Recovery drink

rogerdias

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oats is only Low GI if it is the Rolled oats or the oat bran variety of oats. The regular Jungle oats is intermediate at best.

It is however better than a slice of toast.

Jungle oats are also rolled oats... at least it says so on the box I bought a while ago.... I had to show my wife when she complained.....

Jungle oats are also rolled oats... at least it says so on the box I bought a while ago.... I had to show my wife when she complained.....

That's what I though as well, but I'm guessing someone on a plant-based diet will tell us otherwise. . .

Ive bought my selg BCAA with a tub of L-glutamine wich ill start taking it at night when i get home.also trying to eat sweet potatoes and peanuts during the day to try help

I have noticed no drop in performance since I stopped using supplements. My recovery is also still the same.

I am starting to see these things as snake oil, and pay little heed to the marketing blurb.

For Freedom Challenge this year I thought I'd be smart and do like Martin does and have a recovery drink when I got in at night - so I spent some money on the stuff without hype and full of science. I managed to force it down about 4 times in the first couple of days and then gave up and went for the vetkoek, jam and tea. 

Your words: no discernible drop in performance, snake oil and marketing blurb - those made me wish I saved my money and efforts.

Perhaps under lab conditions and correcting administered it may statistically and scientifically make a difference.

Best is koffie and rusks served out the back of a car or the lunchbox / flask combination - guaranteed to slow you down for 10 minutes - and make you look up, around and appreciate everything.  

Ive bought my selg BCAA with a tub of L-glutamine wich ill start taking it at night when i get home.also trying to eat sweet potatoes and peanuts during the day to try help

For me glutamine definitely helps, especially during extended training blocks. BCAA not so much, apart from making my skin feel like its on fire it didn't do much for recovery. Probably better as a pre race supplement.

For Freedom Challenge this year I thought I'd be smart and do like Martin does and have a recovery drink when I got in at night - so I spent some money on the stuff without hype and full of science. I managed to force it down about 4 times in the first couple of days and then gave up and went for the vetkoek, jam and tea. 

Your words: no discernible drop in performance, snake oil and marketing blurb - those made me wish I saved my money and efforts.

Perhaps under lab conditions and correcting administered it may statistically and scientifically make a difference.

Best is koffie and rusks served out the back of a car or the lunchbox / flask combination - guaranteed to slow you down for 10 minutes - and make you look up, around and appreciate everything.  

You know what I am mildy disappointed with is that the Futurelife Dual pouches can only be bought in ridiculous quantities, Basically is it a food security item, but for these events they are perfect, I managed to get hands on a few for EA last year and they were perfect.

It is a plastic sealed thing, with 2 separate pouches, water in one side, futurelife in the other. Super easy to carry and hardy, can just chuck it in a bag or pocket, designed to be distributed at rural schools or given as rations to guys going underground for a work day. Anyway you squeeze the water side and the seal between the 2 pouches breaks, shake it up, bite the corner of and drink it one time. 

I will take baby cereal, PVM Pap, futurelife or similar over a protein shake in an ultra ultra distance( 2nd of course to actual food)

Here is a demo of the twin pouches...

http://www.equaltrade4.co.za/index.php/why-twin-pouch

I love stopping at water tables, having a chat with the folk, thanking them for their efforts, and chowing boiled potatoes, jellie babies/wine gums and chocolate. I dont eat chocolate "recreationally" so it's a treat for me.

At Magalies monster this year, after the monster climb, the water table was at he best possible place, the view to the south east was spectacular, and If you just roll through, you miss taking in the view.

Cycling for me is not competitive anymore, it's about participation (no I dont care about the medal) and getting to places not normally experienced.

excuse my Friday afternoon ramblings, it's beer'o clock.

I love stopping at water tables, having a chat with the folk, thanking them for their efforts, and chowing boiled potatoes, jellie babies/wine gums and chocolate. I dont eat chocolate "recreationally" so it's a treat for me.

At Magalies monster this year, after the monster climb, the water table was at he best possible place, the view to the south east was spectacular, and If you just roll through, you miss taking in the view.

Cycling for me is not competitive anymore, it's about participation (no I dont care about the medal) and getting to places not normally experienced.

excuse my Friday afternoon ramblings, it's beer'o clock.

Cheers to that

501a2151bf76965b31dac35309926565.jpg

Archived