The Veganism Thread

Odinson

I am quite proud of being plant based.

But I do not condone this sort of behaviour. It paints everyone with a tainted brush and is not conducive to healthy debate and winning people over.

You catch more flies with syrup than vinegar (had to change the saying from honey cos thats not vegan)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12268442

There are extremists for every agenda on the planet. Unfortunately, no matter how valid the issue, it'll usually get lost on the public thanks to the messengers being so far along the spectrum.

Saying that I do think people love attention more than anything these days, often I doubt the legitimacy of 'the cause' for the second of fame. (Which in itself is a pretty sad indictment, of myself perhaps)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether you're vegan or not, please help the NSPCA in preventing the live export of 60,000 sheep to the Middle East. Sign the petition here: https://nspca.co.za/animal-cruelty/campaign-against-live-export-animals/

he Page Farming Trust of East London and Al Mawashi, a Kuwaiti company registered in South Africa, will be shipping 60 000 live sheep to Kuwait in this September.

On their journey, they will experience at least 22 days of:

• Disease
  • High ammonia levels leading to respiratory and ocular infections
  • Living in their own excrement
  • Motion sickness
  • Overcrowding
  • Overheating
  • Physical trauma and injuries
  • Severe thirst and hunger

If they haven’t died en route, the sheep will be brutally slaughtered fully conscious.

Sign our petition to prevent this cruel, unnecessary suffering.

In mid-September, 60 000 sheep will be sent to the Middle East by ship – their destination? Death.

They will journey for a period of three weeks, subjected to rough seas and completely unnatural conditions.

On board this ship, they will be crammed so tightly that many will not be able to lie down and rest. For three weeks, they will stand, with limited access to food and water and some will have no access at all. To add insult to injury – they will be forced to stand in their own excrement, wearing what is called “fecal jackets”. For three weeks.

https://nspca.co.za/animal-cruelty/campaign-against-live-export-animals/#

From the NSPCA's FB page:

Live export update: contrary to media reports, no permits have been issued to Al Mawashi.

The NSPCA are currently meeting with the National representatives of the Department of Agriculture and will be meeting with the Eastern Cape department tomorrow in East London and have our team ready to go if necessary.

We will be in a better position to update everyone after these meetings but we call on you for your support at this time. This is costing the NSPCA a huge amount of resources - flights, accommodation, meals etc. Please donate www.nspca.co.za/donate

Please be assured that we are doing everything that we can.

Petition: www.nspca.co.za

71115914_10157045572704843_8234504431685

Edited by Odinson

Whether you're vegan or not, please help the NSPCA in preventing the live export of 60,000 sheep to the Middle East. Sign the petition here: https://nspca.co.za/animal-cruelty/campaign-against-live-export-animals/

he Page Farming Trust of East London and Al Mawashi, a Kuwaiti company registered in South Africa, will be shipping 60 000 live sheep to Kuwait in this September.

• Disease
  • Motion sickness
  • Overcrowding
  • Overheating

If they haven’t died en route, the sheep will be brutally slaughtered fully conscious.

In mid-September, 60 000 sheep will be sent to the Middle East by ship – their destination? Death.

They will journey for a period of three weeks, subjected to rough seas and completely unnatural conditions.

On board this ship, they will be crammed so tightly that many will not be able to lie down and rest. For three weeks, they will stand, with limited access to food and water and some will have no access at all. To add insult to injury – they will be forced to stand in their own excrement, wearing what is called “fecal jackets”. For three weeks.

its past mid September?

• Disease
  • Motion sickness
  • Overcrowding
  • Overheating

From the NSPCA's FB page:

Live export update: contrary to media reports, no permits have been issued to Al Mawashi.

The NSPCA are currently meeting with the National representatives of the Department of Agriculture and will be meeting with the Eastern Cape department tomorrow in East London and have our team ready to go if necessary.

We will be in a better position to update everyone after these meetings but we call on you for your support at this time. This is costing the NSPCA a huge amount of resources - flights, accommodation, meals etc. Please donate www.nspca.co.za/donate

Please be assured that we are doing everything that we can.

Petition: www.nspca.co.za

71115914_10157045572704843_8234504431685

yeah, no, I'm sorry - this falls under my banner of WTF is this for? Live shipping, in those conditions, for that long?! Come on, now. 100% agreed with you on this atrocity. 

It's ******* atrocious! All animal exploitation is, but to condemn gentle and innocent creatures to this hell just to pocket some oil $ is sickening. 

This is what these poor animals go through (source: Animals Australia - Oz is also a live exporter to the ME). 

https://youtu.be/d6RKarFD8sY

Slaughtering them locally will be so much more humane.

Indeed. Slaughter, prepare, package. Less space consuming, too. 

And let's face it - it's not like we don't have slaughterhouses that aren't halaal certified. 

Don't slaughter them at all. Don't breed them. Don't commodify them. Don't condemn them to death. If we can do it for the thousands upon thousands of other animal species on earth, we can do it for them too. 

Don't slaughter them at all. Don't breed them. Don't commodify them. Don't condemn them to death. If we can do it for the thousands upon thousands of other animal species on earth, we can do it for them too.

What is the real world alternative?

As is abundantly clear from the climate thread too - Stop being so selfish. Change your life.

As is abundantly clear from the climate thread too - Stop being so selfish. Change your life.

Tell that to the people that will consume these 60 000 sheep. They dont care for emotional statements.

For all of us on here, a plant-based diet. That simple. None of us here struggle with food security. We have the option to choose that way. You don't have to inform your choices because of the situation of other people. 

Personally, I keep my diet simple, with whole fruits 'n veg. Nothing fancy.