Has the MTB Stage Racing bubble finally burst?

Slowbee

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoewee, this is interesting.

MacDonalds syndrome of note.

But full kudos to S2C to recognise that entries are down and costs are up. A huge risk if you ask me. I would love to know what the T7C's look like. I mean if you only pay for 3 months and want to pull out can you ask for a refund? Should you stop the debit order because you got fired can they blacklist you ? Will they "sell" your slot. Are does your "poor partner take over. So many questions.

Alternatively, if you really really want to do this ride and cannot afford it this year. Rather put a debit order into your OWN savings account and then pay cash next year. Delayed gratification and all.

Maybe the other side of the coin is the land might not be there next year.

Am I entitled to a refund?
  • Refunds for the 2019 events will only be possible until the 27th January 2019. You will receive your entry fee minus 10% admin fee.
  • Any cancellations of teams after this date will require both riders of the existing team to be substituted out as we will not be able to get a completely new team to take your entry in the event at this late stage.
  • Under no circumstances will entry fees be carried over to the next year.
  • Please contact office@sani2.co.za to request a refund.

I have always found the popularity of stage racing in SA an oddity.

The prices are so high and the high disposable income group so small that the massive growth and popularity seemed at odds (or that is was destined for a sharp decline at some point).

I got on board, had a jol, rode a bunch of fun races and have a full memory bank but I reckon there is now better value to be had in other spheres...like a honeymoon :-)

We booked a proper "eat your heart out mofos" style 5 star african experience honeymoon for a fraction of the cost of a stage race.

you went to Spur?

• Under no circumstances will entry fees be carried over to the next year.

They can learn something from 3 Towers !

I would not support them.................

The prices are so high and the high disposable income group so small that the massive growth and popularity seemed at odds (or that is was destined for a sharp decline at some point).

I got on board, had a jol, rode a bunch of fun races and have a full memory bank but I reckon there is now better value to be had in other spheres...like a honeymoon :-)

We booked a proper "eat your heart out mofos" style 5 star african experience honeymoon for a fraction of the cost of a stage race.

Our little trip to Odense for Duathlon WC's was just over R35k.  That's 12 days in Denmark/Sweden, flights, car rental, and accommodation for 2 people. I don't count meals, because we would have had to eat in SA anyway but most of the places we stayed had kitchens so we did our own cooking. Solo entry for Jhb2c is R28500.  As much as I'd love to do Jhb2c one day, I reckon another trip overseas to do a race there is probably a better option.

Our little trip to Odense for Duathlon WC's was just over R35k.  That's 12 days in Denmark/Sweden, flights, car rental, and accommodation for 2 people. I don't count meals, because we would have had to eat in SA anyway but most of the places we stayed had kitchens so we did our own cooking. Solo entry for Jhb2c is R28500.  As much as I'd love to do Jhb2c one day, I reckon another trip overseas to do a race there is probably a better option.

Yup. Exactly this!

I can see how people would want to tick a box or two or three on the stage racing to do list but right now I reckon riding/racing a new country is a much better experience.

That's just insane. Would be very interested to find out what these events' net margin is.

Why would I spend $$$ for a dirt roadie ride on public roads that I can do for free on any other day or to wait in line to crawl down single track?

This 

This is the saddest post I have ever read.  Abandoning races and getting married. I am just sorry it could not have been caught sooner - what a loss.  Nevermind, you can just join the rest of us soulless creatures begging for the odd Saturday morning to dust off the neglected bikes relegated to the garage (having been kicked out of the house) gathering dust and slowly deflating tyres, reminiscing of the old days when you could ride BOTH days of a weekend.  Maybe one cycling purchase a year being sneaked through the "joint" credit card (you know, the one over which you have no say anymore).  But there will always be the honeymoon!

Archived