Oxidation of spoke nipples?

Cyclosport

Hi there,

Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this with their spoke nipples (as per attached pics)

oxidation? cure? and prevent

Kind regardspost-36930-0-40115000-1538402254_thumb.jpgpost-36930-0-75820800-1538402310_thumb.jpgpost-36930-0-05204800-1538402354_thumb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aluminium nipples are Satan's own invention.

Strip wheel, rebuild with brass. Job done.

Alum nipples are great if you like rebuilding your wheels every other year.....get brass and show corrosion your .... well, I am sure you know what rhymes with brass

Alum nipples are great if you like rebuilding your wheels every other year.....get brass and show corrosion your .... well, I am sure you know what rhymes with brass

..class?

Depends how much of a weight weenie you are :-

64 brass nipples = +- 64 grams

64 alloy nipples = +- 18 grams

Just had to get a factory wheel with alu nipples rebuild. Not worth it to have nice colourful nipples.

Dammit, that sounds weird.  :blush:

Depends how much of a weight weenie you are :-

64 brass nipples = +- 64 grams

64 alloy nipples = +- 18 grams

After your first crash the weight of your replacement titanium jaw and teeth will negate the weight saving

After your first crash the weight of your replacement titanium jaw and teeth will negate the weight saving

Crash caused by what, a spoke nipple oxidising? It's called maintenance. I have several sets of wheels that I built up whith alloy nipples and 3 - 4 years later no sign of oxidisation. A bit of oil also goes a long way.

Aluminium nipples are Satan's own invention.

Strip wheel, rebuild with brass. Job done.

Satan didn’t stop there though, continuous improvement kinda guy. He then got factory wheels to add a drop of loctite to the alloy nipple when building the wheels. Then when you try and true the wheel the friggin alloy nipple breaks and you have to remove the wheel tape too so you can replace it.

Satan didn’t stop there though, continuous improvement kinda guy. He then got factory wheels to add a drop of loctite to the alloy nipple when building the wheels. Then when you try and true the wheel the friggin alloy nipple breaks and you have to remove the wheel tape too so you can replace it.

Nipples brake and/or the spoke snaps under torsion

My wheel went from replacing 1 broken alu nipple to a full rebuild (spokes + brass nipples)

I can't believe I said nipples so many times!  :clap:

Crash caused by what, a spoke nipple oxidising? It's called maintenance. I have several sets of wheels that I built up whith alloy nipples and 3 - 4 years later no sign of oxidisation. A bit of oil also goes a long way.

This!

Have wheels with both for four years now and no oxidizing. And I stay in Durban.

Maintenance, maintenance.....cheaper than a rebuild.

Nipples brake and/or the spoke snaps under torsion

My wheel went from replacing 1 broken alu nipple to a full rebuild (spokes + brass nipples)

I can't believe I said nipples so many times!  :clap:

Yap, after breaking 5 nipples, I looked at the dings in my old rim ang gave Nick some business.

Btw Nick, the wheel has now had some proper riding and is still rolling awesome.

How much did the oil weigh?

Archived