Hunting - yes or no?

leeubok

Right now it's one of my fav hobbies. I just bought new binoculars, want to give them a try this weekend.

Enjoy the game tracking

from the back of the bakkie

Edited by SwissVan

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If you hunt to harvest then yes!

Every hunter should buy a chest freezer before they buy a hunting tool!

Learn to skin before they learn to shoot. 

I had it easy in SA, I used a rifle 30-06 to down Kudu and springbok and paid the farmer workers make nice meat packs to take home. 

Now I use a traditional recurve bow and will have to field dress my own game all while not getting killed by a bear. 

My first Canadian hunt will be in spring this year. 

Edited by J∆kk∆ls

I had it easy in SA, I used a rifle 30-06 to down Kudu and springbok and paid the farmer workers make nice meat packs to take home.

Now I use a traditional recurve bow and will have to field dress my own game all while not getting killed by a bear.

That sounds awesome, have you heard the story about Steven rinella and remi Warren?

Probably not the thread to ask this on, but how does the bow hunting work for you?

Personally I used to not be a fan as morally I don't like the idea of waiting in a hide near feeding points as is often done.

But I've started watching meat eater on Netflix, and decided to start practicing again to go for a stalk and shoot hunt next year with the bow. Only thing that's getting to me is the practice time to get comfortable at 20-30m shots.

That sounds awesome, have you heard the story about Steven rinella and remi Warren?

Yes I follow them on YouTube though I am more a fan of Fred Bear! 

Probably not the thread to ask this on, but how does the bow hunting work for you?

Personally I used to not be a fan as morally I don't like the idea of waiting in a hide near feeding points as is often done.

But I've started watching meat eater on Netflix, and decided to start practicing again to go for a stalk and shoot hunt next year with the bow. Only thing that's getting to me is the practice time to get comfortable at 20-30m shots.

I am not a fan of hiding though I would only do this for Turkey. When it comes to deer I will be attempting the spot and stalk approach as I did when hunting Kudu. They am is to keep moving as it gets mother effing cold here and I don't want to sit all day in the snow waiting for game to come my way. 

I fly between 40 and 80 arrows daily at 15-20 yards for practice. Though I feel comfortable at 15 yards I would prefer 10 yards for a vitals shot. I will keep practicing and hunt for whitetail deer in the spring. Fred Bear who has hunted just about everything on four legs, claims whitetail deer are the hardest to kill with a bow, as they don't trust anything. So I will also be practicing my stalking skills with a friend. 

I am not a fan of hiding though I would only do this for Turkey. When it comes to deer I will be attempting the spot and stalk approach as I did when hunting Kudu. They am is to keep moving as it gets mother effing cold here and I don't want to sit all day in the snow waiting for game to come my way.

I fly between 40 and 80 arrows daily at 15-20 yards for practice. Though I feel comfortable at 15 yards I would prefer 10 yards for a vitals shot. I will keep practicing and hunt for whitetail deer in the spring. Fred Bear who has hunted just about everything on four legs, claims whitetail deer are the hardest to kill with a bow, as they don't trust anything. So I will also be practicing my stalking skills with a friend.

Dude. Sounds right up my alley, that type of hunt.

Thanks dude. I've got a compound with draw weight of 40 lbs that I've been using to get my form and strength right. And based on some advice from reddit been practicing at 25-30 yards. Will need to buy a heavier draw weight bow for hunting season next year(thinking about 70lbs to have a great all rounder) but it's great fun so far. Unfortunately I only get time for 2 sessions a week, been doing a lot less volume as well per session, only 50 arrows or so in total..

I see you hunt with a trad recurve as well?

My old man has one but I can barely draw it all the way :D

I've convinced my hunting buddy to get in on the bow action as well, so while we're on our trip in June we're going to also practice some stalking, tracking etc. Will be a rifle hunt, but good practice none the less.

Thanks dude. I've got a compound with draw weight of 40 lbs that I've been using to get my form and strength right. And based on some advice from reddit been practicing at 25-30 yards. Will need to buy a heavier draw weight bow for hunting season next year(thinking about 70lbs to have a great all rounder) but it's great fun so far. Unfortunately I only get time for 2 sessions a week, been doing a lot less volume as well per session, only 50 arrows or so in total..

I see you hunt with a trad recurve as well?

My old man has one but I can barely draw it all the way :D

I've convinced my hunting buddy to get in on the bow action as well, so while we're on our trip in June we're going to also practice some stalking, tracking etc. Will be a rifle hunt, but good practice none the less.

Yeah my Trad Recurve is 45# at 28" draw, though my draw is 31" so I am probably pulling between 50# and 55#. The bow was impossible to draw when I started last year so I practiced on a cheap 25# recurve. 

Now I draw that 45# like it's nobody's business. Form is everything and using back tension is key. I will switch to compound when I am too old to draw a recurve. But while I am young-ish and strong I wanted to take up the challenge. 

Enjoy your hunt in June, nothing wrong with using a rifle, it gets the job done!