High glucose, Low fructose gels and drinks

GaryvdM

Background:

I'm trying to train low carb high fat to improve my fat adaption, but I want use some carbs when doing the odd race.

However I've seen in a number of places the issue with fructose increasing you liver fat, as well as other literature that describes a targeted ketosis diet, that recommended using high glucose low fructose when doing your carb intake.

Question:
Where can one get gels and drinks that are high in glucose low in fructose. I'm looking for stuff with all the other important small things such as electrolytes, caffeine, creatine, bcaa. I've looked at a lot of stuff, but the problem is on the nutritional info, they usually just have the amount of sugar, and they don't give you a breakdown on the types of sugar.

Problem with glucose is high osmotic stress, which will make you need to drink more fluids.

Rather look at maltodextrin, like 32gi products.

Thanks.

Are 32gi products low in fructose?

Thanks.

Are 32gi products low in fructose?

Think so, but not sure. It's been a while since I bothered with any 'special' energy drinks.

Problem with glucose is high osmotic stress, which will make you need to drink more fluids.

Rather look at maltodextrin, like 32gi products.

Why not make your own and leave out the fructose?

Malto.

Salt

Water

Background:

I'm trying to train low carb high fat to improve my fat adaption, but I want use some carbs when doing the odd race.

However I've seen in a number of places the issue with fructose increasing you liver fat, as well as other literature that describes a targeted ketosis diet, that recommended using high glucose low fructose when doing your carb intake.

Question:

Where can one get gels and drinks that are high in glucose low in fructose. I'm looking for stuff with all the other important small things such as electrolytes, caffeine, creatine, bcaa. I've looked at a lot of stuff, but the problem is on the nutritional info, they usually just have the amount of sugar, and they don't give you a breakdown on the types of sugar.

If you are only using it during races, don't worry about the contribution to liver fat of fructose - rather worry about if your digestive tract can manage the transition from low carb to high carb without side effects that send you into the bushes....

And you will have to experiment with a few to see if you can tolerate the transition - some products work better than others - very individualized, so you will have to experiment.

Background:

Question:

I doubt you'll find anything that also incorporates Creatine and BCAAs.

Perhaps look at Pepo Pro Sport.

I agree with V12, you'll probably end up with a drink that combines various forms of sugar to allow optimal absorption without GI discomfort.

If you can, try and stay clear of High Fructose Corn Syrup (more so than Fructose itself).

Hey Gary!

Have a look at superstarch, available here as Ucan. $$$ but seems to make sense for fat-adapted athletes. Malto-dextrin doesn't have fructose. Nor does a beer though ;-)

Tim

b.t.w. Barry Murry is a good source of cycling nutrition knowledge. Previously worked with BMC pro cycling team and big proponent of lower carb diets

If you are only using it during races, don't worry about the contribution to liver fat of fructose - rather worry about if your digestive tract can manage the transition from low carb to high carb without side effects that send you into the bushes....

And you will have to experiment with a few to see if you can tolerate the transition - some products work better than others - very individualized, so you will have to experiment.

Yes to this, but IIRC, fructose is only metabolised in the liver, so it's going to work quite hard while you're working quite hard. Wouldn't glucose be a better option seeing as it gets metabolised throughout the body? asking for a friend...  :blink:

Hey Gary!

Have a look at superstarch, available here as Ucan. $$$ but seems to make sense for fat-adapted athletes. Malto-dextrin doesn't have fructose. Nor does a beer though ;-)

Tim

Prof Noakes mentioned this some time ago... looked into to it and had a cardiac event at the pricing...