Second hand bikes

JDC

I bought a used bike around six months ago , medium frame 29" rim , MTB , Momsen , from Jarod Grossberg , advertised on this site. While the bike has not been outright bad , he did con me somewhat in telling me when I went to look at it , that he had disconnected the cable to the front shock lock-out , as he "did not like riding it" with the cable on. Admit I was rushing a bit - something that should not happen when you purchase anything of considerable value - so took his comment for granted , and sure enough when I connected the cable and tried , the lock out did not work , which explained the mysterious (surely if one does not like to use lock out , you simply do not engage it ?) explanation he gave . I also have since found out from the bike shop I went that the rear derailleur is almost shot . The brakes work well but are making starange noises so new pads are looking imminent . Several years ago I had bought another second hand bike which turned out having problems that I had not expected to happen , shortly after buying it. So all I am saying really is LOOK VERY CAREFULLY AND TEST THE BIKE THOROUGHLY before purchasing , as in my experience more often than not people will sell when there are problems , instead of being honest (which would mean reducing the price , obviously) they try to hide the faults , then you get caught.

I bought a used bike around six months ago , medium frame 29" rim , MTB , Momsen , from Jarod Grossberg , advertised on this site. While the bike has not been outright bad , he did con me somewhat in telling me when I went to look at it , that he had disconnected the cable to the front shock lock-out , as he "did not like riding it" with the cable on. Admit I was rushing a bit - something that should not happen when you purchase anything of considerable value - so took his comment for granted , and sure enough when I connected the cable and tried , the lock out did not work , which explained the mysterious (surely if one does not like to use lock out , you simply do not engage it ?) explanation he gave . I also have since found out from the bike shop I went that the rear derailleur is almost shot . The brakes work well but are making starange noises so new pads are looking imminent . Several years ago I had bought another second hand bike which turned out having problems that I had not expected to happen , shortly after buying it. So all I am saying really is LOOK VERY CAREFULLY AND TEST THE BIKE THOROUGHLY before purchasing , as in my experience more often than not people will sell when there are problems , instead of being honest (which would mean reducing the price , obviously) they try to hide the faults , then you get caught.

Six months ago and you only posting now??

...the rear derailleur is almost shot ....

How can the rear derailleur be almost shot? I've used derailleurs (Shimano though) for years, with no evidence of "wearing out" or similar. What part of the derailleur? Are you referring to damage from falls etc?

Checking brakes.......always.  If the bike is half of that of a new one.....sure you can squeeze R500 out of your own pocket and do new pads.

The shock situation is not good.

You need to check it though before your part with your money.

Define the "derailleur is almost shot"?

In my experience, derailleurs don't die that easy unless hit with a rock or abused over many many kilometers.

Unless you do all you servicing yourself, and know what to look for, it is always a good idea to take a prospective 2nd hand bike to your LBS and let them give it a thorough assessment.

If the owner has invoices proving the most recent services, that helps too.

While I agree with you that often sellers don't disclose all of the faults when selling a bike etc., consumable items such as brake pads, chains etc. should be considered as needing to be replaced regardless.

This should be factored into the price when you buy a second hand bike - it will more than likely need a service and some TLC. 

Coming on here and complaining in the manner you are is slightly ridiculous. That and the fact that you do so as your 1st post and then wanting to give warning or advise to others? I think you should have educated yourself first before venturing into the deep end or at least taken someone with you that knows how to swim...

the general guidance you are reinforcing in the latter part of your post is welcome.

But perhaps present some visuals wrt your findings on the recent bike purchase? The images will go a long way for other unsuspecting buyers. Make sure they are good quality images, no shakey, blurrey, pixelated nonsense that some pass as images. You were stiffed, apparently. So the rest of us a solid with good visual proof.

Unless you do all you servicing yourself, and know what to look for, it is always a good idea to take a prospective 2nd hand bike to your LBS and let them give it a thorough assessment.

If the owner has invoices proving the most recent services, that helps too.

I agree with you to an extent - definitely worth having a bike shop or someone knowledgable review the bike if you're not sure.

However, not everyone uses a LBS for services. Myself, as an example, never take my bikes near a shop - I do all my service work myself and put a lot of time and effort into maintaining my bikes. 

so basically what you're saying, in a roundabout way is:

http://www.picserver.org/images/highway/phrases/caveat-emptor.jpg

you are buying second hand goods from a private individual, you either take his word for the condition or have it checked out / check it out thoroughly before buying.

You assume the risk when making the decision to buy used

I agree with you to an extent - definitely worth having a bike shop or someone knowledgable review the bike if you're not sure.

However, not everyone uses a LBS for services. Myself, as an example, never take my bikes near a shop - I do all my service work myself and put a lot of time and effort into maintaining my bikes. 

I'm not sure how this is in contradiction to my post?

So you would know what to look for when buying a bike. And if someone bought a bike from you (which was well maintained by you), if they took it to a LBS, it would get a "thumbs up".

FYI, I do most of my servicing too...

I'm not sure how this is in contradiction to my post?

You said if the owner has invoices.

Someone servicing his own bike won't have that.  But it does not mean the bike is not serviced.

Before "naming and shaming" the seller, months down the line, did you engage him about these issues that have started cropping up with the previously used mountain bike you bought and ridden?

Or are you now suddenly have to replace worn parts and that's burning your a r s e?

Archived