Wanting to do Argus

Thetwakkie

I cycle road, try to do at least one stretch over 50km once a week, then 3 more 20 km plus per week, all on road.

That's more riding than I did in 2012 before Argus, but then I was weighing 68kg back then.

If you're not sure, maybe have a look at that link.

Also, how do you rate your fitness level? if you haven't started training yet, you have six months to train.

uhm, more like 5 and some change (2 days to be exact)

...best you get going sooner than you intended.

I cycle 65km at an average 23kmph on the mtb, so prob not that great...

bro if you have cycled 65km on a bike just once you have done more training for the CTCT than 40% of the people that ride it every year .

increase the distance every month -complete two 100 k practice rides well before the race day and you will be fine

just ride what you got you not going to be winning anything and tons of riders do the CTCT on mtbs

uhm, more like 5 and some change (2 days to be exact)

...best you get going sooner than you intended.

Well if you want to get technical.

Good morning all,

I'll be looking for some or a lot of advice....

I've been cycling a Titan Expert 27.5 MTB since Jan, I've done 2 MTB races but really prefer road cycling, thus I entered the Cape Town Cycle Tour.....

I would like some advice on what to look out for when purchasing a used road bike on a very limited budget...

^^This

Well if you want to get technical.

I have a very technically precise day job where differences like 28 days can make a huge difference to a budget...

also, I know what difference a months worth of less training means to a overweight slob such as myself at this moment.

bro if you have cycled 65km on a bike just once you have done more training for the CTCT than 40% of the people that ride it every year .

increase the distance every month -complete two 100 k practice rides well before the race day and you will be fine

just ride what you got you not going to be winning anything and tons of riders do the CTCT on mtbs

like me.

Still deciding if this year is the fully or the hardtail...and slicks? MTB don't come with those things.

like me.

Still deciding if this year is the fully or the hardtail...and slicks? MTB don't come with those things.

im sure you can calculate the costs of wear and tear incl suspension service periods and the cost of replacing tires with x resistance over using new slick tires with y resistance over a fixed distance factoring in the possible wind speeds and the ambient tempratures .............. :blink:

or you could just turn up and have a jol with all the other bike twits on the big day :clap:

ps. some training is a good idea :thumbup: but remember new bikes dont make you a better rider (or fitter or faster )

im sure you can calculate the costs of wear and tear incl suspension service periods and the cost of replacing tires with x resistance over using new slick tires with y resistance over a fixed distance factoring in the possible wind speeds and the ambient tempratures .............. :blink:

or you could just turn up and have a jol with all the other bike twits on the big day :clap:

ps. some training is a good idea :thumbup: but remember new bikes dont make you a better rider (or fitter or faster )

I soo wish I told myself that before this year's Karoo to Coast. It was my worst showing by quite some margin this time around. All due to "I know what to expect", "I am ready", "who needs training?"...

you wont be a good salesman ..... talking so much truth .... :eek:

You can get a brand new bike on a budget.

You can get a brand new Giant Contend or SCR for under 8k. My Fiance had an SCR and that thing rode the Stellies Tour, Up several Alps and did 1600m on Monte Grappa. Nothing wrong with those.

There are surely similar offerings from Merida.

Edited by Duane_Bosch