Rear hub bearing wear - what's your experience

Headshot

Depends on the hub. Those Spez ones aren't great, but if they're properly preloaded and maintained they'll go for longer than that.

My favourite are Stans hubs, which can eat a drive side hub bearing in a week.

And there lies the important part - preload. After the repair, the hub in question felt great when the cassette was off  - tighten the SRAM cassette back on and it seems to load up the outer bearing in the free hub which becomes as notchy as anything. Some tapping on the axle seemed to help a bit, but I now have no faith whatsoever in this hub. Poor show Spaz.

Any other suggestions Droo?

And there lies the important part - preload. After the repair, the hub in question felt great when the cassette was off  - tighten the SRAM cassette back on and it seems to load up the outer bearing in the free hub which becomes as notchy as anything. Some tapping on the axle seemed to help a bit, but I now have no faith whatsoever in this hub. Poor show Spaz.

Bring it round, I'll see if I can figure out what it's bottoming out on. Sounds like a spacing issue.

a bigger hammer :blush:

Chris King hubset with their own serviceable bearings + CK hub service tool + CK lube + 1-2hrs a year = 13+ years on the original bearings

Pretty big initial investment, but how much money do people normally spend on new bearings and hub servicing in 13 years?

Chris King hubset with their own serviceable bearings + CK hub service tool + CK lube + 1-2hrs a year = 13+ years on the original bearings

Pretty big initial investment, but how much money do people normally spend on new bearings and hub servicing in 13 years?

120bucks a pop for A NTN bearing that will outlast most hubs its put in

so R720 for most hubs to replace all

I'll stick to hope for now 

R720 per year x13....

I'll take the CK hubs thanks

18months on the last set and yet to feel and grit or dimples thanks

Never put a 12 speed cassette on a Cycleops 2.4 power hub. Bearings last 10 km!  Given up on trying to make it work. Worked ok on teh 10 speed, but the mods to 12 speed have left 4 LBS confused.

• 1 year later...

Yesterday I noticed the drive side on my rear hub to be a bit rough and upon inspection found that the outside sealed bearing in the free-hub body is taking some strain. (I suspect it is now showing as result of all the daily cycling I did early January in the wet near Port Edward)

The inside hub body bearing luckily is still 100% and is keeping things running ok for now.     Bike has done 3500km's

Learning - I should have opened it up completely earlier to clean and give some love, but now I know how to go about it.

Without removing the bearing from the hub, I managed to opened it's  one side by removing the rubber seal and did what I could to clean and re-grease so things are a bit better but still a bit rough.   I don't have the tools to remove and re-seat new bearings but will give the Bearing shop here in Centurion a visit during the week to see if they can assist and supply me with 2 x new sealed bearings of similar or better type,  and the engineering shop next door to possibly remove and re-seat the new ones.

Edited by Ashchest

Managed to get a replacement and slightly better  15 x 28 x 7  6902  for R80 - seems to be the going rate for these types.   It is the same bearing used on my hubs.

Removed the old one easily with a punch and then managed to press the new one using the old bearing and a plastic mallet -   All smooth now!   :thumbup:  :thumbup: