The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Anyone know how much I can get for this. My grandfather gave it to me but it has no sentimental value to me at all.

5 heads of broccoli and a tomato  ;) 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The trolling is blatant now, think it’s time for admin to intervene.

:blush: But, but, but, I was just being a tiny bit naughty.......and I kept my reply strictly plant based  :whistling:

More like 40 heads of broccoli and 20 tomatoes, that's equal to R1000 I think.

My wife is sick at the moment, so I had to do the groceries shopping and between the boys (Team DJR) and me, we did all the cooking this week. I suppose I thought we'd just braai all week, but bloody hell, food is seriously expensive! Meat and nice cheese especially! :eek: Purely for financial reasons, we're eating more veggies this week! Otherwise my current bike build will suffer.......and I cannot possibly compromise there! ;)

13 minutes of anecdotal evidence and not a hint of science.

The point is that if you are not feeling great or are struggling with weight, cardiovascular issues, blood pressure issues. Why not give it a try? What have you got to lose?

As long as a bit of work goes into researching the recipes (Odi posted a nice diagram early on in this thread) then why not give it a shot?

13 minutes of anecdotal evidence and not a hint of science.

Well it is proven by a lot meat eater doctors that a vegan diet can reverse the affects of heart disease. It's not always possible to prove everything with 100% science. A great deal of science relies on these type of studies where the doctors have to ask the patients how they are doing and improving.

https://youtu.be/iuOa3avtdNA

Here is 25 minutes of DRs advising against veganism. I guess it trumps yours then????

No man. It's only clickbate. The doctor speaking in the whole video does recommend a plant based diet. He only said that the other doctors don't recommend a vegan diet is because they make more money off of you if you are unhealthy.

If you're motivated by the science:

1. You should eat more veggies.

2. They should not be processed (bread is not a vegetable, neither are those plant burgers)

3. For environmental reasons veggie production shouldn't rely too heavily on fertiliser, or insecticides, or travel very far. (plant burgers flown in from a factory in California, for example)

4. Most of the world can't afford to fix items 1 to 3 in their current diets.

Assuming you can change these things,

5. You should eat less meat. 100-200g a week is enough. This is 2 portions a week, each being the size of a cigarette box.

6. If you don't like meat, you can go a long way to keeping things natural by having milk and eggs in your diet.

However,

1. Almost no one has been vegan for 30 years, no one has been vegan for their whole life (the unfortunate exception being a number of kids raised as vegans in recent times, a number of whom have severe nutrition issues). A 1-week study doesn't equate to decades of following a vegan diet for 60-80 years (Ask the people who thought vaping was safe last year).

2. We know that there are some nutrients which are most easily accessed from animal sources that you may miss out on if you're vegan. The risk of various deficiencies is particularly serious for pregnant women and children. The next most high risk group is athletes. There are deficiencies we only discovered from people on a vegan diet.

3. I have not yet seen a study on the downside of eating meat in moderation. Until I see that I'm a meat eater.

If you're motivated by the feeling you get when you think about eating animals then we just agree that we're not motivated by the same thing.

You can't compare the long term affects of vaping to veganism. If you have a major dificiency in your diet then you will know within a month. It's not like smoking/vaping where you'll know you have problems within a year.

You can't compare the long term affects of vaping to veganism. If you have a major dificiency in your diet then you will know within a month. It's not like smoking/vaping where you'll know you have problems within a year.

So kind of like you bonked within weeks?

Incorrect

Edited by DJR

Wrong