The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Damned son, you really drank the coolaid. Those labels, well the first 2 anyway (can’t say I’ve ever seen meat labelled as ‘humane’), tell me how the animal was raised and fed. This affects the meat quality significantly. Nothing to do with easing guilt, everything to do with selling meat to the other 97% of the global population who choose to eat and enjoy it. Not sure if you’ve noticed, but most people on earth have no problem eating animals.

Damned son, read the last paragraph again. 

Also Graham, it's not about you or those who have no issue with consuming animal products. It's about the animals who suffer at our hand for no reason. People need to look beyond themselves to understand that it is unnecessary to exploit these animals if there is no need to do so. 

Also: 

Consumer perception of organic food production and farm animal welfare

This paper is derived from a larger scale project investigating consumer attitudes towards organic food in the UK. Presents focus group results on consumer perceptions, attitudes and behaviour in relation to two key interrelated food trends: organic food and animal welfare. The results indicate that consumers often confuse organic and free‐range products because they believe that “organic” is equivalent to “free‐range” food. Focus group discussions were conducted to identify the main beliefs and attitudes towards organic food of both organic and non‐organic food buyers. Results indicate that, although health and food safety concerns are the main motives for organic food purchases, ethical concerns, specifically in relation to standards of animal welfare, play a significant influencing role in the decision to purchase organic food. The results are consistent with parallel research into consumer concerns about animal welfare, which showed that consumers are primarily concerned about food safety issues. Furthermore, the research illustrates the central outcome that animal welfare is used by consumers as an indicator of other, more important product attributes, such as safety and the impact on health. Indeed, ethical considerations seem to motivate the purchase of organic food and free‐range products and, therefore, may be viewed as interrelated. However, such ethical frameworks are closely related, if not contingent upon, the quality of the product, which includes perceptions of higher standards of safety and healthiness. Based on the qualitative data, suggests that the organic market could take advantage of research on consumer motivation to buy free‐range products, by embodying ethical concerns as an indicator of product quality.

Too many people consider organic and free range as indicators of animal welfare and thus assuage themselves of the guilt in that the animal 'had a good life'. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im telling you. 

I'm not a huge Quorn fan, although I haven't tried a lot of their products. 

Seeing as your in the UK, try some of Vivera's stuff. It's an NL brand, but they're all over the UK. 

Check this out too: 

https://youtu.be/9LKv0BLy99g

They're launching soon it seems. 

I looked one of these cases up to see if its as the headline implies. The parents self-diagnosed their kid with allergies - gluten and lactose intolerant. The child weighed 4kgs at 7 months... thats half?! They refused to take him to a doctor during those months. Instead eventually chose a homeopath, who kicked them out and told them to go to a hospital. Too late.

I'm not sure the diet is the real problem in this case.

Basically what the Dutch response says. Child neglect more than anything else.

You can place a child on a poorly planned plant based diet and there'll be issues, same as with any other diet. 

I'm not a huge Quorn fan, although I haven't tried a lot of their products. 

Seeing as your in the UK, try some of Vivera's stuff. It's an NL brand, but they're all over the UK. 

Check this out too: 

https://youtu.be/9LKv0BLy99g

They're launching soon it seems. 

Neither am I, it tastes like ****.

I actually bought some worsies the first time, thinking it was normal worsies, and I kept moaning that it tasted like ass. Then somebody pointed out.... made sense.

I just thought you would be happy that Tesco stocks it.

I'm back in SA for a while, will check it out when I go back.

Neither am I, it tastes like ****.

I actually bought some worsies the first time, thinking it was normal worsies, and I kept moaning that it tasted like ass. Then somebody pointed out.... made sense.

I just thought you would be happy that Tesco stocks it.

I'm back in SA for a while, will check it out when I go back.

Quorn is old guard 'meat replacement'. There's more sophisticated alternatives now. 

But honestly, Patch, the UK is an absolute mecca of vegan options, London in particular. 

In two weeks' time I'll be there for a short visit and it's on the to-do list to check out all the different grocers and see what they offer. 

You can also check out https://www.plantbasednews.org/ They're a UK based news website, so they're a good news source of all things vegan in the UK. 

Quorn is old guard 'meat replacement'. There's more sophisticated alternatives now. 

But honestly, Patch, the UK is an absolute mecca of vegan options, London in particular. 

In two weeks' time I'll be there for a short visit and it's on the to-do list to check out all the different grocers and see what they offer. 

You can also check out https://www.plantbasednews.org/ They're a UK based news website, so they're a good news source of all things vegan in the UK. 

You going to HQ in Canary Wharf?

Really cool article in Kerrang!

WHY EVERY METAL AND HARDCORE FAN SHOULD CONSIDER GOING VEGAN
Members of Deftones, The Misfits, Arch Enemy, and Cro-Mags explain how going vegan is the ultimate form of rebellion.

https://www.kerrang.com/features/why-every-metal-and-hardcore-fan-should-consider-going-vegan/?fbclid=IwAR3ytn17ZHczowEVPr9h3sAgjySpF6U5Tl8nMT-ZRuSL5JQklLhn4k9CJI4

Edited by Odinson

• 3 weeks later...

Beyond Meat listed in the US a couple days ago.

IPO was done at $25 a share. it gained 165% on Thursday to $65/sh, and looks like its indicating  another +15% this morning....

$143 today, touched $186 yesterday! Madness

$143 today, touched $186 yesterday! Madness

Maybe some pump and dump scheme going on, that's crazy.

They certainly have first mover advantage. It seems the market has been hungry for an alternative meat entry. When Impossible comes to market it'll definitely take the shine off Beyond but I wouldn't be hitting the sell button just yet, long term This isn't a tulip moment - there is massive tangible demand for the products.

There's a lot of hype, so the price volatility is not unexpected. I was keen to throw some dosh during the IPO, but decided to rather let the price settle - which it will in the coming months. 

I'm waiting on some concrete info on their European production facility before pulling the trigger. Once they can drive the price down in Europe and elsewhere and meet the growing demand, it'll just grow from there. 

The one thing that is 'bubble'y about this is the thin free float. Wait a while for the share lock-up to end, the hot money guys will get out, then you'll have a fairer idea of what price looks right and get a cheaper chance to get in.

I still reckon its a screamer though.