CSA fining members for riding choc mtb

Furbz

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you saying that they need MORE than they currently have? 

Definately more that are willing to give time. Everyone is trying to keep their own lives/business going while doing what they can. 

We are almost at the next AGM, We are almost at the next AGM, it would be awesome if all positions can be filled with individuals that are willing to give ample time. I doubt that it is going to happen. Only 3 of our current Exco were voted in at the previous AGM. The rest were dragged in as soon as they showed the slightest bit of interest.

Definately more that are willing to give time. Everyone is trying to keep their own lives/business going while doing what they can. 

We are almost at the next AGM, We are almost at the next AGM, it would be awesome if all positions can be filled with individuals that are willing to give ample time. I doubt that it is going to happen. Only 3 of our current Exco were voted in at the previous AGM. The rest were dragged in as soon as they showed the slightest bit of interest.

This is not Exclusively a CGC problem, most regions have vacant positions and that has a huge effect on the amount of progress that can be made in a year.

To those who have been affected by the CSA sanctions imposed on by CSA, I would firstly like to thank you for supporting our event, and CHOC who received 100% of the funds raised by the event.

Secondly I would like to apologise to you that you are in this situation for simply enjoying a day out on your bike with us and supporting our chosen cause.

I do not wish to simply jump on the bandwagon here and abuse CSA, however as the family that started the event, I would like to clarify some points.

Very briefly, the event was started to remember my brother who passed away from Cancer and to donated the proceeds to the CHOC Cows.

For the first 5 years that we hosted the Believe MTB we duly paid CSA their funds to sanction our event. CSA however never once attended the event and supplied the commissaries (which you are then also charged for even though you have to have one and they say they supply them???)

Anyone who attended the start of year 2 in the thunderstorm, where we didn't know if we should actually proceed with the event can attest to the fact we were left without support for this crucial and many other crucial decisions.

After years of complaining that we were paying for a service that we didn't receive and simply charging riders more for their entry (day licences) and handing over less to our charity, CSA did arrive for year 6.

The commissaries (very nice gentleman and a lady) arrived in time for the start (definitely not 2 hours before as per their guidelines), smiled and that was about it.  no route check, inspections of dangerous area etc etc

I can 100% guarantee you if the CSA had done anything they would have noticed that we used to give free shooters on the water tables, some questions may have been asked and I doubt they would have sanctioned us...  Definitely sure it wouldnt have been covered under their insurance policy, which i never actually saw a copy of in all those years. (we took out our own additional event and medical insurance for riders)

I do agree with CSA that there is an easy loop hole for race organisers to hide behind the "we give to charity" sign and write a cheque.  However if they would like pictures of my 6 year old packing race packs and learning about giving back to those less fortunate or our "free family and friends labourforce" putting up the start line and manning registration as part of our efforts for CHOC, i can gladly show them.

End of the day I guess the decision came down to paying for a service you didn't receive.  Guess this is a huge problem in our country in general, and we decided against doing it again.

I again apologise to those riders who have had to bare the brunt of this, and only wish CSA had granted our request to have the sanction lifted.

Please note

Over the past 2 years the event has been hosted for us, as we moved to Nelspruit and cannot do it ourselves. The first of these years was still sanctioned by CSA.

This years event was sanctioned by the city of Johannesburg JOC, full medical facilities and race insurance was in place,and every safety precaution taken with the help of the venue.  

I truly hope CSA can turn themselves around and make a difference to the lives of us every day cyclists and weekend warriors. The guys and girls who I am sure make up the majoirty of the memberships they receive.

Hope to see you at the Believe MTB next year  

To those who have been affected by the CSA sanctions imposed on by CSA, I would firstly like to thank you for supporting our event, and CHOC who received 100% of the funds raised by the event.

Secondly I would like to apologise to you that you are in this situation for simply enjoying a day out on your bike with us and supporting our chosen cause.

I do not wish to simply jump on the bandwagon here and abuse CSA, however as the family that started the event, I would like to clarify some points.

Very briefly, the event was started to remember my brother who passed away from Cancer and to donated the proceeds to the CHOC Cows.

For the first 5 years that we hosted the Believe MTB we duly paid CSA their funds to sanction our event. CSA however never once attended the event and supplied the commissaries (which you are then also charged for even though you have to have one and they say they supply them???)

Anyone who attended the start of year 2 in the thunderstorm, where we didn't know if we should actually proceed with the event can attest to the fact we were left without support for this crucial and many other crucial decisions.

After years of complaining that we were paying for a service that we didn't receive and simply charging riders more for their entry (day licences) and handing over less to our charity, CSA did arrive for year 6.

The commissaries (very nice gentleman and a lady) arrived in time for the start (definitely not 2 hours before as per their guidelines), smiled and that was about it. no route check, inspections of dangerous area etc etc

I can 100% guarantee you if the CSA had done anything they would have noticed that we used to give free shooters on the water tables, some questions may have been asked and I doubt they would have sanctioned us... Definitely sure it wouldnt have been covered under their insurance policy, which i never actually saw a copy of in all those years. (we took out our own additional event and medical insurance for riders)

I do agree with CSA that there is an easy loop hole for race organisers to hide behind the "we give to charity" sign and write a cheque. However if they would like pictures of my 6 year old packing race packs and learning about giving back to those less fortunate or our "free family and friends labourforce" putting up the start line and manning registration as part of our efforts for CHOC, i can gladly show them.

End of the day I guess the decision came down to paying for a service you didn't receive. Guess this is a huge problem in our country in general, and we decided against doing it again.

I again apologise to those riders who have had to bare the brunt of this, and only wish CSA had granted our request to have the sanction lifted.

Please note

Over the past 2 years the event has been hosted for us, as we moved to Nelspruit and cannot do it ourselves. The first of these years was still sanctioned by CSA.

This years event was sanctioned by the city of Johannesburg JOC, full medical facilities and race insurance was in place,and every safety precaution taken with the help of the venue.

I truly hope CSA can turn themselves around and make a difference to the lives of us every day cyclists and weekend warriors. The guys and girls who I am sure make up the majoirty of the memberships they receive.

Hope to see you at the Believe MTB next year

Thank you for doing what you are doing. Please keep it up.

The world needs to encourage people and events likes yours, not discourage them.

Yours must be one of the most reasonable, considered and topical first posts I have ever seen. You are most welcome to stay and add more value.

Why can't the existing EXCO fix it? Isn't that their mandate?

Its the mandate of an exco to ensure the organisation runs smoothly.

The current exco cant do it so new members are needed. Where are those people coming from?

Its the mandate of an exco to ensure the organisation runs smoothly.

The current exco cant do it so new members are needed. Where are those people coming from?

So you advocate the exco to sit in their ivory towers.  Why can't the exco do it.... it beneath them?

Having also served on committees as an exco, a secretary and a vice chairman of a club (motor club not cycling club) there was nothing stopping the exco getting their hands dirty, in fact half the time there was no choice because there were no members willing... so self appointed titles were put aside and the work was done to ensure the club functioned.

And considering the number appointed to EXCO and MANCO there is no reason why the work cannot be shared or at least the crucial work reassigned to ensure things work.... 

And based your interpretation... exco seem to be failing miserably to ensure the organisation runs smoothly!!

You clearly willingly misinterpret.

An Exco is a steering committee made up of people.

The current group of people do not appear to be meeting your and others expectations so its up to you to vite in new people.

The body as constituted and structured is a separate matter.

So what is it you want ( besides bickering without direction or cause) ?

The current group of people do not appear to be meeting your and others expectations so its up to you to vite in new people.

Does the current EXCO meet your expection?

Misinterpret, I think not!! 

You seem very keen to contradict and also very keen to offer others to do their work!!

Obviously your interpretation of what an EXCO and MANCO are meant to be doing which is different to many... have you in fact read the constitution?

Whilst you broad sweep what this EXCO do, perhaps you may want to highlight in more detail exactly and explain where it is beneath them to fix their failings?

Seems you believe they are meeting expectation and doing a good job.... if that is the case, why do you think there is so much bickering on their failings and the continued loss of membership and that many cyclist want nothing to do with them?

Misinterpret, I think not!!

You seem very keen to contradict and also very keen to offer others to do their work!!

Obviously your interpretation of what an EXCO and MANCO are meant to be doing which is different to many... have you in fact read the constitution?

Whilst you broad sweep what this EXCO do, perhaps you may want to highlight in more detail exactly and explain where it is beneath them to fix their failings?

Seems you believe they are meeting expectation and doing a good job.... if that is the case, why do you think there is so much bickering on their failings and the continued loss of membership and that many cyclist want nothing to do with them?

You are wasting your time playing chess with pigeons.

You are wasting your time playing chess with pigeons.

And you guys are choosing to miss his main point, which is that most of the people are volunteers...

They are clearly as a whole not achieving their mandate, so they need other volunteers to replace them or combine with them to improve the situation.

But where are those volunteers?

Is there someone who knows how to tweet and twitter and send that 1st timer post to CSA on how to manage communications ?

Hell that is the kind of post that gets people to buy plane tickets to go ride events in provinces they dont even live!

Archived