The Veganism Thread

Odinson

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time magazine put out another article on eggs. This time citing a new study saying that eating dietary cholesterol found in eggs may be associated with a heightened risk of cardiovascular disease. 

This obviously despite recent popular belief around both eggs and dietary cholesterol being good in your diet. Wishy washy article though.

http://time.com/5551508/are-eggs-bad-for-you/?utm_source=emailshare&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email-share-article&utm_content=20190318

Went right off my egg sarmies when I cracked a egg into the frying pan and a chick landed in there...

Went right off my egg sarmies when I cracked a egg into the frying pan and a chick landed in there...

That’s a bonus, usually you pay extra for chicken veal.

Had no idea who she was still this story broke.

Again, the dangers of fad diets. Who in their right mind does a 25 day water fast and then later refuse medical advice to take antibiotics to deal with SIBO.

An ex vegan??

As with many famous/influential figures these days, this won't affect my life in the slightest.

Sure. I'm just curious as to why a relatively high percentage of those people who obviously feel very passionately about veganism seem to be unable to stick to it long term.

Sure. I'm just curious as to why a relatively high percentage of those people who obviously feel very passionately about veganism seem to be unable to stick to it long term.

Do they feel passionately about veganism, or passionate about just being in the spotlight - its their 'job' at the end of the day right?

I recognized a few names on the list but I honestly don't follow nor keep up with them so I suppose I'm not really suited to debate their integrity to the cause. I'm just pessimistic in general when it comes to people who make money off being valid and current when a trend comes by. Maybe its given honest vegans a window to exploit social media, maybe its given the opportunists the window too in which case it makes sense the numbers will drop off. 

Long story short - a lot of these folks weren’t overly concerned with veganism, but rather building a huge following on the back of plant based eating. I’d say Tim Shieff would be the exception, as he did quite a bit in regards to activism.

Gojiman did a pretty good analysis on this phenomenon

Just to illustrate how much of a scumbag some of these you tubers can be, Rawvanna even monetised her ‘oh **** I got caught out and now have to come clean’ video. For these guys it’s all about the $.

Cant the same be said for the whole vegan industry?

If by “vegan industry” you mean folks/companies selling vegan products, then sure, to an extent. If you can sell low-impact/cruelty free goods and services, why not. However it’s not that binary.

Are activists in it for money? Nope. Compare the lifestyles of the famous (ex)vegan youtubers and activists and you’ll see who’s motivated by money and who’s in it for the cause.

A nice example is Unity Diner in the UK, which funnels its profits into funding the activism campaigns of Surge Activism. Smart way of using a typical profit-driven venture to further the cause.

If by “vegan industry” you mean folks/companies selling vegan products, then sure, to an extent. If you can sell low-impact/cruelty free goods and services, why not. However it’s not that binary.

Are activists in it for money? Nope. Compare the lifestyles of the famous (ex)vegan youtubers and activists and you’ll see who’s motivated by money and who’s in it for the cause.

A nice example is Unity Diner in the UK, which funnels its profits into funding the activism campaigns of Surge Activism. Smart way of using a typical profit-driven venture to further the cause.

Mostly referring to vegan products. Most retailers are starting to give prime space to vegan products. If its selling, great, but Ive noticed our local Checkers running a weekly 50% off vegan products. Seems like they are still testing the waters, but Im sure its booming in other places.