[Event] Tshwane Classic

Forthelove

Ave Speeds on Racetec aren’t tooo far off. My Garmin showed an Ave of 44.5kph.

It also shows that we spent 5 minutes completely stopped by the race official during the race in total. So with the missed section you could in theory add on maybe 3 minutes to the times considering other grouped weren’t stopped.

Will be interesting to see how Racetec handles it.

Having not done it before, I was very confused when we got back to that start road and I was left wondering where the climb everyone talked about was. Everyone lit it up on that final stretch and I dropped off thinking damn we still have a climb and 5km to go ????????

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It also shows that we spent 5 minutes completely stopped by the race official during the race in total. So with the missed section you could in theory add on maybe 3 minutes to the times considering other grouped weren’t stopped.

What was the reason for the stoppages?

Just before that loooong downhill, when turning right into that road we were essentially on the wrong side of the road, on a blind rise, only for us and the race officials to realize it wasn’t full road closure.

They then stopped us after the downhill to let us know the situation etc.- it was then neutral to the top of the hill we were stopped on.

They then stopped us again on the Highway for quite a bit longer. Think because people were protesting about the situation. Some peeps then go into cars and then the rest of us went on.

I had a look at my sons Strava he was in the top 10.

Racetime 2:08

Two stops of 3:12 and 4min where his gps autopaused.

That gives a total time start to finish of around 2:15

The loop the elites missed incl TomJenkins was around 6kms and it took me 16 minutes. Them maybe 10 minutes?

That gives me a total of around 2:25

Remmeber elites were stopped for 2 reasons. One being that they are not racing they were cruising in protest. Hence the slow time.

Fastest non-elite time is Adolf Krige winnong VA in 2:18

So 2:25 looks to me realistic.

Seeding should be calculated accordingly.

Now who do we take this up with?

Sounds about right.............

VA did 'n blistering speed.  

Add the stoppages and you get around 2:20-2:25

Always fun scrolling through the results, you see some funny stuff.

George Alberts, doing a 2:09... from IL batch....60-69y old... his 947 time in 2017 was 6H17... sure buddy :ph34r: 

Think he also missed TJ...

post-27827-0-61173200-1572960406_thumb.png

Always fun scrolling through the results, you see some funny stuff.

George Alberts, doing a 2:09... from IL batch....60-69y old... his 947 time in 2017 was 6H17... sure buddy :ph34r: 

Think he also missed TJ...

a) you've got way to much time on your hands to sift through that. :)

b) I wonder if Racetec has some sort of an algorithm to pic up anomalies like this

a) you've got way to much time on your hands to sift through that. :)

b) I wonder if Racetec has some sort of an algorithm to pic up anomalies like this

a) Took me 20s to scroll down and see the IL group indicator on the first page, which raised an eyebrow, and then clicked on his name to see his 947 result. :devil:

b) Think neither Racetec nor us should really be bothered about these anomalies, he will rue the day he takes his subsequent AL seeding and rides with them....

The loop the elites missed incl TomJenkins was around 6kms and it took me 16 minutes. Them maybe 10 minutes?

Remmeber elites were stopped for 2 reasons. One being that they are not racing they were cruising in protest. Hence the slow time.

Perhaps a question/comment on their Twitter page for those who have Twitter:

https://twitter.com/RaceTecChip?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Eembeddedtimeline%7Ctwterm%5Eprofile%3ARaceTecChip&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.racetec.co.za%2Ffeatured%2F

I have emailed them to ask if they are aware of all the happenings...I wait with hopeful expectation!

a) Took me 20s to scroll down and see the IL group indicator on the first page, which raised an eyebrow, and then clicked on his name to see his 947 result. :devil:

b) Think neither Racetec nor us should really be bothered about these anomalies, he will rue the day he takes his subsequent AL seeding and rides with them....

and trust me its not easy riding in the AL bunch, people think its open cat its easy...no way josè.   got a lesson in bunch riding...

I think you’re miscalculating the times. The Racetec times are correct and haven’t been altered - it includes our stoppage time.

I finished 32 seconds behind the winner and my ‘moving time’ was only 2:02. My total time with all the stopping was about 2:08 on my garmin.

So our theoretical total time with TJ and the 5km we missed would only be about 2:18 (Same as VA roughly)  :)

Edited by Stupak

I rue the day I got my AL seeding too  :P

I can generally stick with them on flat races (that's how I got the AL seeding, wheelsucking like a champ) but Berge en Dale this year I got spat out the back on basically the first hill (like 5km in) and never saw them again and that's a recurring theme on anything that's even vaguely lumpy... I'm much happier starting in BL generally.

Second race in a row now where I look at the results and think something isn't right.

I had a friend come in after me on the Carnival City race and his time was quicker than mine; we started in the same group. Strava confirms the finish times as being incorrect.

Who know, I don't particularly care; not exactly doing this for the podiums.

I dont recall them slowing down one bit in protest.  In fact, some of the guys on the front were more pissed at being stopped a second time than wanting to protest.  (That was just my observation)

After the first stop, riders were chatting to the managers in the vehicles, obviously not happy.

The managers, started talking to CSA official over the radio and he called a stop... and said thats it!  Those that want to protest, get off the road and protest, it is what it is and there is nothing we can do about it now, those that want to race, let us get on with it!

The route balls-up in town was a bigger mess.

The race came in at speed, cops and Road Rangers jump ahead to the up and coming intersections to make sure traffic is stopped and to make sure the cops are "on duty".

We got to Steve Biko intersection, I believe, where we were supposed to go left, the cop pointed straight on and as soon as we were in the middle of that intersection, I noticed the green arrow that pointed straight ahead with a 50km mark... we missed it. 

The cops might have been expecting the elites much later and might have thought that these were the first riders of the short route coming thought :eek:  Anyway, it would not have been possible to turn left at that intersection, cause the coppers did not remove the barrier blocking the turn.   At some intersections they removed them as we approached, probably used to control traffic as long as possible. 

My current seeding as it stands.........12.9

Correct seeding should they add 8min.........7.4

Interesting.

Hey bud. Is the beta rating out yet?

I think you’re miscalculating the times. The Racetec times are correct and haven’t been altered - it includes our stoppage time.

I finished 32 seconds behind the winner and my ‘moving time’ was only 2:02. My total time with all the stopping was about 2:08 on my garmin.

So our theoretical total time with TJ and the 5km we missed would only be about 2:18 (Same as VA roughly)  :)

Always gonna be difficult taking an estimated guess on what would have been..

But take the stoppages into account and a closer guestimate would probably be 2:10ish for the full route

So their race time should be adjusted by 8min at least.

So they took shortcut and still got the win?

Back in my day, the guy that crossed the line first was the guy that did the full course.  Irrespective of circumstances...........

Hell, two years back the Comm took us the wrong route and promptly turned us around and marched us back to where it all went wrong.

I guy that got dropped 40km back took the correct turn and won the race.

This was at the Carnival City.

Its a tough one to navigate, your logic would then make me the winner had i kept riding and the KOM up Tom Jenkins... but personally I wouldnt accept the acknowledgment or the prizes as i know it wasnt genuine and no fault of the peleton either for being directed wrong.

I would like to know how this happened though because when i asked for directions at the split there was still barricades across the road that i had to navigate to get onto the longer route