Has the MTB Stage Racing bubble finally burst?

Slowbee

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it... How many of his 'costs' are once-off costs that were paid off years ago or are fully sponsored... Costs linked to inflation are fuel and food, the latter I believe is sponsored... Tents and bridge, etc were paid off ages ago... I doubt he pays the casual labour 10% each year, maybe 5%... I'm not dissing the event or the organisers, but agree that ALL multi day stage race have lost the plot on pricing... Sadly they all compare themselves to, without doubt, the premier 2 events (Sani2C & W2W) and believe they can price accordingly...

Yep, again not to diss the event but I remember when I did that in 2014 I saw farmer Glen flying around in his helicopter to move around between the different races running simultaneously. My only thought then in the starting chute "This event is making way too much money...."

What I would say about stage races in general, a lot of them (definitely not all) launch with fairly cheap entry fees, then they either flop or they become successful and if it is the second scenario the pricing shoot up way faster than inflation. So what I try to do when I see a new event is enter the 2nd or 3rd iteration when the organisers sorted out most of the gremlins but the pricing is still reasonable. That is how I find the best value for money with stage races.

As for the Karoo to Coast, I have noticed that in earlier years, the race sold out rather quickly, but this year, although also sold out, it only happened fairly recently according the the FB pages baiting buyers with x amount of entries left etc. etc.

And to prove that point further, I stand corrected, but this time round I don't recall the usual Hub-bub (pun intended) looking for K2C entries.

I am also wondering if another one is on the cards for me (this being my 3rd).

Also, as for the CTCT 2019, at R540.00 for Saffa entry, R1000 for Intl, I am wondering if a ride around the peninsula is really worth all that dosh? I have decided to do it, but still, that price point stings somewhat.

Also, as for the CTCT 2019, at R540.00 for Saffa entry, R1000 for Intl, I am wondering if a ride around the peninsula is really worth all that dosh? I have decided to do it, but still, that price point stings somewhat.

Whether it is worth the money or not will always be a subjective argument and not the same for everyone

but..

Now literally the only road event in the peninsula and the only road event in the WC with full road closures - so you are always going to pay a premium for this compared to other events.

As for the Karoo to Coast, I have noticed that in earlier years, the race sold out rather quickly, but this year, although also sold out, it only happened fairly recently according the the FB pages baiting buyers with x amount of entries left etc. etc.

And to prove that point further, I stand corrected, but this time round I don't recall the usual Hub-bub (pun intended) looking for K2C entries.

I am also wondering if another one is on the cards for me (this being my 3rd).

R540 and some folk race this thing. As in its over in 3 hrs .... that is a R180 bucks an hr. More expensive that doing it on your IDT at home.

R540 and some folk race this thing. As in its over in 3 hrs .... that is a R180 bucks an hr. More expensive that doing it on your IDT at home.

That is why a lot of those 3hrs okes do it twice - but yes, some of those idiots then also race it the second time round  :unsure:

I doubt it... How many of his 'costs' are once-off costs that were paid off years ago or are fully sponsored... Costs linked to inflation are fuel and food, the latter I believe is sponsored... Tents and bridge, etc were paid off ages ago... I doubt he pays the casual labour 10% each year, maybe 5%... I'm not dissing the event or the organisers, but agree that ALL multi day stage race have lost the plot on pricing... Sadly they all compare themselves to, without doubt, the premier 2 events (Sani2C & W2W) and believe they can price accordingly...

Some pretty wild assumptions here about his costs. I have no idea about what it costs to organise a stage race, but I have some experience of running an organisation and I can assure you that increases in cost are not just linked to fuel and food. As a start I would point to labour, communications, vehicles, equipment repair, maintenance and replacement, running costs of properties, advertising etc etc.

It would be pretty interesting to look at the cost increase of a basic basket of groceries and compare it to Sani/ W2W over a similar period.

This immediate reaction that people are ripping us off because their prices go up always applies to everyone except ourselves, when we want an increase or to adjust prices in our own organisations. Then it is always justified.

You dont mind paying top dollar for the first one or two times you do an event. Third and forth you start to think about costs. Fifth and more, well it better be good. If you earn lots of dollars and money is not an issue, well good for you, you most likely earned it.

Having done a few it does start to become about value. R16k entry is, well R8k each. R8k for two nights is (let me get my cell phone calculator) R4000 a NIGHT! Ok so you cycling and all that jazz - my sompompie tells me that is R2666.66666666666 per day.

Excluding getting to the event and the 5 days I have to take off work and the bike spares and and and.

For ME, MYSELF and I. The value is not there. Does not mean it is not there for someone else, it is just not there for me.

Great post. Just like some okes see value in a 30k MTB and others see similar value in a 100k MTB. Neither is wrong, just making choices.

As the market matures and more and more of us with the ability to afford/find a way to pay for stage races, have had our fill and become more selective, then there will be a natural slowing of growth as the next generation fills the gap, but the market for stage races will never be brand new again and thus growing at the rate of a brand new market

I think there is slowly a market or an opportunity opening up for self guided or guided TOURS.

i.e not a race and timed and who is the fastest.  Just riding your bike in the country side with a backup car and a group like mined people taking picks and riding 4-5 hours a day to a lodge/hotel/campsite for a couple of days.

R1000 a night will get you good accommodation in the platteland and probably a plate of food as well.

Price is what you pay.

Value is what you get.

Up to individual to decide.

In the early days of stage racing  the price v value was worth it in all respects. 

Nowadays im just to jaded and gatvol of riding in a procession with 1000 other cyclists, would rather just do a tour with mates.

Did the 2014 version of "The X", organised by Ugene Nel. Check out Quantum Adventures.co.za 14 of us with backup vehicle in the Eastern Cape, 450 km in 5 days of district roads, jeep track and sheep track, exploring some amazing terrain. At R1600 a day all in, good value. And you could pay in more than 1 instalment.

Edited by buckstopper

Stage racing value for money: kaaaaaaak

Stage racing value for experience: awesome!

I've only ever done 1 MTB stage race, because it satisfied both of these criteria

R1800 per pair

3 stages

camping included

That is why a lot of those 3hrs okes do it twice - but yes, some of those idiots then also race it the second time round  :unsure:

Correct, but you also pay R540 for the second lap. At least you did two laps for all the traveling cost. Better value for money. I paid 50euro this year to cycle over 190km in the "CYCLO RONDE VAN VLAANDEREN" in Belgium. We pay too much in SA.

Correct, but you also pay R540 for the second lap. At least you did two laps for all the traveling cost. Better value for money. I paid 50euro this year to cycle over 190km in the "CYCLO RONDE VAN VLAANDEREN" in Belgium. We pay too much in SA.

Another topic often discussed here on the hub, personally I don't measure value by how many kilometers the organisers put in the route. More important for me is what I get to experience while riding those kilometers. Feel free to disagree.

If I can persuade my wife to agree to prioritise the bucks, I will happily pay an entry for berg and bush or s2C again next year, as well as flights to SA etc etc.

South Africans are incredibly blessed with the options that are available locally. What a privilege to be able to pick and choose.

I have always found the popularity of stage racing in SA an oddity.

The prices are so high and the high disposable income group so small that the massive growth and popularity seemed at odds (or that is was destined for a sharp decline at some point).

I got on board, had a jol, rode a bunch of fun races and have a full memory bank but I reckon there is now better value to be had in other spheres...like a honeymoon :-)

We booked a proper "eat your heart out mofos" style 5 star african experience honeymoon for a fraction of the cost of a stage race.

Ah Dear Sir

That was the deposit to get you into the door.

Then payments will increase slowly and compound 10 fold when you add the sound of "pitter patter of little feet".