What bike do you ride? And how far? Commuting

Trying2Tri

Hi all

Wanted to see what commuters out there ride and how far on average a day. Comment what type of bike you ride and how far on average a day.

I’ll put it into a table and maybe it will get more people out there commuting.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure we discussed it before but can't find the thread now.

I commute minimum 35km one way so that adds up to 70 per day but nowadays normally end up adding a 2-5km detour in the route as well.  In good weather ( or should I say when good weather is expected) I commute with the road bike and when rain would be predicted then I take the MTB with the disk brakes and mud guards.

I commute every day on my MTB - 1.4km each way with 44m elevation gain on the way home.

Hardcore :P

That up and down your driveway  :w00t:  :w00t: ?

I commute on my road bike only if the weather is okay. I am not too concerned with wet roads but will skip if I have the option. This is where I would like to buy a gravel bike.

From my home to work is 7km. I actually prefer the short distance to work because I ride in my work clothes.

After work, I get into my cycling clothes and take a 25km detour back home (to get in my training for the day).

On Fridays, I try to do a 40km detour due to the fact that I can leave early.

So a good week for me will be 177km of commuting (excluding my weekly Wednesday coffee ride of 65km before work).

But I must be honest, sometimes I just feel tired after work and take the short route back home of 13km.

I travel 25km one way. Use the hardtail mtb unless it in for service or upgrades then it is the road bike. I do on average 210km commuting. Rain or shine. :) 

I am waiting for Hairys stats!!

I commute roughly 21.73km one way, so a rough 43.46km round trip.

Bike = GT Meatball SS roadie bike on 53x18t gearing

24.5km x 2 (49km round trip)

2011 Ridgeback Flight, hacked, modified and converted to a cyclocross bike. (SP 8x dynamo 15mm front hub with Exposure Revo lights ???? - lights always on)

4,8km from my home to work.  Straight route in the morning, like to add a bit of detour in the afternoon.

Typically 2 return trips per week, ie about 20km per week.  Nothing in terms of an athlete, VERY good for an aging office jockey ...  Last couple of weeks I have not been able to commute.  Wanted to on Wednesday afternoon, then something else came up ...  When everything line up I commute home in the afternoon, and then back the next morning (with the car sleeping in the basement parking at work)  Some mornings I head out to sites straight from home, messing with my commute schedule ... hope to get back to my normal routine soon.

Merida XT Edition, 27,5''

I travel around 22km into work and around 26km home again.The difference is because the road I take into work is a LOT narrower on the side I would be on if i was to use it on the way home. Therefore I take a slight detour.I'm doing this twice a week.

At the moment I'm riding my classic LeJeune road bike.

I used to commute to work and back almost every day, depending on the weather - 16km there and 16km back, through the back roads, on my Raleigh Marathon 6.0. Started a different job, in the same area, and took my Titan carbon 29er for a spin to work and back. Unfortunately where I work, there's a possibility I would be bike jacked nowadays, so I ride on a Wattbike during the week :ph34r:

24.5km x 2 (49km round trip)

2011 Ridgeback Flight, hacked, modified and converted to a cyclocross bike. (SP 8x dynamo 15mm front hub with Exposure Revo lights - lights always on)

PITCHA's PLEASE!

Archived