[Event] Rand Water Race for Victory 2018

mecheng89

They cut us off at Suikerbos. There was a breakaway about 5 mins up the road and a chasing group that was at 3mins and a bit. As an elite who pays his own way I find it really disappointing that they cut us out of racing. I understand it from a safety perspective but if they can't have the whole elite field racing because of the Suikerbos section then I think they should find an alternative. Because I reckon that even with 40km to go that those of us in the main field could of caught it. We were actually catching them. It was 7 or 8 mins to the breakaway and 5mins to the chasers and we got that down to 6mins and 3mins by the time we hit the turn off. So if the racing had of continued I reckon we would of had them.

I think that the organizers should find a different route if they want to do 150km so that all the elites can race. Other than that the race was well organized the marshals were on point. The route was good. But I feel that if the elites aren't allowed to race because a breakaway gets ahead a bit then they should find a new route, because a breakaway is part of racing. So whats the point of racing if the break gets away a bit and you know you will be cut off, It doesn't promote good racing in my opinion,

Explain?

Did they not let you into the reserve because the "non-one-way" stretch down the scorpion hill where you may have encountered the leaders, or what ?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Explain?

Did they not let you into the reserve because the "non-one-way" stretch down the scorpion hill where you may have encountered the leaders, or what ?

I'm guessing that is what it is. But yeah. But it detracts from the racing heavily in my opinion as an elite rider because it isn't the race for victory 150km it's the race to suikerbos. And the race is decided 60km or there abouts through the race which isn't halfway which you know isn't the point of riding (or in my case entering and not getting to ride) a 150km race.

Started in CL with my bro.

Not a lot of guys wanting to help ( one guy with a SANI2c gilet did some loooong efforts in front).

Only a group of 15 left when we got to the top of Walkerville. By the time we got back to the Circus the group was down to 7.

Started to pick up smaller groups from BL through Henley and just before the turn to the aerials the group split again and I was in the wrong place. Tried to get back to the group of 6 but couldn't get there.

Solo effort from there (wind from behind was beautiful) and then from just before Suikerbos I was in small group of 3 guys pretty much all the way home.

Very well organised as always with no issues. Will definitely be back next year!

Looking forward now to Carnival!

Nice easy start in AL felt good but at 52km had to stop to fix a loose rear wheel then again at 58km. Tried to catch the group again but burnt to many matches and could join the BL group.

Was a lonely ride and long with that wind.

Red Kraft with SkiHost kit

Had a lekker ride in BL, except for the crash that resulted in a bent derailleur hanger bracket - I guess that’s what a hanger bracket is for... to tale the fall for other components. Luckily it happened at the start of the Walkerville hill, so I had time to get back to the group without burning too many matches - and luckily no other damage (bike and body). Only had 8/10 gears before the derailleur hit the spokes - but being a flat race, I didn’t need the 21 and 23 sprockets.

Hope the rider I rode over, before falling, is okay. Looked like a touch of wheels (half wheeling) that caused the crash.

Our red train plan worked to perfection, with an attack at the left turn after aerials. 1st and 3rd place, plus a few in the chasing bunch. I see AL had a similar time and attack at the same place. Hopefully all our members will be seeded AL soon, and we can all race in AL.

I attacked at the right turn just before the 10Km to go point and got a good gap, but turning left into the head wind to the finish was like hitting the wall (bonk). Sat up with about 2Km to go, knowing they would catch me before the 1km, and hoping I had something left for the sprint for 5th. It didn’t work out and had to be content with last place in the bunch.

I'm guessing that is what it is. But yeah. But it detracts from the racing heavily in my opinion as an elite rider because it isn't the race for victory 150km it's the race to suikerbos. And the race is decided 60km or there abouts through the race which isn't halfway which you know isn't the point of riding (or in my case entering and not getting to ride) a 150km race.

Yeah it's always been an issue with this race. Guess it also forces the main group to at least try chase but if you only a handful of guys who want to try chase and the rest either don't know about the cut-off or just don't care, then it's race over. Apparently the leaders hit suikerbos with an 8 min gap on the bunch with a few chasers about 3 min back.

It's not fair imho as the guys who are up front are pro's and the guys in the main bunch have day jobs but are still good enough to race elite but you can never expect them to stay with a pro in those conditions. I would also be a bit upset if I was in your shoes.

Frosty how did the times compare with 2017?

I must say I prefer the wind from the South.

Would you guys have had the same tactics if it was the N wind?

Had a lekker ride in BL, except for the crash that resulted in a bent derailleur hanger bracket - I guess that’s what a hanger bracket is for... to tale the fall for other components. Luckily it happened at the start of the Walkerville hill, so I had time to get back to the group without burning too many matches - and luckily no other damage (bike and body). Only had 8/10 gears before the derailleur hit the spokes - but being a flat race, I didn’t need the 21 and 23 sprockets.

Hope the rider I rode over, before falling, is okay. Looked like a touch of wheels (half wheeling) that caused the crash.

Our red train plan worked to perfection, with an attack at the left turn after aerials. 1st and 3rd place, plus a few in the chasing bunch. I see AL had a similar time and attack at the same place. Hopefully all our members will be seeded AL soon, and we can all race in AL.

I attacked at the right turn just before the 10Km to go point and got a good gap, but turning left into the head wind to the finish was like hitting the wall (bonk). Sat up with about 2Km to go, knowing they would catch me before the 1km, and hoping I had something left for the sprint for 5th. It didn’t work out and had to be content with last place in the bunch.

Your crash happened a few bikes in front of me, I managed to go around to the right however. I got dropped after that left turn when the bunch was blown to pieces in the crosswind/echelons/gutters. Brutal conditions yesterday. Well done on a decent ride! 

PS: I hope you guys move up to AL so that BL becomes more palatable again  :whistling:

Your crash happened a few bikes in front of me, I managed to go around to the right however. I got dropped after that left turn when the bunch was blown to pieces in the crosswind/echelons/gutters. Brutal conditions yesterday. Well done on a decent ride! 

PS: I hope you guys move up to AL so that BL becomes more palatable again  :whistling:

What kit were you in...they also went down just in front of me. I was in Sani gilet with a white/red scott helmet

Edited by BigToe

Had a hard fall so feeling a bit battered and bruised but hey that's how it goes ....

sorry to have seen your big crash on fb yesterday. That also after we spoke still yesterday morning

shoo what a hard race. Nothing arrived on the day and the 1st stretch down lido we where at 50 ave. Just not my day in the freezing weather but still had a good training ride at the end

I were with you guys in BL, in the URcycling kit, thanks for the effort, lekker race

Echoing what Frosty said. I think I may have been the instigator of said crash, but I have apologized to the parties involved.

Pace heading out was great, turned up Walkerville hill at a not-unreasonable pace and the gent with the red Fuji broke away and I decided to chase him down, in the hopes the bunch would follow but they never did. We crested the hill and I was on my own down the hill for about 2 minutes before the bunch caught. Erroneously did more work out front. 

Turned down towards the school and the downhill really took it out of me (maybe a 53/39 for the next race...). Effectively from there I was holding on until we crept over Aerials and I could feel my legs were in disagreement with the pace of the bunch. Somehow managed to catch up again, and when Frosty broke away with 10k to go,  my legs said "tot hier en nie verder". Crept home, not very fazed about where I ended up.

Lessons learnt, mistakes made, I just seem to keep making the same ones! 

See y'all at Amashova!

I were with you guys in BL, in the URcycling kit, thanks for the effort, lekker race

Ah yes, I remember the URcycling kit...you were toying with us I think. First you were there then you were gone then you were back...then gone! :-)