My 1st 947

CoachShane

Good Morning All,

So i been cycling on and off for about a year now(soccer takes up most of my time). I have entered the 947 for the first time this year and really am stoked for it. My father in law convinced me to do(good cyclist). So as a "newbie" i wanted to know from you guys your do's and dont's for the race, basically any info on prepping for it, or things to take with me on the ride etc

PS, I am ridding it on a MTB, and i have done a 50KM road race this year which went pretty well considering i dont ride often(2hrs 7mins)

Thanks guys and have a super day! 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely do some hill training. It's a lot hillier than most of the road races in JHB. (Suikerbosrand is a good place for this training)

Take all the usual spares with you. And if you're on a MTB you might consider getting slicks (not necessary but they do make it a bit easier)

Don't start too hard, leave something in the tank for the end (although this may be less applicable with the new route).

Other than that, just enjoy the gees. It's a lekker, fun race.

You will have to get a few longer rides in, just to make sure you know what to expect on race day.  

Make sure you know what works for you in terms of nutrition and dont do anything new for race day. 

Enjoy the race and dont start too fast.

As above, few longer rides with hills.

During the 947 stay aware of what goes on around you (signals from other rides etc). Always think that there may be someone very close behind you, so no sudden stops or direction changes.

Pre race  - carbo load (some load with pasta, personally  I carbo load with rice, potatoes, sweet potato and butternut. I find it digests easier than flower based foods).

During, 2 water bottels, maybe some GU's. Study the route and actually pic the water point where you want to stop (if you are not racing for glory)

Sunscreen and enjoy!

Since you are riding a MTB and not particularly going to try win the world funride championship here is a few good tips:

An absolute must have: Coolerbag on the back with a couple of ice creams and cold cokes (read cold beers)

It is going to be hot by the time you start and you are going to cook for most of the day in the sun so you may as well enjoy it. (Plus when the crazies come past on lap 2 we'd appreciate sharing a cold beer with you - will offer a wheel to sit on in return)

Fit slicks - they make the roll so much easier.

Wear good shorts and shammy cream - your ass will thank you later.

Good luck and have LOTS of fun (read stop at every beer and tequila tent you can).

:thumbup:

AND PLEASE> pull to the side BEFORE you stop - for what ever reason it may be... Also look before you waddle across the road in need of nourishment from whichever watering hole.

Edited by s14phoenix

Lots of info above, i would also add riding bunches more often to get used to many, many other riders on race day.

Edited by scotty

Ride as much as you can to get some distance in the legs. 95km is not to be laughed at. Its far for the average joe and the reversed route will hurt. Make no mistake.

Suikerbosrand is an amazing place to ride and is a great workout. So if you can alternate between there and the Cradle you should be good. Aim to be able to ride 90km by early November and you'll be fine.

As said above, go out and enjoy it this year, then once you have gotten the feel of it you can decide on how to approach it for next year. If the bug bites you will feel the desire to do better next year and it soon becomes an annual event in your calendar.

There are loads of well stocked water points along the route so you will be fairly sorted for drinks and snacks, but keep your own bottles topped up and have something to eat in your pockets for in case, but this is something you will figure out as you put the effort in over the coming months. Carrying spares is always a good idea - tyre levers, tubes, pump. As long as you ensure your bike is in good nick before you start you should need much more than that.

Cramp and hydration will be your main challenges on the day. It can get very hot for those starting after 10.

Good Morning All,

So i been cycling on and off for about a year now(soccer takes up most of my time). I have entered the 947 for the first time this year and really am stoked for it. My father in law convinced me to do(good cyclist). So as a "newbie" i wanted to know from you guys your do's and dont's for the race, basically any info on prepping for it, or things to take with me on the ride etc

PS, I am ridding it on a MTB, and i have done a 50KM road race this year which went pretty well considering i dont ride often(2hrs 7mins)

Thanks guys and have a super day!

Learn how to draft and hold your line....

Edit: added draft

Edited by SwissVan

Since you are riding a MTB and not particularly going to try win the world funride championship here is a few good tips:

An absolute must have: Coolerbag on the back with a couple of ice creams and cold cokes (read cold beers)

It is going to be hot by the time you start and you are going to cook for most of the day in the sun so you may as well enjoy it. (Plus when the crazies come past on lap 2 we'd appreciate sharing a cold beer with you - will offer a wheel to sit on in return)

Fit slicks - they make the roll so much easier.

Wear good shorts and shammy cream - your ass will thank you later.

Good luck and have LOTS of fun (read stop at every beer and tequila tent you can).

:thumbup:

AND PLEASE> pull to the side BEFORE you stop - for what ever reason it may be... Also look before you waddle across the road in need of nourishment from whichever watering hole.

Isn't that in March in Cape Town?

Doing one or two races will be a good help and then a couple of spinnig classes will not be bad at all.  Unlike most other road races, the 94,7 is almost always only going up or down.  Very little flat level roads.  So spinning with interval training WILL help you and then get those LSD rides over weekends in (Long Slow Distance).