a great combo even if the Saguaro especially is a bit heavier than RaRa but the Barzo is grippier than RoRo.

The Vittoria combo of Barzo front and Mezcxal or Saguaro rear is very good but also doesn't wear well on mixed surfaces in my experience. Very similar life to the Schwalbe's (Rocket Ron Front Speed Addix Compound + Racing Ralph Speed Addix) . The Vittoria's do have more grip but also a bit more rolling resistance.

I tend to save the Schwalbe's or Vittoria's for events/races and use cheaper Chaoyang Zippering /Hornet combo or the superb Duro Cypher (Definitive Bikes Dominator) for training and weekend warrioring. These are a lot cheaper to wreck on mixed surfaces but still offer most of the performance benefit of the Schwalbe's or Vittoria tyres.

Have had a RR on my bike now for close on 4 years and still perfect. Would assume it depends on the conditions you ride in. I ride Giba in KZN which is smooth and manicured so not much to wear the tyre beside locking the brake from time to time.

• 3 years later...

Not sure when the newer model of the Racing Ralph was released but I recently bought a pair of RRs (speed addix or whatever soft compound they use for racing) and mine seems to wear very quickly thus far.

Think I'll go to Maxxis or Onza next round.