Epic 254km Triathlon - my own ultra

Fred van Vlaanderen

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I've pinned down a possible date for this exercise. Decided to go with the Cradle area, as it is convenient. 

Prelim details are as follows:

Date:

Saturday, 4 May 2019

4km Swim:

Cradle Moon lake. We will have one kayak following the swim as a sort of support vessel in case there is a need for anything. The start will be around 6 a.m, which means that the first 30 min's or so would be in twilight.

200km Cycle: 

This will be 5 laps of the extended Cradle loop. Recovery vehicle will be in contact radius, but will not drive the course throughout the cycle. No water points. Plan on making use of Bidon Bistro as a hydration/fueling station. Have to work out the exact distances, but planning on finishing the cycle leg at Bidon Bistro.

50km Run:

Starting at Bidon Bistro running just past the Lion reserve and back will be a 10km out and back route. So x 5 and we're done. Water points aplenty and considering that a significant portion of the run (or mine at least) will be in the dark, I will either have a cyclist or vehicle next to me for support in the latter part of the run.

Let me know if anyone is keen and if you'd like more details. I'm approaching some friends to do parts of the route with me. Aiming to be a fun and relaxed day.

Edited by Fred van Vlaanderen

I've pinned down a possible date for this exercise. Decided to go with the Cradle area, as it is convenient. 

Date:

Saturday, 4 May 2019

4km Swim:

Cradle Moon lake. We will have one kayak following the swim as a sort of support vessel in case there is a need for anything. The start will be around 6 a.m, which means that the first 30 min's or so would be in twilight.

Cycle: 

This will be 5 laps of the extended Cradle loop. Recovery vehicle will be in contact radius, but will not drive the course throughout the cycle. No water points. Plan on making use of Bidon Bistro as a hydration/fueling station. Have to work out the exact distances, but planning on finishing the cycle leg at Bidon Bistro.

Run:

Starting at Bidon Bistro running just past the Lion reserve and back will be a 10km out and back route. So x 5 and we're done. Water points aplenty and seeing as a significant portion of the run (or mine at least) will be in the dark, I will either have a cyclist or vehicle next to me for suppor in the latter part of the run.

Let me know if anyone is keen and if you'd like more details. I'm approaching some friends to do parts of the route with me. Aiming to be a fun and relaxed day.

That will be a tough run, the two hills back to Bidon (x5 after the swim and cycle) will be a killer.

Edited by _David_

Date:

Saturday, 4 May 2019

4km Swim:

200km Cycle: 

50km Run:

Starting at Bidon Bistro running just past the Lion reserve and back will be a 10km out and back route. So x 5 and we're done. Water points aplenty and considering that a significant portion of the run (or mine at least) will be in the dark, I will either have a cyclist or vehicle next to me for support in the latter part of the run.

I'll be a week after running 100 miles that date, so I'll mentally cheer for you from my wheelchair.

That will be a tough run, the two hills back to Bidon (x5 after the swim and cycle) will be a killer.

I'm a bit worried about the cycle route in general as well...

But yeah, I suppose the Nedbank hill is going to hurt a lot.

Yip, super excited, my first 100m

Enjoy!!!

Please let us know how it went. I've also yet to run a 100m... Was considering Addo a couple of years ago, but I'm no fan of the heat, so UTD would be more enjoyable methinks.

Have you done Skyrun?

Enjoy!!!

Please let us know how it went. I've also yet to run a 100m... Was considering Addo a couple of years ago, but I'm no fan of the heat, so UTD would be more enjoyable methinks.

Have you done Skyrun?

No, the self nav scares me to be honest! (as does that mental terrain.)

Ran Karkloof 50 mile last year, so it was time to step up to big boys distance. Still otherwise new to this trail game, there are so many awesome looking runs to do.

No, the self nav scares me to be honest! (as does that mental terrain.)

Ran Karkloof 50 mile last year, so it was time to step up to big boys distance. Still otherwise new to this trail game, there are so many awesome looking runs to do.

Don't let is scare you. Skyrun was literally my second self nav route (first one was Mnweni marathon, a course which is hard to get wrong). I use a Garmin etrex for navigation and it's never failed me and battery lasts  a lifetime. 

Anywho, all the best for the training and build up. Looking forward to your feedback. 

• 2 months later...

Hows this venture coming along?

I'm a little bit behind in terms of fitness as a result of a LC ligament injury, so I've been thinking of moving this out to 25 May. Other than that still very keen and excited. A friend has committed to the full distance on the run leg and cycle, so company is going to be awesome. 

How has training been going for UTD?

We did a similar thing but a bit different on a weekend a while back. Robben island swim to the waterfront, ride around the peninsula plus a few fun loops and climbs (I think it was 214km and then run the Devils Peak, Maclears via Platteklip and Lions head finishing back at the waterfront.

In fact, I might try and organise something similar again.

I'm a little bit behind in terms of fitness as a result of a LC ligament injury, so I've been thinking of moving this out to 25 May. Other than that still very keen and excited. A friend has committed to the full distance on the run leg and cycle, so company is going to be awesome. 

How has training been going for UTD?

I'm glad you're still gunning for it, nice one.

Me...eish, I'm putting in a bit of running mostly around 50kms a week, I know its not enough but such is life. I'm really nervous I won't lie, but I'm also very very excited. 

Weather will be key, I know the guys at Addo burned in the heat, just chatted to someone who did Outeniqua Quest, also properly melting hot.