New bike or build frame up?

Joeldanleat

Hi guys,

Im looking into either build up a bike for xc or waiting for a deal to come along.

Does anyone have any past experience that they are willing to provide?

Joel 

I agree... Unless you already have components you want to transfer to a new bike, it will most likely cost you way more to build...

But then, some will say its better, ‘cause you get what you want...

I agree... Unless you already have components you want to transfer to a new bike, it will most likely cost you way more to build...

But then, some will say its better, ‘cause you get what you want...

What I was thinking is that I could migrate some of my components from my 26er to the build and then just buy the wheels, frame, fork etc.. 

Nothing better than building your own bike.

Searching shops, Bike Hub etc for parts, waiting for them to arrive and watching it all come together. It's the best

If you are migrating components from a 26er to a 29er then the option of build yourself is a good one.  Will also learn along the way which will be good for doing your own maintenance and replacing/upgrading components in future.

Building always better imo .There is inevitable something on a complete bike that you want to replace at some point .If you put the components on that you like ,they will probably be used again and not end up in the classifieds 

Hi guys,

Im looking into either build up a bike for xc or waiting for a deal to come along.

Does anyone have any past experience that they are willing to provide?

Joel 

From personal experience of having accidents from untightened parts, if buying second hand it needs to be rebuilt anyways to ascertain component conditions and ensure everything is fitted properly. If you can take your time and shop with deals, specials and good 2nd hand parts, building is better imo.

For me, build all the way...just always end up costing more. But way more fun to source all the components you want ad build your rig up yourself

I bought my first two bikes, I then ended up swopping the parts from the second bike onto the first and then it morphed over to ss and then back to gears etc etc - After this I've successfully built and stripped a couple new bikes.

It's like quite a few folks said before me: When you buy a bike off the shelf I can guarantee you that after the first couple of rides you will want to change some of the kit, you'll start looking at weight and performance of the parts and compare it to what you're used to from previous bikes you owned.

For arguments sake: If you currently have XT brakes on your bike it's pointless buying a bike off the shelf that has MT500 or whatever the crap is called that they put onto the R30k bikes  :whistling:.

Conclusion: If you like the thrill of the hunt and you have the time to constantly scour the interwebs then build all the way.

If you end up going the build route - try to get yourself the following parts new or as close to dammit:  

• Groupset
  • Tires
  • Cables (Actually a given)
  • Bearings - BB and Headset
  • Rotors (This is not a deal breaker - I've bought both versions)

Cheers

Archived