[Event] West Coast Express 2018

Pure Savage

Race Report

In a fit of enthusiasm and masochism I braved the cycle path and rode to the start from the southern suburbs. I grossly overestimated the amount of time this would take me and stood around in the arctic pre dawn shivering uncontrollably and wishing I'd paid the weight penalty for my lovely windproof.

Started in F for F@#$ing freezing and predictably got dropped on the hill up to Mamre - another droppee and I time trialed nicely to catch up with the chap towing his son. No satisfaction in that, actually felt a bit embarrassed overtaking them and even more so as they held our wheel into Atlantis where mercifully a large batch of all sorts caught us.

Hung on to this crowd to the finish - all shame banished as I drafted behind the guy pulling his son to stay in touch with the group on the little rollers before Melkbos.

In my world an average speed of 34.6 is creditable even if I got dropped on the only hill on the route.

Cycled back slowly because an Aussie told me it's good for building lactate threshold ...... I did wonder at what threshold I'd start lactating but reached home feeling smug about my 146k round trip.

Cyclo sportif 5 next weekend ... woohooo!!

love your race reports.  sorry for almost getting you dropped, was just lekker having a chat at the back of the bunch while the "washing machine" took a bit of a break before heading off the N7 to the fast finish.

i'm still contemplating CS #5 as the cold weather of Sunday left me reeling today.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks BillyG - was good to see you too - except every time we do a ride my Domane gets jealous of all the cool toys you've put on yours and I relapse into  gear acquisition syndrome!

It wasn't our mooch at up the N7 that nearly got me dropped - it was when you went off to the front at the bottom of the off-ramp and started stringing the washing out that made me nearly fall off the line!

Sportif #5 -- c'mon - you know you wanna ...

Thanks BillyG - was good to see you too - except every time we do a ride my Domane gets jealous of all the cool toys you've put on yours and I relapse into  gear acquisition syndrome!

It wasn't our mooch at up the N7 that nearly got me dropped - it was when you went off to the front at the bottom of the off-ramp and started stringing the washing out that made me nearly fall off the line!

Sportif #5 -- c'mon - you know you wanna ...

hah, you saw that  :whistling:   i just felt like the group was getting a little relaxed since we grew in size.

the guys in the front were almost free-wheeling and then they suddenly woke up when there was a little gap.

i'll decide on CS #5 after my ride tomorrow 

Well done :thumbup: ... Come on we want a full race report.

I don't do the essay thing .. 

but was something like :  Froze, hid behind people from cold, died up a hill, got frustrated with slow pace in middle, tried to make few pulls but dropped bunch each time , gave up, sucked some wheel. Died up another hill, got myself at front of bunch in last 1km , kept myself out of the bunch sprint and finished with good time  :thumbup:

Edited by Karman de Lange

I did the westcoast express last sunday however PPA did not update the seeding. Does anyone know if enter this race, will i start in the same group as WCE or will they use the updated one if my time was better with WCE.

I did try to contact them

Edited by #Arrie

I did the westcoast express last sunday however PPA did not update the seeding. Does anyone know if enter this race, will i start in the same group as WCE or will they use the updated one if my time was better with WCE.

Seeding is only done once a month. Unless you go to them and pay and get a new number

Seeding just came out, its normally released a few days after the event .. Next PPA event you get your latest seeding as per PPA site

WCE:

Beta of 0.62  .. and I still improved my seeding index by 1.5 from CTCT time, same group still though (Just) … next time go for the sprint finish

Interesting .. winner time not adjusted much, 01:55:26 .. only 2 minutes

Edited by Karman de Lange

Seeding is only done once a month. Unless you go to them and pay and get a new number

Apparently that was the old way, since i started (a year ago) seeding was updated every Wednesday

Seeding just came out, its normally released a few days after the event .. Next PPA event you get your latest seeding as per PPA site

WCE:

Beta of

0.62 .. and I still improved my seeding index by 1.5 from CTCT time, same group still though (Just) … next time go for the sprint finish

Interesting .. winner time not adjusted much,

01:55:26 .. only 2 minutes

Thanks Karman, moved 2 places up????

Beta is super low though conpared to last year it was 0.87, maybe thats why they didnt adjust winners time by much

Edited by #Arrie

WCE:

Beta of 0.62  .. and I still improved my seeding index by 1.5 from CTCT time, same group still though (Just) … next time go for the sprint finish

Interesting .. winner time not adjusted much, 01:55:26 .. only 2 minutes

We were flying ;P

Does he live in Blouberg / Tableview side? Since I moved there, after commuting all week I can't face 40km (20km each way) of boring, flat, windy cycle track before getting to any kind climbing / fun /scenic riding. Mojo at an all time low. Driving somewhere to go ride doesn't seem right either!

Edited by devocean

Apparently that was the old way, since i started (a year ago) seeding was updated every Wednesday

Not always if there's no event the coming weekend, but if a race is to be done with Racetec chips the upcoming weekend it will always be rerun by Tuesday/Wednesday.

We need those new seedings for CS#5!

Does he live in Blouberg / Tableview side? Since I moved there, after commuting all week I can't face 40km (20km each way) of boring, flat, windy cycle track before getting to any kind climbing / fun /scenic riding. Mojo at an all time low.

Nope...