The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Dude, my gas is on point. Like, seriously. So no worries there.

Besides, if a vegan is outfarting a ~800kg ruminant with four stomachs, then their fartprint is the least of their worries. You'll probably prolapse your rectum before that happens.  :w00t:

Mmm. Risotto rice. 

Aaargh... So many mental images! 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you do, don't Google it.  :excl:

Allywatz Prolapse Edition??  :wacko: 

No man Odinson, thinking about the journey your poor legumes have to take is enough for one day

Some Euro stats on the trends in plant protein: 

[TL;DR version: Europe is wasting high protein crops by feeding them to animals first. Euros are eating fewer cows and pigs, but can't break their cheese addiction. Consumption of meat and dairy alternatives are growing FAST. People should be encouraged to more beans and fewer dead animals - for their health, nutrition, the climate and environment.]

REPORT FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE COUNCIL AND THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT on the development of plant proteins in the European Union - 22.11.2018

• In 2016/17, the EU demand for plant proteins amounted to around 27 million tonnes of crude protein.  The feed market is by far the most important outlet (93 % in volume) and mainly supplied by oilseed meals.
  • Market segmentation
    The market for plant proteins has three different segments: conventional feed, high-value feed, and food – each with their own economic, social and environmental features.

a. Conventional compound feed
The compound feed market is by far the largest market for plant proteins. Two thirds of this market is for poultry (35 %) and pigs (33 %), while ruminants (cattle, sheep, goats) account for 28 %4. Poultry and dairy feed are the main drivers for the annual growth of 1 % (Graph 3), while pig feed has been stagnating.
The growth rate is expected to remain positive until 20305, although only at 0.3 % per year.

b. Premium feed
Consumers in the EU have become increasingly conscious about the way animal products are produced. They demand higher standards as regards animal welfare, environmental impact (climate change/deforestation), type of production (based on organic or non-genetically modified (non-GM) feed, regional supply chains). 

c. Food segment
Human plant protein intake is on the rise in many EU regions, especially in western and northern Europe. Particularly promising is the market for meat and dairy alternatives, with annual growth rates of 14 % and 11 % respectively 
This segment is no longer a niche market, as major food companies enter the market, and major retailers under their own brands. Around 90 % of meat alternatives are consumed by flexitarians. Retailers often promote plant-protein-based products on the same shelves as traditional meat and dairy products. The market for pulses for food in the EU is benefitting from innovations in pre-cooking processes, inclusion of pulses in prepared convenience foods and the development of new pulses such as ‘edamame’. The food market for plant proteins is seeing double-digit growth.

post-62668-0-15524600-1546604902_thumb.png

So, what seems to be the take-aways? For the EU, cow and pig production is forecasted to decline for the most part (yay!). Cow breastmilk, birds and their eggs are either holding steady or increasing (boo!). 

Greater consumer awareness surrounding animal welfare, environmental and production concerns is driving market segmentation, with growth in non-GMO, organic, etc products. 

Very promising is the fantastic growth in meat and dairy alternatives. 

What were the conclusions of the report? 
  1. Conclusions
    1. The EU plant protein sector has grown dynamically in recent years, in particular for the premium feed and food segments. Development will continue to be  influenced by, a.o. the following drivers:
      1. Greater recognition of how legumes contribute to environmental and climate objectives, through agro-ecological practices such as extended crop rotation
      2. Changing consumer behaviour and preferences, including rebalancing plant versus animal protein in human consumption and eco-friendly agriculture
    2. A number of existing policy instruments, and the policy proposals under the new EU multi-year budget (multi-annual financial framework), in particular for agriculture and research, provide options for further strengthening the development of EU-grown plant proteins:
      1. Promote the benefits of plant protein for nutrition, health, climate and environment: Member States and stakeholders are invited to use the various possibilities to proactively communicate and promote protein plants for agriculture, feed and food. The Commission also commits to widely communicate the benefits of plant proteins (e.g. in fairs, social media) and further interact with children via the school schemes.

For any of you who didn't reach their weight loss goals for 2018 and want to look into other options, have a look at the below studies: 

A plant-based diet in overweight individuals in a 16-week randomized clinical trial: metabolic benefits of plant protein

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6221888/#CR26

A Plant-Based High-Carbohydrate, Low-Fat Diet in Overweight Individuals in a 16-Week Randomized Clinical Trial: The Role of Carbohydrates

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30223451

Comparative effectiveness of plant-based diets for weight loss: a randomized controlled trial of five different diets

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25592014

So, what do the studies above show? By following a whole foods plant-based diet (which is modest to low in fat), you can reduce your BMI, fat mass and visceral fat and improve insulin resistance. Important to note that theses studies did also not mandate any changes in amount of exercise or required caloric restriction. 

For anyone who may already have heart problems, I also linked a study in the veganism thread, where the following was found: 

Try a whole food plant-based diet for a month or three and see what the results are for yourself. The only thing you've got to lose is weight. 

Good luck all!

Don't think I linked these studies here. Click on the link and read the articles. Very interesting studies on the benefits of a whole food plant-based diet.  :thumbup:

Edited by Odinson

Dayum, that looks good! Diversity of plants too  :thumbup:

Had a huge bean chili bowl (with toasted soft maize tacos) last night, but was too much of a glutton to take a pic before I tucked in. 

oooooh, bean chilli con carne... :drool:

Brown rice / jasmine rice, chilli, garlic, onion, tomatoes, butter / kidney / green beans, coriander & a lekker dose of fresh lime & lime zest (and creme fraiche)

NOM. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Uni, have you got a recipe for that burrito bowl and Oreo tart?

I didn't make it, I just ate it  :clap:

the burrito bowl is really just a mash up of spicy brown rice, corn, beans, and stirfried veggies.

there's lots of recipes for vegan desserts on google. 

it does get expensive when you start using almond floor etc but so worth it. 

And don't get a shock when the ingredients state avocado :D - trust me it works.

that slice of oreo tart - so rich (and calorie dense) I split it into 2 portions.