The Veganism Thread

Odinson

giphy.gif

Canada has revamped its food guidelines and it's looking pretty good!

Canada’s revamped Food Guide has finally caught up with scientific evidence

This version has caught up with scientific evidence on diet and health. Here’s why.

Easy to understand. 

The guide’s dietary recommendations aren’t complicated. Eat a variety of healthy foods each day. Have plenty of fruits and vegetables. Eat protein foods. Choose whole-grain foods. Make water your drink of choice.

The picture on the front of the guide, a photograph of real food on a plate (not illustrated foods on a rainbow) is also effective. The message is pretty simple: Fill half of your plate with vegetables and fruits, one-quarter with protein and one-quarter with whole grains.

Whole foods, not nutrients. 

The Food Guide now directs people to whole foods, and has done away with recommending a certain number of daily food-group servings to meet nutrient needs (e.g., calcium from dairy, iron from meat).

Eating the right foods instead of fussing over individual nutrients is the way to go, because if you base your diet on whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and lentils, fish, lean meat, yogurt and so on, you’re going to be consuming plenty of nutrients.

Since 2007, nutrition research has taught us that it’s the overall pattern of our diet that matters when it comes to health.

No more focus on meat. 

The decision to replace nutrient-based food groups with groupings of foods (e.g., protein foods versus “Meat and Alternatives”) has removed the emphasis on meat.

Lean meat is included as one of the guide’s protein foods (along with fish, eggs, dairy, beans, lentils and nuts), but it’s no longer the main attraction. And that’s a good thing.

High intakes of red meat have been tied to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and colorectal cancer. Eating more protein from plants compared to meat, on the other hand, has been associated with a lower risk of premature death from cardiovascular disease.

Downsizing the importance of meat in the diet also reflects findings from environmental research on optimal food choices.

Advice on highly processed foods. 

The revised guide recommends that we don’t eat processed or prepared foods and beverages on a regular basis, to avoid consuming too much added sugar, sodium and saturated fat.

That’s important advice since our increasing reliance on ready-to-eat, ready-to-drink and ready-to-heat highly processed foods has been correlated with higher obesity rates, metabolic syndrome and unhealthy blood-cholesterol levels.

Thanks to their high content of unhealthy fats, sugars, salt and other additives, highly processed foods are intensely palatable, which can make them habit-forming. Plus, they’re low in or lacking fibre, protective phytochemicals and vitamins and minerals that whole foods contain.

T3VHEERIDNBQNITRT5PTLRLOUA.jpg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can have vegan pizzas at all Panarottis (to my knowledge), by requesting the vegan chees/meat options! 

Edited by Odinson

Sorry it's not really related but I thought maybe people on this thread may have more ideas.

I'm kind of tired of roasting or steaming butternut and looking for some other ways to use it/cook etc.

Thank you.

I went to one of these Gastronomy dinner evenings with about 12 different taster plates and being the vegetarian one of them was butternut cooked 3 ways.... it all tasted the same. 

I went to one of these Gastronomy dinner evenings with about 12 different taster plates and being the vegetarian one of them was butternut cooked 3 ways.... it all tasted the same. 

Where?

I've never really used Bulgar wheat before and taste wise i'm not sure how different it is to quinoa but it's quick and simple to make (just soaked in hot water for 15 minutes last night) - just chop up some veggies, add vegan country cylindrical shaped edible things, spice and dressing as desired I guess. 

add some bulk to an otherwise bland salad.

post-44041-0-48097500-1548241238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uni

Cube tasting kitchen when they were in maboneng

We've only been to the pop-up Cube when they were in Bryanston for how ever few months it was. What I do remember was one of the dessert courses. Blew my mind! I made such a fuss the chef brought me a second helping... 

We're keen to go try out the new Est Est Alea soon. 

If you like that tasting plate vibe, save up and go to DW11-13 for some of the best veg food you'll probably ever eat. And the best service. Its a great experience.

I've never really used Bulgar wheat before and taste wise i'm not sure how different it is to quinoa but it's quick and simple to make (just soaked in hot water for 15 minutes last night) - just chop up some veggies, add vegan country sausage, spice and dressing as desired I guess. 

add some bulk to an otherwise bland salad.

attachicon.gifbulgarwheat.jpg

Can Vegan's stop appropriating our food.  If it looks like sausage, then it is sausage, so please stop with the delicious looking fake meat products.  Get your own format of packaging....

Can Vegan's stop appropriating our food.  If it looks like sausage, then it is sausage, so please stop with the delicious looking fake meat products.  Get your own format of packaging....

ok

If you like that tasting plate vibe, save up and go to DW11-13 for some of the best veg food you'll probably ever eat. And the best service. Its a great experience.

really? good to know. when my friends went and I looked at the menu I felt I'd be getting a raw deal with the vegetarian options.

did a whiskey and food pairing once as well and I was really not impressed with the lack of effort to put something interesting together for the vegetarians (so i just drank) 

Going to try this sometime when I can get around to an Albert Heijn: 

Naturli 'Mince'

DSC02156-1024x644.jpg

@Eldron this is from a Danish brand - you should find some and try it. 

really? good to know. when my friends went and I looked at the menu I felt I'd be getting a raw deal with the vegetarian options.

did a whiskey and food pairing once as well and I was really not impressed with the lack of effort to put something interesting together for the vegetarians (so i just drank) 

The not always that terrible last option at a restaurant  :thumbup:

The not always that terrible last option at a restaurant  :thumbup:

especially when it's Bunnahabhain :D

Edited by Uni

Going to try this sometime when I can get around to an Albert Heijn: 

Naturli 'Mince'

DSC02156-1024x644.jpg

@Eldron this is from a Danish brand - you should find some and try it. 

Dont you feel like a fake vegan when you eat fake meat?